Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 28,795 times

Advertisements

(Sorry for this really long post. I do realize that there have been a few posts earlier on the same topic, but my questions are perhaps more specific).

I would like to learn about the experiences and/or observations from any parent(s) on this forum who are either “actually” sending their kids to any kind of either gifted or advanced programs at elementary schools in NJ or have attempted to do so. I am interested in a commutable distance to New York City, i.e. Middlesex, Essex, Mercer, Morris, Union, etc. We are based in Jersey City and need to move in mid-2013 to send our kid to an elementary school. We are open to both interior NJ as well as New York City, but my post here is primarily to ask about NJ options.

My kid goes to a daycare where they run an advanced curriculum. At age 4 (Pre-K-3), she is able to do easy additions/subtractions, something that is typically taught at Grade 1-2; she can read/write easy sentences, is somewhat ok with phonetics, etc., which is another Grade 1-2 thing. We have barely put any effort with her, and entirely credit her daycare’s curriculum for this.

I don't know if my daughter is really gifted, but what I can see is that she can easily handle stuff that is typically taught to kids who are 2-3 years older.

My main dilemma is that I don't want my kid to waste a few years repeating the same stuff with kids who never went to a daycare and need to learn ABC's or numbers all fresh.

As a part of my current research, I met up with many friends who send their kids to schools in Edison, West Windsor Plainsboro, Summit, etc., and a few who go to private schools like Pringy and Kent. Almost all of my friends invariably claim that their kids are also gifted and also are in some special program at their schools. But then, perhaps due to my limited sample set, to me it looks like that most of my friends’ kids particularly in the public schools aren't really doing anything advanced or extraordinary in their curriculum (even if their parents claim so).

I am in fact confused by the NJ options and alternatives. (I am addressing this post on this forum hoping that it reaches a wider set of parents – and I would be sincerely thankful to all those who can offer experiences and insights.)

Specifics of my dilemmas are as follows:

1. My biggest concern is many folks tell me that gifted or advanced programs in Public schools in NJ are usually only a few hours per week of advanced curriculum rather than a dedicated curriculum and separation of kids. Now I wouldn’t like my kid to spend most of the week learning basics of ABCs again in Kindergarten, when she can already read basic sentences.

2. A friend's kid goes to a North Edison (NE) elementary school and is probably in grade 3 and he does phonetics at the same level as my kid is now doing in Pre-K-3 in her daycare. This friend proudly claims that their kid is in the gifted or advanced curriculum section of that school. After I digged deeper, I learnt that the teacher told him not to force his kids to memorize math multiplication tables (and there are many other such examples), but this is quite the opposite of what some of New York City gifted / advanced elementary schools do.

3. Another relative’s kid goes to the West Windsor Plainsboro (WWP) school district and is also apparently placed in their advanced / gifted curriculum sections, but the parents say they know this by only their own inference. They further say that the elementary school and/or the teachers never reveal whether their kid is in an advanced curriculum because other parents will have an issue if their kids aren’t. My thought about this is: if I don’t even know that my kid does an advanced curriculum, how will I ever infer whether she has really been placed with weaker kids and wasting a few years of her life learning nothing new.

4. I read Edison school district's criteria to distinguish Bright versus Gifted children: http://www.edison.k12.nj.us/cms/lib2...0Grade%205.pdf ; Prima-facie it seems to rely more on teacher's observations. Since all I is really want is to see my kid retain her initial daycare advantages, i am a bit concerned with this approach, i.e. what if she is merely classified by a teacher as “bright” instead of “gifted” (which can even the truth), but then because she is merely “bright”, she may be made to spend a whole year of learning ABCs when she has already been taught to trace ABCs by age 3 at her current daycare. (As a comparison, in some of the New York City’s gifted or advanced curriculum elementary programs, the admission processes are quite clearly stated and include rounds of proper testing and evaluation and generally as per their websites seem more robust.)

5. A few friends high recommended non-sectarian private schools like Kent Place, Pringy etc and swear by them. I haven’t yet attended their open houses although I plan to. Most of my friends who sent their kids there say that the private schools are much better than the public ones. The websites of these schools too seem to have in their mission to “challenge and stretch intellectual capacities”, but the websites themselves do not delve much into their curriculums. (As a comparison, some of New York City’s gifted or advanced curriculum elementary schools describe their curriculum in more specific terms, e.g. in one of them they clearly state that their objectives (in Grade 1) is to make a strong memory, advanced vocabulary, etc.). I would be really thankful, if there are any parent(s) on this forum who sends their kids to these private schools, and if they can provide examples or comparisons of the school’s curriculum (at elementary school level) with regular public schools. Any other thoughts or observations on these private schools versus public ones would also be very helpful.

I would really love to hear from parents who have truly explored options for advanced elementary schools (and their experiences), rather than from those who just ended up sending their kids to public schools at WWP, NE, Sumit, Pricenton, etc., because that’s the usual and typical accepted wisdom.

Thank you (and apologies to all those who ended up reading this long post and realized it wasn’t pertinent to them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,014,105 times
you worry too much.

You ask any parent, and they all claim thier kids are "gifted" :rollesyes:

Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,705,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
you worry too much.

You ask any parent, and they all claim thier kids are "gifted" :rollesyes:
not here, my kids are delightfully average.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM

108 posts, read 295,801 times
Hi,

The best way is to take exam in NYC for the talented and there is a Hunter exam that would let you know if your kids is truely gifted. I don't know if you can justified them being gifted by doing some math and reading. As that only proves what they have learn. The Hunter exam requires a 150 to be truely gifted.

I know there are 2 kids in my daughter 1st grade class that are trying to reading Harry Potter and on 4th grade reading. All the kids score a 99 in the nyc exam and have reading at 3rd grade but I wouldn't say anyone is gifted. All it does is prove they are better reader and a little more mature. As I plan to take my daughter out and move to Jersery and I'm sure everything will take is place.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,014,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypp View Post
Hi,

The best way is to take exam in NYC for the talented and there is a Hunter exam that would let you know if your kids is truely gifted. I don't know if you can justified them being gifted by doing some math and reading. As that only proves what they have learn. The Hunter exam requires a 150 to be truely gifted.

I know there are 2 kids in my daughter 1st grade class that are trying to reading Harry Potter and on 4th grade reading. All the kids score a 99 in the nyc exam and have reading at 3rd grade but I wouldn't say anyone is gifted. All it does is prove they are better reader and a little more mature. As I plan to take my daughter out and move to Jersery and I'm sure everything will take is place.
I agree with this. You put your kid in a preschool that actually teaches instead of just playing with blocks. How many other kids could be doing the same provided they are in that same daycare/preschool as opposed to staying home all day with grandma in order to save the $1200+ a month a preschool/daycare costs? See what I am getting at? Just becuase your kid learned it EARLIER, does not mean they are "gifted".

Wasnt there a teacher on here who posted that many districts call every class "gifted" as to not **** off angry parents who swear there kids are "brilliant"?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM

71 posts, read 227,154 times
only Manalapan (and maybe, Mountain Lakes - not sure) has a self-contained public G&T class, which means a somewhat accelerated cirruculum from Gr.3. Pingry doesn't have any G&T program - it's a lie. All other public schools in NJ might offer your child (if he's indentified as gifted) an G&T pull-out once a week for one or two periods if a school has an established G&T program. Or they would offer you nothing if they don't follow the NJ Educatiopn Code and don't have a G&T enrichment.

If you can afford to live in NYC - I'd have WISC-IV administered to her asap and if it confirms her gifted I'd let her get tested in the NYC G&T program and work from there. If she doesn't get into G&T there and you still want to continue with advanced academics, you can (1) try to find an accomodating Montessori elementary, or (2) homeschool her.

I guess a charter school would be a possibility, but a good charter school if found would offer only slightly better cirruculum.

Good luck!

P.S. common wisdom on such discrepancies suggests go wider if you can't go deeper...

Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulga View Post
only Manalapan (and maybe, Mountain Lakes - not sure) has a self-contained public G&T class, which means a somewhat accelerated cirruculum from Gr.3. Pingry doesn't have any G&T program - it's a lie. All other public schools in NJ might offer your child (if he's indentified as gifted) an G&T pull-out once a week for one or two periods if a school has an established G&T program. Or they would offer you nothing if they don't follow the NJ Educatiopn Code and don't have a G&T enrichment.
Thanks for confirming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulga View Post
P.S. common wisdom on such discrepancies suggests go wider if you can't go deeper...
I didn't quite understand the context - were you referring to the "curriculum" by going wider versus deeper ?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:53 AM

71 posts, read 227,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretosend View Post
I didn't quite understand the context - were you referring to the "curriculum" by going wider versus deeper ?
I meant that:
(1) in term of the subject (let's take math), you don't need to jump to higher grade concepts (for example, multiplication/division) - you can spend forever in addition/substraction widening the scope of the concept... you can introduce problem solving through word problems... you can introduce new bases - try your addition in binary system... you can add fractions, etc... that's the way a typical G&T kid is handled when a teacher is capable and trained, which is almost always NOT the case here, in NJ... with reading/writing it would be so much easier, and teachers are more helpful...

(1) in terms of cirruculum, you widen the scope by introducing and pursuing new complex subjects - chess, music instrument, poetry, etc... Basic academics is not the only way to survive and learn...

Old 03-24-2012, 05:59 AM

50,846 posts, read 36,551,301 times
I have never heard of advanced placement kindergarten or first grade, but thought it started in later grades. Do they really have such a thing?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
I agree with this. You put your kid in a preschool that actually teaches instead of just playing with blocks. How many other kids could be doing the same provided they are in that same daycare/preschool as opposed to staying home all day with grandma in order to save the $1200+ a month a preschool/daycare costs? See what I am getting at? Just becuase your kid learned it EARLIER, does not mean they are "gifted".

Wasnt there a teacher on here who posted that many districts call every class "gifted" as to not **** off angry parents who swear there kids are "brilliant"?
Just for the record, I totally agree with your "Just because your kid learned it EARLIER, does not mean they are "gifted"." comment, however, I see no reason to penalize my kid by having her WAIT so that other kids who stayed at home with their grannies and didn't know ABCs before they joined Kindergarten can catch up to the speed.

One solution I thinking to explore is private schools in NJ and NYC that at least use ERB as one of their admission criteria inputs (where ERB primarily tests for Kindergarten readiness rather than gifted per se which Stanford-Binet or OLSAT etc attempt to do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey