Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM

107 posts, read 201,858 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody!
I live in East Brunswick and I would like to know where the best Italian Bakery is? I need somewhere that sells really, really good cannolis. I love them and I used to get them a lot when I lived in the Bronx because I would go to Arthur Avenue (Little Italy of the Bronx). Please can someone get back to me with this info. I would really appreciate it. Thanks. God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalalien View Post
The next day I landed in US; my husband brought me my first 'strawberry cheesecake" from shoprite. I fell in love with cheesecake and with America from that day on; and never stopped loving
I am awed at the variety of "dessert" options and cusine (and the appreciation for every cusine) that one can find in US.
Thanks for the lovely lists.
Truly
LA
That's not all the US, unfortunately. The NY Metro & most of NJ does offer great variety in every sense of the word. I came to the US when I was 5 and assumed all of America was pretty much like this with just variation in population. Boy, was I in for a huge culture shock after moving to PA. There is NO such bakery around where I live. Supermarkets make fake cannolies(sp?) and that is as fancy as it gets. The cheesecakes here are ewww, they make NJ's supermarket cheesecakes look like top french bistro fair. I'm waiting on my sister to come back from NJ with some napoleons & real cannolies(sp?) this weekend,lol. Hmmmm I should ask for lobster tails, too. Welcome, and enjoy NJ & NYC. I don't care what anyone says, it beats most states any day! Love NYC & NJ!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:31 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
I will probably have to revoke my NJ Citizenship card after this statement but oh well - I hate Calandra's bread. I haven't tried any pastries, etc from there though.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I will probably have to revoke my NJ Citizenship card after this statement but oh well - I hate Calandra's bread. I haven't tried any pastries, etc from there though.
I lived near there for a long time, and never tried Calandra's. I may, if I happen to be in the area, no special trip.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcin View Post
Hi Everybody!
I live in East Brunswick and I would like to know where the best Italian Bakery is? I need somewhere that sells really, really good cannolis. I love them and I used to get them a lot when I lived in the Bronx because I would go to Arthur Avenue (Little Italy of the Bronx). Please can someone get back to me with this info. I would really appreciate it. Thanks. God Bless.
I live in the area and you're mostly out of luck for good cannolis. We have to drive up to North Jersey and buy in bulk.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:25 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
This is what happens when I post in the middle of the night. I make a "sweet" joke and don't even realize it!

It is where Maria's used to be! It is rather awkward to get in there (if you miss the entrance and you'll have to drive around for quite awhile before getting back). However, the little place was pretty full. I guess the allure of those Italian goodies was too much!

Meanwhile, you can drool over the photos on their Facebook page, and notice all of the great reviews they are getting. The rave reviews are almost Scone Pony-like (the Scone Pony in Spring Lake is why I started this thread in the first place). Besides, the Scone Pony is closed until February for their winter break:

https://www.facebook.com/Palazzone1960

Palazzone 1960, 21st Century Imported Café | é foti

Palazzone 1960 - Wayne, NJ
O.M.G. I finally took a trip to this place today. This place is a winner. A WINNER.

I have complained on this and other boards about the state of bakeries in North Jersey. Most of the bakeries here either sell junk or have prices that are beyond ridiculous. ($40 for a small cake? My parents bought cars for less!)

This place is unlike any other bakery I've seen in this area. It's light, bright, and roomy inside. They have a long case with all kinds of pastries, cakes, and treats. The family/staff running the place are hardcore, full Italian. (In fact, they were speaking mostly Italian, but their English was certainly fine.) The few customers that were there all seemed to be Italian. And these people know good stuff.

And now for the best part. Not only is the quality of the treats incredible (even the cannolis are dotted on each end with candied orange peel), the prices are reasonable! I picked up a very nice Sacher torte for $16. $16. Not $45, you other greedy North Jersey bakeries, $16. Large, dense, fully filled pastries were $2 - $3 each. When I asked about a lemon custard tart, they actually offered me a full mini pastry version to try without blinking. How's that for service?

For $30, I got six large pastries and the Sacher torte. Lower quality, smaller portioned stuff would have probably cost close to double that in other places around here. The location is tough as previously mentioned, but the access to the lot seems to be greatly improved from what it was with Maria's Ravioli. GO. TO. THIS. PLACE. NOW. Before the word really gets out, when you'll have to wait on Carlo's Bakery like lines and they raise their prices. I will be back very very soon.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
O.M.G. I finally took a trip to this place today. This place is a winner. A WINNER.

I have complained on this and other boards about the state of bakeries in North Jersey. Most of the bakeries here either sell junk or have prices that are beyond ridiculous. ($40 for a small cake? My parents bought cars for less!)

This place is unlike any other bakery I've seen in this area. It's light, bright, and roomy inside. They have a long case with all kinds of pastries, cakes, and treats. The family/staff running the place are hardcore, full Italian. (In fact, they were speaking mostly Italian, but their English was certainly fine.) The few customers that were there all seemed to be Italian. And these people know good stuff.

And now for the best part. Not only is the quality of the treats incredible (even the cannolis are dotted on each end with candied orange peel), the prices are reasonable! I picked up a very nice Sacher torte for $16. $16. Not $45, you other greedy North Jersey bakeries, $16. Large, dense, fully filled pastries were $2 - $3 each. When I asked about a lemon custard tart, they actually offered me a full mini pastry version to try without blinking. How's that for service?

For $30, I got six large pastries and the Sacher torte. Lower quality, smaller portioned stuff would have probably cost close to double that in other places around here. The location is tough as previously mentioned, but the access to the lot seems to be greatly improved from what it was with Maria's Ravioli. GO. TO. THIS. PLACE. NOW. Before the word really gets out, when you'll have to wait on Carlo's Bakery like lines and they raise their prices. I will be back very very soon.
I'm so glad you liked it! It is a very promising place. I haven't gone back because I've been sick with a cold, but I plan to go back very soon.

I hope you love the torte and pastries! I'll have to try that torte! Research, you know.

I just want to tell anyone going there that it is a bit awkward to find if you are not familiar with the area. If you miss the entrance, you have to drive up the highway, take a U-Turn, drive back down the highway, take more U-turns . . . it's all right if you are familiar with the area. It is right past Willowbrook Mall but on the Route 23 (Pompton Avenue) side, not the Route 46 side. If you leave Willowbrook Mall from, you take a left turn onto Route 23.

The configurations of the several highways make it complicated, but it is definitely worth it.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM

88,559 posts, read 84,738,350 times
This thread is killing me! I want it all.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This thread is killing me! I want it all.

It is clear we must get together and do a bakery crawl....you know, because we need to do our due diligence and research. Lets see, Calandra's, B & W, Scone Pony, Palazzone, Gencarelli's, Viking, Natale's,...

KoalaNJ

Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
It is clear we must get together and do a bakery crawl....you know, because we need to do our due diligence and research. Lets see, Calandra's, B & W, Scone Pony, Palazzone, Gencarelli's, Viking, Natale's,...

KoalaNJ
Sounds like a delicious road trip! Has the Munchmobile ever done such a trip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey