Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
If you are married you do not HAVE to pay for college tuition. If you are divorced, should the child decide to go to college, both parents are REQUIRED to pay for college as long as the child has not been emancipated. (18+, working full time, living with someone other than a parent, married).
What if the kid decides they want to go to an out of state Ivy league school, you can hardly expect any parent to pay 80k a year for college. There must be some kind of limits in place, after all don't divorced parents have any rights? Hell if might be cheaper to hire a hit man for 40k to knock the kid off if you really don't want to be in debt the rest of your life. While I can see wanting to give your children as much as you can afford, you really shouldn't have to suffer to give your children things you CAN'T afford.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Let her get student loans, since your ex is in jail, it makes no sense ask him to pay for child support since she is already 18.

If she is not a straight A student, she should go to a state school, don't bother with the pricey private schools.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
My child will turn 18 and the end of May and will leave high school at the end of June, at this present time I have been paying child support and covering her medical insurance starting around October of 2013 also was when the last time that I communcated with her she has told me that she does not have anything to do with me. I sat back and deicded that if this is the choice that she has made so be it, no one has contacted me on if she will be attending any type of higher education once she leaves high school I am asking that she submit a transcript from the school that she will be attending to the court due to the fact that she does not commucate with me. Also if she joins the military to submit that to the court and once that is submitted to the court that the child supprt stopped along with medical insurance, is that something that I am premitted to do?.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:20 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
What if the kid decides they want to go to an out of state Ivy league school, you can hardly expect any parent to pay 80k a year for college. There must be some kind of limits in place, after all don't divorced parents have any rights? Hell if might be cheaper to hire a hit man for 40k to knock the kid off if you really don't want to be in debt the rest of your life. While I can see wanting to give your children as much as you can afford, you really shouldn't have to suffer to give your children things you CAN'T afford.
You don't, its based on the parents ability to pay. If the parents only make 30-40k year the courts are not going to make the parents pay 80k/year in tuition. But, that doesn't mean you don't have to pay anything at all. The child would have to make up the difference in grants, financial aid, work study, etc. Having said that, what the courts think you should pay and what YOU think you should pay will most likely be very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown2003 View Post
My child will turn 18 and the end of May and will leave high school at the end of June, at this present time I have been paying child support and covering her medical insurance starting around October of 2013 also was when the last time that I communcated with her she has told me that she does not have anything to do with me. I sat back and deicded that if this is the choice that she has made so be it, no one has contacted me on if she will be attending any type of higher education once she leaves high school I am asking that she submit a transcript from the school that she will be attending to the court due to the fact that she does not commucate with me. Also if she joins the military to submit that to the court and once that is submitted to the court that the child supprt stopped along with medical insurance, is that something that I am premitted to do?.
NJ will assume you will continue paying until such time as you can prove the child is emancipated. Yes that means you could continue to pay the child (not their other parent) well into their 20's. But, getting a full time job, living on their own (not in dorms but in an apartment in their own name), joining the military, all fall within the scope of emancipation and you would have to request payment be stopped.

If you don't have court ordered payments taken out of your salary, then your agreement is with the child/their other parent and you can stop any time you all agree. "I" would get the other parent to sign something should they then change their mind afterwards.

Disclaimer, I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. This is simply my take on how things work based on my experience going through the courts myself.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,150 times
Okay if a child is 18 years old and goes to college but the father pays child support does the money go to the child or the mother ?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown102 View Post
Okay if a child is 18 years old and goes to college but the father pays child support does the money go to the child or the mother ?
The lawyers. It always just goes to the lawyers.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown102 View Post
It goes to the custodial parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
The lawyers. It always just goes to the lawyers.
LOL

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,150 times
But if the child is not living with a custodial parent ( which is the mother ) but she still gets the check but doesnt put none of it out to provides for that childs college tuition then shouldnt the money go straight to the child.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:18 PM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
When you get divorced you can lose your right to decide about college. If you stay married you do not have to pay. I lost the right to decide if I wanted to pay for my son's college. You can negotiate for the choice, but if one party wants the college education then you most likely will lose the choice.

I always planned to pay for my son's college, I just did not want to be forced to pay by an outside, unrelated party. So because I could no longer live with the ex I lost the right not to pay for college. They are unrelated, but because you failed at marriage court system punishes you. It is a joke. The decision was made when he was 5. What if he was not suited for college? What if I no longer had the ability to pay? Should I be forced to get college loans? I already paid off my own loans. When did a college education become a right?

I also pay child support to the ex while he is in college, but at a reduced rate.

If it is not defined in the agreement then you might be off the hook.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:08 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
did it cost this woman 20 cents an hour to raise the child? i dont care what he earned while in jail, the woman (well maybe taxpayers also) had to bear his share of the burden for raising the child. he owes for that, as far as im concerned.
Ever hear the expression about blood and turnips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey