Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,475 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are considering buying a home in New Providence, for its highly rated schools, with relatively affordable housing (compared to towns like Madison, Chatham, etc). We are wondering if we should also consider Scotch Plains. We are specifically concerned with K-8 at this point. Does anyone have any comments? Aside from schools, what's the community culture like?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM

6 posts, read 14,304 times
Default scotch plains

i dunno much about new providence, except that it's a pretty area, in the watchung mountains, and close to 78.

i think scotch plains is great... you get a quality public school education, it's a beautiful area, lots of peace and quiet, and the train to NYC (ne corridor) is right in the fanwood downtown area. another plus is I don't think you get half as many snotty people as you do in places like westfield, which is full of wannabes and new flashy money - their kids are just as insecure about status as the parents are. yikes. i wouldn't want my children to be exposed to that at such an early age.

also in scotch plains, there is a lot around in regards to shopping in neighboring towns... you don't have to shell out a grand at the King's in westfield when you have the south plainfield shopping area close by. convenience is a plus. it's closer to the malls as well.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 PM

23 posts, read 59,053 times
IMO, New Providence School District is overated.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPparent View Post
IMO, New Providence School District is overated.
Can you be more specific?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM

63 posts, read 143,340 times
born and raised in scotch plains and now I'm 50! Raised two kids there. Schools have excellent ratings. All the elementary schools are great. Rich side of town goes to Terrill Middle school which is much newer than Park Middle School. The high school in my opinion is like any other. If you child is a good student, they will be a good student no matter where you put them. I know many move into town for their children with Autism because of the programs schools have. I think its a great town, diversity amongst religions, races. the "rich" side of town is the south side which is over the railroad tracks on south ave. The north side is also very nice, with the best location off westfield road know at "the homestead section". The property's sit on bigger lots than most of the north side of town. I personally lived on both sides, north and south, and prefer the north.. It's much more convenient to shopping, library and walking distance to the High School. If your commuting into the city there are lots of nyc commuters in the town. Also check out Fanwood. Schools are the same since it's Scotch Plains-Fanwood Highschool. The train station is in fanwood. They have some really nice older homes. Taxes are just a bit higher. There is also the train in westfield also very close. They have buses run into the city. The homes on the south side can start at 350-2 million easy. Fanwood, the cheapest house I found was a 2 bedroom 2 bath for 275,000!! Boy, once you move out of town it's sure hard to get back in. Currently living in PA and on my way back! Can't afford Scotch Plains anymore, but I'll take anywhere in NJ compared to PA! If you want more specifics, i can even tell you how good the streets are if you find a home on it and want an opinion. Thats how well we knew the area! Hope you look into S. Plains. I think youll like it. PM me if you want!

Judy

Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Scotch Plains is a beautiful area.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 PM

23 posts, read 59,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Can you be more specific?
In my opinion, some teachers are handing out As and Bs like candies and some are clueless.

I know the above is not specific and I haven't decided whether I should summarize my experience in you tube with their words, or write a blog about my experience. I will update....
Incidentally, I have been looking at Scotch Plains..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey