Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,807 times

Advertisements

I recently went to Michael Arnone's Crawfish Festival in Augusta, NJ.

Then I stayed in a very nice inn in Wantage.

I loved the area and the scenery.

I've always been into the outdoors and enjoy hiking, canoeing and a plethora of outdoor activities.

I live in Hackensack and usually have to commute to Central and South NJ to hike, bike, etc., which is a long commute to and from.

On the drive back from the festival this weekend, I was particularly attracted to Hamburg and Franklin.

Does anyone live in Sussex County? How is it? Best places to live? Any apartment communities worthwhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:17 PM

167 posts, read 310,716 times
I live in Sussex. It is a very nice place to live. Not so much fun if you have to get to work a distance away. Where to live depends on what you are looking for. Hamburg and Franklin are less rural then other areas but close to Rt 23 and the stores. Some apartments in Franklin and many rent condos in many of the towns. Franklin Meadows in Franklin, Great Gorge village in Vernon by the ski slopes, Heritage Lakes in Hamburg, apartment complex off rt 284 in Sussex or Wantage.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla151 View Post
I live in Sussex. It is a very nice place to live. Not so much fun if you have to get to work a distance away. Where to live depends on what you are looking for. Hamburg and Franklin are less rural then other areas but close to Rt 23 and the stores. Some apartments in Franklin and many rent condos in many of the towns. Franklin Meadows in Franklin, Great Gorge village in Vernon by the ski slopes, Heritage Lakes in Hamburg, apartment complex off rt 284 in Sussex or Wantage.
What would the rent be like in Franklin?

I think the fact that it wasn't so rural, but that the "small town" feel is what I liked most about it.

I currently do work in Manhattan. And I do realize that it would be a long commute, which is one of my con's. Also since my boyfriend lives in Queens NY. Right on the outskirts of Long Island. Very far.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 AM

292 posts, read 718,628 times
Better off in northern Morris (Riverdale, Pequannock, Montville) or West Milford. Sussex is just too far from everything despite being beautiful, so is West Milford but at least its near Warwick. However, if you really love Sussex I'd go with Vernon.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Your commute is going to be a killer, especially winter when NYC is getting rain and Sussex is getting snow/ice.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Better off in northern Morris (Riverdale, Pequannock, Montville) or West Milford. Sussex is just too far from everything despite being beautiful, so is West Milford but at least its near Warwick. However, if you really love Sussex I'd go with Vernon.
I did like West Milford!! Also a nice area! I have to go visit Vernon also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Your commute is going to be a killer, especially winter when NYC is getting rain and Sussex is getting snow/ice.
I have a small truck. Will that make any difference?

Also, what is the COL for these areas? Vernon, West Milford, Etc.?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:26 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post

Also, what is the COL for these areas? Vernon, West Milford, Etc.?
Not when you're behind 1000 cars crawling through the slush.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 PM

58 posts, read 153,484 times
I would not go further north than west milford if you need to commute to manhattan.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 AM

167 posts, read 310,716 times
You aren't going to like the commute to NYC from Sussex County. Everyone in my family works in Sussex County but recently had to get into the city during rush hour traffic and it was terrible, it took us almost two hours. I know people who commute to NYC for work but they make their own hours and can work at home as well. When friends and family I know want to move to Sussex County for the same reason you say I always tell them to do the commute during rush hour and see how they like it. There is a limit to how much time you want to spend in your car. You may think driving to south or central Jersey or Sussex county to hike and enjoy the scenery and activities is easier than commuting to NYC every day. Even West Milford is a trip.... unless you find something right off Rt23 because West Milford goes a long ways out Macopin and Echo Lake Rd. ( I think those are the names of the main rds. in West Milford. People do travel to NYC. roads are kept nicely in Sussex County during snow storms.
Vernon is also next to Warwick NY. Rt 94 in Vernon turns into Main St Warwick.
Rent I know you can get 1 bedroom1 bath in Great Gorge Village for about $800 Franklin meadows 2 bedroom 2 bath $1000 $1200.
It is all about the commute.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post

Actually, RWD pickup trucks are among the worst when it comes to traction--unless you load a couple of hundred pounds of ballast over the rear axle. An unladen pickup truck has lousy rear traction.

On the other hand, if that pickup truck has 4WD, then you will have an easier time traversing rural snow-covered roads. But--as HalfFull correctly notes, your actual speed will be dictated by the thousands of vehicles crawling in front of you on those stormy winter days.

I would suggest that you only consider a commute to NYC from Sussex County if you are willing to endure some winter commutes that consume as much as 3 hours each way. Most people don't have the energy to do this for more than 1 winter, so you might want to consider the winter commuting factor before you commit to a lease or purchase in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey