Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
thats you, i pick my women, not the other way around
and "most" women dont like ultraconservative, uptight, corny, snobby thinkin they know it alls, u mite think they like u, but they only like what u got
im an individual, i think and speak how i want, if someone doesnt like it, they can get out the way
if U dont like whats goin on...u betta get used to it
i do think women like me. but it only serves to break their delicate little hearts because im a happily married man. you arent an individual. speaking ebonics isnt an individual choice, you just mimic the actions of countless other lost youth because you feel it gives you some kind of identity thats "cool." you are just trying to be different in the same exact way as so many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I don't understand why you guys are ragging on OleSchool. I think he has proved that he is intelligent and contributes a lot to this board. A dialect isn't "bad English," it's a dialect. It's as simple as that, ask any linguist. Obviously, there are cases where speaking in a dialect or with an accent is not appropriate, and OleSchool has already stated that he is well aware of those situations and has no problem code-switching as necessary. The City Data forum is definitely not one of those cases.

Instead of putting him down and claiming you are more mature than him and perceiving him to be of lower intelligence than you, I suggest that people actually comment on the content of his posts rather than the way he presents them.
exactly, u get it
people act like this is a grammar school or a troubled youth lecture camp instead of an info board, they are just too sensitive and too insecure, its like why they care about me? they understand eryth i wrote so why they keep complaining lol becuz i dont fit in their box, thats y, they need to get off my genitalia and look in the mirror first...

Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i do think women like me. but it only serves to break their delicate little hearts because im a happily married man. you arent an individual. speaking ebonics isnt an individual choice, you just mimic the actions of countless other lost youth because you feel it gives you some kind of identity thats "cool." you are just trying to be different in the same exact way as so many others.
i got my own identity, i speak and do what i like without tryin to satisfy someone, and thats what makes me an individual, people like me are trend setters, ur a trend follower, and b4 u say someth bout me following ebonics or rap trends or whateva, the rap im into is not a hot trend so im not following the masses, i follow what I like
im into this typa thing so thats why i speak how i speak, thats not even ebonics
ur into being a WASP clone with no identity so u speak like one, its normal

Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
i got my own identity, i speak and do what i like without tryin to satisfy someone, and thats what makes me an individual, people like me are trend setters, ur a trend follower, and b4 u say someth bout me following ebonics or rap trends or whateva, the rap im into is not a hot trend so im not following the masses, i follow what I like
im into this typa thing so thats why i speak how i speak, thats not even ebonics

I call POSER !

Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Hmmmm...I think that I might remember him.
Was he a Port Authority police officer?

I know who you're talking about....but nooooooo. My dad was on in the 60's when it was filmed in NY (as was my aunt, his sister). Art Fleming days. He died before Alex Trebek reincarnated it.

My dad was a Hudson County Jail Dep. Warden.

My lawyer however was a 5 time champ and came in 2nd in the tournament. This was circa 1995ish....

Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
taking speech therapy jus to sound WASPY, yea a person musta been ashamed, im not sayin if u sound ghetto as hell then u shouldnt change it, but to have some kinda accent is not a big deal
what makes u think all women are like yo wife and why would i wan be with yo wife anyway if shes like you
shiiii, maybe only for one night if shes good looking
You are clueless. I was pissed to take therapy, but I HAD TO. Should I have said "Eff you, I ain't takin no speech therapy, take my diploma and SHOVE IT!". Yeah, that would've shown them.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I don't understand why you guys are ragging on OleSchool. I think he has proved that he is intelligent and contributes a lot to this board. A dialect isn't "bad English," it's a dialect. It's as simple as that, ask any linguist. Obviously, there are cases where speaking in a dialect or with an accent is not appropriate, and OleSchool has already stated that he is well aware of those situations and has no problem code-switching as necessary. The City Data forum is definitely not one of those cases.

Instead of putting him down and claiming you are more mature than him and perceiving him to be of lower intelligence than you, I suggest that people actually comment on the content of his posts rather than the way he presents them.
It's very hard to take his content seriously when you can't decipher his posts without an Ebonics to English translator. It's like someone who rants forever in a post without paragraphs or punctuation. You glaze over after a bit.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
It's very hard to take his content seriously when you can't decipher his posts without an Ebonics to English translator. It's like someone who rants forever in a post without paragraphs or punctuation. You glaze over after a bit.
so dont read it then, nobod put a gun to yo head

Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
you dont have your own individual identity. your persona is a complete imitation. you are like those emo kids who get the same haircut and have the same depressing attitude. you dress according to a certain music style and you speak according to a certain speaking style that you took from other people.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
realistically, he doesnt seem like much of an over achiever even if he was speaking perfect english. i dont really like to directly insult people (partially because it isnt necessarily their fault and low intelligence people can still live happy and productive lives). my method is to do it indirectly so when they insult me i come off as the better person. i remember once a while back he posted something questioning his clothing and speaking style and whether it was something that would hold him back (at least thats how i remember it). i appreciated that he was asking and maybe considering changing to better himself. but he clearly had no interest in changing just justifying his ridiculous choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey