Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM

683 posts, read 465,325 times

Advertisements

I just contacted Meals on Wheels in a particular town for a on behalf frail and feeble person that I know.
They were so nice on the phone but explained that there is a "freeze" and not taking any more clients.

I have been paying taxes, tons of them to the state of New Jersey for decades. For what? Seriously, for what? Here is an elderly needy person and we can't get meals delivered to her because we've squandered our money on what? Tell me? I don't want to hear anything about state employees.

What else have we pi$@$@ our money away on? And why can't we just increase the tax on those 1%er's? Maybe they'll have a frail and elderly relative become a victim of the society some day. Then we'll have our last laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:52 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,601 times
You are absolutely correct. Please call Governor Christie....maybe he will help you. He has done nothing to help our elderly and disabled in NJ except continue to cut, cut, cut programs. The top earners in NJ need to be taxed higher as they have always in the past. Needless to say, they are not "job-creators", they are just rich and need to "share in the sacrifice".

Old 06-25-2012, 04:34 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
That is terrible! Yes, this is all due to budget cuts, they'd rather give your tax money to corporations than your friend.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Isn't it ironic that our esteemed governor--who has obviously never missed a meal--has imposed budget cuts that deprive the most vulnerable people in our state of adequate food intake?

Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Wheels on Meals is not a state or federally run organization. It is run through various charity organizations and entirely volunteer run.

Meals on Wheels Locations Nationwide

You might call around senior centers or elderly care organizations to find out if there is another place you can get help for your friend.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
While Meals on Wheels does rely on volunteer workers, it subists on both government funding and corporate donations.
In the case of the OP--who I believe is based in Somerset County--the Somerset County Meals on Wheels program is administered on the county government level.
Funding comes from...the county and other sources...including the pass-through of monies from the State of NJ.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:55 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,900 times
Meals on Wheels in my part of Tx. is NOT a county funded organization...It receives no funding from tax dollars and is
entirely dependent on donations, grants, fundraising efforts of local organizations as well as the individual centers...we too are in a budget crunch and not able to help everyone that needs it...there are other agencies in the county that
senior citizens can be referred to for assistance, however...

does your state have a 2-1-1 referral service? maybe they can help

Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Isn't it ironic that our esteemed governor--who has obviously never missed a meal--has imposed budget cuts that deprive the most vulnerable people in our state of adequate food intake?
Really. 100 seniors could live off of what our bloated gover-nator eats in a single day.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:28 AM

683 posts, read 465,325 times
I didn't know that Meals on Wheels was private. My bad.

Anyway, the person I was calling for lives in Monmouth County.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 PM

27 posts, read 159,361 times
I suggest if you wonder where all that money goes you visit Newark, Paterson, East Orange, Camden etc. at noon on a Tuesday and check out all the people walking around or sitting on their porches with 5 babies and Gucci clothing. They sure as hell aren't working and these people drain state aid like it's going out of style. Blame them. Not people like governor Christie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey