Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,408 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My realtor showed me a house on Edgar Place in Elizabeth that my husband and I really liked, but I don't know anything about the area or the city.

The biggest concerns are safety, but community feel is important too (mixed ethnicity, mixed everything is preferable). I have been trying to sift through some of the older posts on sections of Elizabeth and everyone seems to prefer "north elizabeth" - the problem is that my husband needs to be able to get into NYC to be at work by 6:30 in the morning and would greatly prefer a bus rather than a train (I know, he's quite picky). It looks like the 112 stops one block away early enough to meet all his needs, so we're quite tempted by the house. (The price _seems_ right too - large house, ~400,000...)

Does anyone have opinions on the area? I realize that it's less than a mile from the Broad Street Station and people seem to be warning against that. Does anyone live near there?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,970,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NhfS View Post
Hi all,
My realtor showed me a house on Edgar Place in Elizabeth that my husband and I really liked, but I don't know anything about the area or the city.

The biggest concerns are safety, but community feel is important too (mixed ethnicity, mixed everything is preferable). I have been trying to sift through some of the older posts on sections of Elizabeth and everyone seems to prefer "north elizabeth" - the problem is that my husband needs to be able to get into NYC to be at work by 6:30 in the morning and would greatly prefer a bus rather than a train (I know, he's quite picky). It looks like the 112 stops one block away early enough to meet all his needs, so we're quite tempted by the house. (The price _seems_ right too - large house, ~400,000...)

Does anyone have opinions on the area? I realize that it's less than a mile from the Broad Street Station and people seem to be warning against that. Does anyone live near there?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
I think you need to do much more research and your husband needs to be flexible, buses are slow the train is fast.
Elizabeth is an old worn down city that has all the problems associated with any lower income decaying city.
You might feel that there are no issues that bother you, I would say that you need to be very diligent doing research on the block, the surounding areas and the transportation before buying there, good luck

Old 10-01-2007, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,408 times
Dear apvbguy,
Yes, thank you - the reason I'm posting here _IS_ to do more research on that block and I'm hoping people who live near it can help me since I don't currently live anywhere near elizabeth.

Anyone have the suggested specific insights into what that block is like?

Thanks again

Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,970,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NhfS View Post
Dear apvbguy,
Yes, thank you - the reason I'm posting here _IS_ to do more research on that block and I'm hoping people who live near it can help me since I don't currently live anywhere near elizabeth.

Anyone have the suggested specific insights into what that block is like?

Thanks again

you more than likely will not find what you need here, you need to go there at different times, weekends, evenings school days whenever and see for yourself how everyday life plays out there.

my opinion with limited knowledge is that the area stinks and you could do much better in places not too far from there, you need to spend some time searching

Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,398,397 times
IMO, there's nothing in Elizabeth worth $400k- especially if you're that close to the train station. I grew up in Woodbridge and spent quite a bit of time in Elizabeth- it was crummy then, and it certainly hasn't gotten any better.

Bob

Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 AM

562 posts, read 2,616,165 times
Ok.. I know the area as it's near Elmora ave.. you are right the bus is within 1 block.. you husband should be ok commuting to NYC from there.. I too catch the 112 (from Elmora Ave) when I need to work out of our NYC office.. it's true that the train runs faster than the Bus.. but at the time that your hubby will be commuting there is little traffic, if any.. so he should be ok.. prob about 35-45 mins on the bus..

restrain from lots of negative posters here, because they are just repeating what everyone else thinks.. many never lived in the area and just go by what they hear.. Elizabeth is a LARGE city.. so you'll have different neighborhoods.. the one you are looking at is a safe family oriented neighborhood.. I do recomend to go and drive by at any time and see for your self.. btw.. a few blocks down Jersey Ave, there is a new construction going up for a 36 Million dollar building.. it's the Union County College building.. and there are other buildings too..

good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey