Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 AM

19 posts, read 41,763 times

Advertisements

As I've been travelling the country many people have made comments about how they think NJ is ghetto, how it's so awful there, etc. etc. After further discussion, most of these people were never in NJ or have only visited a few parts. I even met someone in Europe that hated NJ, but she was originally from Queens. So why the hate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebolton View Post
As I've been travelling the country many people have made comments about how they think NJ is ghetto, how it's so awful there, etc. etc. After further discussion, most of these people were never in NJ or have only visited a few parts. I even met someone in Europe that hated NJ, but she was originally from Queens. So why the hate?
It's a clue that they watch way too much TV.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
If they knew the truth there would be many more of "them furriners" living here, lol.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Hard to explain as NJ is or was the most densely populated state in the union. must be some reason people want to move here.

Ignorance and prejudiced thought limit their expectations and what they are capable of 'seeing'.

Everyone 'hates' NJ and the US but both remain a dream destination for the world's hopeful.

Random negative comments re NJ matter not except for the occassional gold they hold as potential opportunities for improvement.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times
I think a lot of it has to do with the location of the NJ Turnpike. When people pass through NJ, they often go on the Turnpike. Many areas along the Turnpike are indeed Industrial and rundown. However, if one actually explores the state, one can see that the vast majority of the state is not like that. However, not many people come across the country just to explore NJ. We still do live in the shadow of NYC and Philly.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Ignorance and/or jealousy.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
As you said, they don't live in NJ or haven't ever visited. So is their opinion of any value?

The only opinions worth anything are those based on reality. Never living in NJ or even visiting for a vacation makes their opinions as valuable as what they are based on - nothing.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 PM

225 posts, read 352,337 times
Another important aspect of New Jersey's reputation is the fact that, as a whole, New Jersey is terrible at selling itself. Yes, there is a degree of truth to New Jersey's stereotypes just as there is a degree of truth to stereotypes pertaining to every state. Unlike most states however, New Jersey does absolutely nothing to highlight its positive attributes. The result is a terrible public image made up solely of the negatives.

I think people on this forum are pretty knowledgeable about many of New Jersey's positives however, on the whole, people around the country, and even residents of New Jersey, remain blissfully unaware about everything that came out of our little state. So to anybody reading this who may not be familiar with New Jersey here are just several examples of things you may not have known.

New Jersey is the birthplace of college football. The first game was played between Rutgers and Princeton.

The lightbulb and the movie camera (among other things) were invented in New Jersey.

New Jersey consistently ranks among the smartest and wealthiest states in the nation.

We have the tallest roller coaster in the world; Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure.

Cape May was the first seaside resort in the country.

I could go on and on but for the sake of not being here all night I'm just going to stop now.

Last edited by montycench; 07-16-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 03:07 PM

402 posts, read 752,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
Another important aspect of New Jersey's reputation is the fact that, as a whole, New Jersey is terrible at selling itself. Yes, there is a degree of truth to New Jersey's stereotypes just as there is a degree of truth to stereotypes pertaining to every state. Unlike most states however, New Jersey does absolutely nothing to highlight its positive attributes. The result is a terrible public image made up solely of the negatives.

I think people on this forum are pretty knowledgeable about many of New Jersey's positives however, on the whole, people around the country, and even residents of New Jersey, remain blissfully unaware about everything that came out of our little state.
That's why we need more media outlets. We need our own tv networks,news networks etc. We let ny and Philly dictate how we view ourselves. Even connecticut has its own networks.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I agree, people just know what they see on TV and in the movies (and it seems every movie set in NJ is a crime movie on the "mean streets" of NJ). When I spent 6 months in Houston I told a co-worker I lived near the beach and he said "They have BEACHES in NJ??" in obvious shock. I'm sure he pictured a beach lined with smoke stacks in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey