Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 14,950 times

Advertisements

My wife and I found an affordable home in Bergenfield NJ and was shocked to find that it had everything we wanted and the taxes were so low. Is it a safe place to live and raise a family??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:59 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,060 times
Default Go for It

It's in Bergen County and it's safe! Where do you live right now?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,849 times
The kids all have a tough guy attitude. I grew up in that area.

The schools are not considered the best. But the best schools are only in the rich towns.

There are no real gangs, but lots and lots of wannabes

Old 10-01-2007, 07:41 PM

777 posts, read 2,379,985 times
Default Taxes Low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyfiasco View Post
My wife and I found an affordable home in Bergenfield NJ and was shocked to find that it had everything we wanted and the taxes were so low. Is it a safe place to live and raise a family??
Bergenfield just had a reassessment done about a year or 2 ago and the taxes skyrocketed. Taxes in Bergenfield are on the high side. Bergenfield is ok. I looked at a house there back in 2004 before I bought my house in Westwood.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:33 PM

432 posts, read 1,878,962 times
I live in Bergenfield. You found low taxes? Where are you coming from?

That said, I have lived here 20 years. I find that the neighborhoods are generally safe, houses nice, police department is really good and the streets are well kept. There is an uptick in juvvy crime, schools are crowded, but getting better. Somehow getting rid of the superintendant a few years ago has made a difference in allowing good teachers to do better, and so that benefits the students.

I would say it is fine for elementary, but for middle and high school you need to take a careful look to see if it fits your kid. If your child has an interest in music, sports, writing, computers, you likely will do well here. My son was a highly gifted student who just did not fit, so when he got a scholarship to a private school we saw a good opportunity and have no regrets. Bergen county also has a few magnet schools for high school

You will generally find more house for your money in Bergenfield than in most other places in Bergen County. But the taxes are a serious issue. The rate is very high.

If you want to spend money for a swim club, Bergenfield's is very nice and well maintained. It was a good experience for us when the kids were little.

You will also find that there are service organizations, and some kids are involved in scouts, CYO, clubs, Rainbow Girls, DeMolay, etc. The town sports groups are really good too. But yes, there are "wannabes" - kids who hang out on Washington Ave and appear to have nothing to do.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 25,408 times
I am relocating from FL, how is the commute to the city from Bergenfield? I am trying to find a nice, safe town to raise children but with an easy city commute. I have been told Ridgewood and Ft. Lee are a good fit. Any suggestions?

Old 08-26-2008, 02:12 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,949,614 times
Carol - Bergenfield is a town that is in decline. It's not what it was in the past. The schools are not great and I have friends there - there is some gang activity and you could do better. MANY people in town send their kids to private schools in or around Bergenfield. Taxes are also typically HIGH there.

Will you be renting or buying? How old are your children or what grades will they be going into? What is your budget. I know a lot about Bergen County and I can try to help you out.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:42 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Carol - Bergenfield is a town that is in decline. It's not what it was in the past. The schools are not great and I have friends there - there is some gang activity and you could do better. MANY people in town send their kids to private schools in or around Bergenfield. Taxes are also typically HIGH there.

Will you be renting or buying? How old are your children or what grades will they be going into? What is your budget. I know a lot about Bergen County and I can try to help you out.
this is the truth declining!! ANd low taxes, you should check again, no way!! Its going toward Philliipno/ some kind of Asian dont know what cant read the writing and their businesses. No problem with that but the like to deal with themselves. Traffic is getting crappy and its declining. Alot of old businesses are closing, look at the car dealers were there for ever and now gone. Its crappy!!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
rhe

22 posts, read 51,547 times
I've lived in Bergenfield for 29 years. I grew up here and now I raise my family here. I agree about the Filipinos, they have taken over, but all things considered, they're not the worst group to be around. They keep to themselves and they've always been kind to me, good food too. The elementary schools are good, the middle school is getting better though the superintendent now is claiming an overhaul of all administration throughout in 2010. The high school is full of wannabe's but always have been, they're harmless. Otherwise, minus the taxes, we're pretty spoiled here, 15 minutes to the GWB, surrounded by good hospitals, accessible to pretty much any major highway, and malls, malls, malls about 15 minutes away. The houses are older here but the prices have fallen so I'd say this is the place to be.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,751 times
bergenfield is a perfectly safe town. i grew up in a different part of the county but had friends from bergenfield and its surrounding towns (teaneck, tenafly, dumont, new milford, etc), so i was in the area a lot. the "punk" wannabe kids who used to always hang out in front of the 7-eleven on washington ave were the only thing we were somewhat wary of, but to be honest, they were completely harmless. my friends who still live in the area tell me that the level of safety is basically the same now as it was then - a few wannabes, but nothing to be afraid of. it's just that the demographics have changed to a degree, so some people will tell you that the town is getting worse, whereas in reality it's just a little bit different.

as others have mentioned, filipinos have a pretty significant presence (as do latinos from various countries). the schools are ok, although for high school your kids could do better. all in all, it's a modest town that's seen some demographic change over the past 10-15 years, but is still solid nonetheless. it doesn't have the cachet of some of its neighbors like tenafly, but you could do a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey