Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,085,406 times

Advertisements

And if you look at automobile deaths, the numbers are down significantly since seat belt laws took effect in the 1990s. Again, a pain in the ass to libertarians but a simple way to save lives. Even in NJ with our crowded roads and goofball drivers from NY, the auto deaths are down by 1/3 since 1990:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1103.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,669,406 times
Quote:
the numbers are down significantly since seat belt laws took effect in the 1990s
Seatbelts are just one area that caused the drop. Better designed vehicles with crush zones and safer interiors. Even more than seatbelts are the airbags. Costly but they work.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
But that's like saying you personally know nobody who's died of lung cancer.
The reference is baseless. Yes, I do know people who have died of lung cancer. But you are missing the point. With the vast majority of homes up here having firearms on the premises, few every have accidental shooting . Probably the major area that has these issues is our biggest city that is home to many outsiders with little or no experience but the ability to now legally buy a firearm. Even then it involves adults and not children. One 14 year old committed suicide outside the home. That's about it. If you're looking for a zero count, forget it. Nothing is absolute in this world.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,740,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
We make training available at a relatively inexpensive rate. For the cost of two boxes of ammo, new owners, or even experienced ones can take one of our 16 hour classes that unlike many provided by commercial locations involved more time on the range. I have more respect for a totally unknowing firearm's owner that will seek out this training in an attempt to become a responsible owner than the guy with the huge collection and zero experience. Then you have those that claim competence because they are always at the range. Many of those simply bring a hundred rounds, load up the magazines to max capacity and fire at the nice paper target. What they prove is that they have the dexterity in their trigger fire to fire the handgun. If round court is the sole determination of competency, I know a few guys that do testing all day, all week. they should be the best on the planet.

Case in point, the Massachusetts Full Auto incident. The owner of the firearm was foolish. While the father allowed the child to fire the weapon, he I'm guessing was not as familiar. Few every get the chance to experience full auto. It's not like on TV. In this case the Mini-Uzi is one of the more difficult firearm's to control. the owner should have known this and never put it on the line. It should have had only a few rounds at best in the magazine. Firing one years ago, it's a handful for one experienced in the handling. The media value overrode the common sense. All unintentional but still resulting in the death of the child. Yet I blame those who organized and not the firearm. FA or SA a tragic result could have happened.
With all do respect, you didn't directly answer the question and I am assuming you didn't because it leads us down the same path I and others have been advocating for. Your solution is better training. It's a good place to start. However, how do we accomplish that? We accomplish it with regulation that mandates the training and requires anyone who purchases a firearm to complete it and possibly "re-test" at a given interval. Your solution is essentially the same as the others being put out there, greater and more consistent regulation.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,242,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
With all do respect, you didn't directly answer the question and I am assuming you didn't because it leads us down the same path I and others have been advocating for. Your solution is better training. It's a good place to start. However, how do we accomplish that? We accomplish it with regulation that mandates the training and requires anyone who purchases a firearm to complete it and possibly "re-test" at a given interval. Your solution is essentially the same as the others being put out there, greater and more consistent regulation.
It's a fundamental right. Mandating training for firearms ownership or carry is no more reasonable than mandating a debate class for a public speaker.

And that's without getting into the issues of how you keep the regulation from becoming a backdoor method of prohibition. History (and present day practice) is full of cases where required courses were unavailable to the common person.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,882,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's a fundamental right. Mandating training for firearms ownership or carry is no more reasonable than mandating a debate class for a public speaker.

And that's without getting into the issues of how you keep the regulation from becoming a backdoor method of prohibition. History (and present day practice) is full of cases where required courses were unavailable to the common person.
Haven't read this thread since the first page so sorry if I'm missing something, but I thought it was pretty much agreed upon that the "well regulated" term refers to training and discipline. I don't see why this phrase couldn't be used to mandate training.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Haven't read this thread since the first page so sorry if I'm missing something, but I thought it was pretty much agreed upon that the "well regulated" term refers to training and discipline. I don't see why this phrase couldn't be used to mandate training.
Because, no matter what "well regulated" refers to the first part is a preamble; it does not place any limitation on the right.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Quite frankly, that's BS. Why have training to drive a car then? Or mandate training for some professions? Because it instills responsibility. Frankly, the general public doesn't have a clue what the responsibilities of owning a firearm instill. You seriously think that simply purchasing gives one the required information needed to use a firearm within the laws?

After they are forced to (or incorrectly) use a firearm, it's now too late to find you screwed up. Typical cost of a defense lawyer to handle a case like this under the best of circumstances is 35K. Don't expect a time payment. While you think you might have enough to cover the legal costs, the first item the lawyer handling the victim is to freeze every dime you have to your name.

Course not available? Get real. NJ has more than a few. The requirement of training is far from unusual and already in place in many areas of the country at minimal cost.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,085,406 times
Justice Scalia hinted that limits could be placed on types of weapons owned:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said Sunday the Second Amendment leaves open the possibility of gun-control legislation, adding to what has become a slow-boiling debate on the issue since the Colorado movie theater massacre earlier this month...

...Scalia said exceptions to gun rights were recognized when the Second Amendment was written, including a tort that prohibited people from carrying a “really horrible weapon just to scare people like a head ax or something.”

Read more: Scalia opens door for gun-control legislation, extends slow burning debate | Fox News

Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Quite frankly, that's BS. Why have training to drive a car then? Or mandate training for some professions? Because it instills responsibility.
A gun is not a car. And while there is mandated training for some professions, if you tried it for "writer" or "reporter" you'd run smack into the First Amendment.

Quote:
You seriously think that simply purchasing gives one the required information needed to use a firearm within the laws?
The laws in NJ? Of course not, they're too complex to comprehend without a law degree with a specialization in firearms law.

Quote:
Course not available? Get real. NJ has more than a few. The requirement of training is far from unusual and already in place in many areas of the country at minimal cost.
It's a pretty typical gun control trick to require a training course which is only available at very limited times to a limited number of people, in an inconvenient location, for a very high cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey