Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:56 PM

77 posts, read 376,160 times

Advertisements

I will be converting from oil heat to natural gas heat. My 275 gallon in door oil
tank is half full. The oil in the tank must be removed in order to remove the oil tank from my basement. As I called around, I was told that I would have to pay by the gallon to suck the tank dry. Is there a company around that will purchase my unused heating oil? My wife and I will even donate the oil to the poor as charity. Anyone have any helpful ideas? Thank you,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Why not defer the conversion to natural gas for a few months, in order to use up most of that oil?
Instead of converting now, why not defer the process until...maybe...early November?

Last edited by Retriever; 08-10-2012 at 05:27 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Why not defer the conversion to natural gas for a few months, in order to use up most of that oil?
Instead of converting now, why not defer the process until...maybe...early November?
Best to do it out of the heating system, when there is less competition for contractors. The beginning of the heating system is a crazy time, with many furnaces and boilers needing repairs after being restarted after months of inactivity.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:13 PM

77 posts, read 376,160 times
Marc, being a realtor what would you recommend to a client asking you this question? Do you know of any charitable organizations in Essex county that might take the oil for the poor and less fortunate. At least this way I get a tax write off if I donate the oil for a worthwhile cause.
Bill

Old 08-11-2012, 05:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
Sell to a neighbor. You can pump it out into drums.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
Marc, being a realtor what would you recommend to a client asking you this question? Do you know of any charitable organizations in Essex county that might take the oil for the poor and less fortunate. At least this way I get a tax write off if I donate the oil for a worthwhile cause.
Bill
The problem is if it spills, it's such a hassle that nobody wants to be bothered with it. I will be doing the same thing shortly, but I want a licensed professional with an insurance policy to remove the oil and guarantee against any risk of spillage. I will be losing about a 1/3 to 1/2 tank, but good riddance. I cannot wait to be using clean cheap natural gas heat with an efficient new boiler.

Anyway, perhaps this:

How to Donate Home Heating Oil | eHow.com

Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
The people that put it in will probably buy it back but only at $1 a gallon.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
When my parents converted to natural gas they had between 1/3 and 1/2 a tank of heating oil. My parents are close with their neighbors and the neighbor was going through some tough times. My parents wanted to pump the oil from their tank into the neighbors tank and just give them the oil to help them out. The contractor told them that they absolutely couldn't do it over contamination fears. The issue is that when the tanks are sucked dry, they pull up a lot of crap from the bottom of the tanks like sediment, water, rust and even congealed oil. The older the tank, the more crap they suck out. For that reason, any oil siphoned needed to be recycled and couldn't be put in another tank without fear of damaging the other homes heating system.

If you google around, the only thing you will see is companies that will do disposal of the old oil for a fee or recyclers who will pick it up for free. No one is going to pay you for "used" heating oil because it needs to go through a recycling process before it can be re-used.

PS, the link posted by Marc is just a small listing of charities that will accept monetary donations to provide heating oil to low income people, not a way to actually donate the oil.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
When my parents converted to natural gas they had between 1/3 and 1/2 a tank of heating oil. My parents are close with their neighbors and the neighbor was going through some tough times. My parents wanted to pump the oil from their tank into the neighbors tank and just give them the oil to help them out. The contractor told them that they absolutely couldn't do it over contamination fears. The issue is that when the tanks are sucked dry, they pull up a lot of crap from the bottom of the tanks like sediment, water, rust and even congealed oil. The older the tank, the more crap they suck out. For that reason, any oil siphoned needed to be recycled and couldn't be put in another tank without fear of damaging the other homes heating system.

If you google around, the only thing you will see is companies that will do disposal of the old oil for a fee or recyclers who will pick it up for free. No one is going to pay you for "used" heating oil because it needs to go through a recycling process before it can be re-used.

PS, the link posted by Marc is just a small listing of charities that will accept monetary donations to provide heating oil to low income people, not a way to actually donate the oil.
True, my bad, I didn't read completely. In view of what others have posted, I will consider the oil in my tank to be a loss. At this point I don't care. I just want to be rid of oil heat forever.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
Actually, In the past, we have re-used oil from a underground tank. We pumped into drums then ran it through a filter while pumping from drum to another tank. That was over 25 years ago, and things have changed, I guess. It's diesel fuel, and can be used in heavy equiptment like a backhoe, taxes on home heating oil and the deisel fuel are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey