Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,452 times

Advertisements

OK so controversial move on my part i'll admit:

Last night I was driving home from the Stirling hotel after my recreational kickball league. I live in Warren on a very dark street which has zero street lights but the speed limit is 45 MPH. Even after living there for 6 months, I still have trouble looking for my mailbox in the middle of the night.

Last night I drove past my house and realized I was at #16 instead of #22. I pulled into a driveway and did a cautious reverse back onto the road so I can get to my house. Up a street in the distance, I saw a police Dodge Charger looking for speeders. I immediately got back onto the road and went below the speed limit for about 10 seconds (mind you, I'm less than .25 miles away from my house. The cop then GUNS the Charger to catch up with me and I speed up to my driveway, put my turn signal on, park and get out of my car. The cop sits in front of my house for about 30 seconds and watches me get out of my car, then drives off.

Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone not been as lucky and have the cop rush them into their driveway? Had I actually pulled over would I have got a ticket? I think I would have, but since I made it into my driveway I think I was more or less safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,347 times
He probably thought you were trying to avoid him for some reason, and caught up to you to run your plate and see what was going on with you.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
He probably thought you were trying to avoid him for some reason, and caught up to you to run your plate and see what was going on with you.
My plates are expired from another state But I don't think he had the reaction time to do that. It all happened so quickly.

Yeah, been meaning to fix that one.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:35 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
OK so controversial move on my part i'll admit:

Last night I was driving home from the Stirling hotel after my recreational kickball league. I live in Warren on a very dark street which has zero street lights but the speed limit is 45 MPH. Even after living there for 6 months, I still have trouble looking for my mailbox in the middle of the night.

Last night I drove past my house and realized I was at #16 instead of #22. I pulled into a driveway and did a cautious reverse back onto the road so I can get to my house. Up a street in the distance, I saw a police Dodge Charger looking for speeders. I immediately got back onto the road and went below the speed limit for about 10 seconds (mind you, I'm less than .25 miles away from my house. The cop then GUNS the Charger to catch up with me and I speed up to my driveway, put my turn signal on, park and get out of my car. The cop sits in front of my house for about 30 seconds and watches me get out of my car, then drives off.

Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone not been as lucky and have the cop rush them into their driveway? Had I actually pulled over would I have got a ticket? I think I would have, but since I made it into my driveway I think I was more or less safe.
He probably wondered what the late night u-turn on a dark residential street was about, and went to check out the situation. When he saw that it was simply a resident going home, he moved on. Stop being paranoid.

For what do you think you could have gotten a ticket? And how would pulling into a driveway prevent that?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
He probably wondered what the late night u-turn on a dark residential street was about, and went to check out the situation. When he saw that it was simply a resident going home, he moved on. Stop being paranoid.

For what do you think you could have gotten a ticket? And how would pulling into a driveway prevent that?
Well if you read my above reply, expired plates.

Warren Cops are vicious. They give tickets out like candy.

And I'm not paranoid, I was asking a question. It was a little much to follow me.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
If your plates are expired, you are asking to have your car towed away, towing charges and daily storage charges until you re-register the car, go back to the cop station, get a release form and pay a few hundred bucks or more depending on how long it takes you to re-register, to get your car back.

If the car is not insured you lose your license for a year,mandatory in NJ, then your insurance costs will be quite a lot higher, when you are finally allowed to drive again.

Consider yourself lucky, but I wouldn't be taking chances like that, nor would most people. It's a LOT cheaper being legal. These days many PD's have automatic license plate readers so if you pass a car with one of these, you just lost.

It's a high risk game you are taking for not much reason at all. If you get caught you will be walking a long time and it will cost a lot of $$.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Well if you read my above reply, expired plates.

Quote:
My plates are expired from another state But I don't think he had the reaction time to do that. It all happened so quickly.

Yeah, been meaning to fix that one.
from the 2nd quote, it doesnt seem like you thought it was expired plates.

i think others are right, he thought the u-turn was suspicious so he went to check it out.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:28 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Perhaps if he gave you a ticket or towed your car for expired plates it would have made you feel better.
I lived and worked in your area for more than 20 years and never thought the police were aggressive.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post

yeah - i'm with Bill on this one. sounds like he was just checking some potential suspicious activity...then realized you were just looking for your driveway.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,631 times
Statute of limitations is 30 days. They can simply mail one is they wanted. Or now knowing the vehicle is unregistered simply wait until they see you again. If uninsured, that will add a mandatory suspension. As the area seems to be a frequent area of enforcement, you probably just starting the clock ticking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey