Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,601 times

Advertisements

Well, I started the search for my first home a few months ago and now I'm more confused then ever. I've looked in a bunch of areas but don't know which would be the best. I'm a single 29 year old currently working in Hamilton NJ, and currently living in Freehold.

Ideally here's what I'm looking for:

2-3 bed room townhouse
max 30 min commute to work(give or take a few min)
a development with young professionals or a few places to go out at night close by
max price around 260 depending on association fees and taxes
Garage for my car
upgraded kitchen

It seems like Plainboro/Princeton is a bit out of my price range for what I'm looking for. My realtor has shown me places in Bordentown and Burlington, but I hear it's not the best area for young professionals. I hear Hightstown is a decent town, but I'm not sure. I am also looking in Freehold/Manalapan/Englishtown/Lawrenceville/Newtown PA. As you can see I am getting myself more and more confused.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,449 times
If you work in Hamilton, go buy a condo in Washington Towne Center in Robbinsville. Thats where I'd want to be if I was single and 29.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Here's a link to townhouses and condos in Hamilton: Hamilton NJ Homes: Townhouses – Hamilton, NJ

(Grandville Arms condos may have been converted apartments; so those may not be your best option.)

Sharon Mews is another area you should check out. These townhouses have fenced-in yards and garages. Link: Robbinsville NJ Homes: Sharon Mews

Wherever you look, consider if you want a pool or not. That may add to your monthly fee.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,601 times
Thanks for the responses!

I pass by Washington center on my commute. It looks like a very nice place, however it seems like the condos are the only thing in my price range and they have high association dues/taxes.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,449 times
Nice but way overpriced

Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr83 View Post
Well, I started the search for my first home a few months ago and now I'm more confused then ever. I've looked in a bunch of areas but don't know which would be the best. I'm a single 29 year old currently working in Hamilton NJ, and currently living in Freehold.

2-3 bed room townhouse
a development with young professionals or a few places to go out at night close by
Garage for my car
upgraded kitchen

It seems like Plainboro/Princeton is a bit out of my price range for what I'm looking for. My realtor has shown me places in Bordentown and Burlington, but I hear it's not the best area for young professionals. I hear Hightstown is a decent town, but I'm not sure. I am also looking in Freehold/Manalapan/Englishtown/Lawrenceville/Newtown PA. As you can see I am getting myself more and more confused.

I recently started my own search and the best piece of advice anyone gave me was to take work/commute out of the equation. Choose where you want to live and focus there. What happens if you change jobs and are in an area that you chose based mainly on commute? Good luck!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,826 times
Hey..Check out Lawrence Square Village in Lawrenceville. They are old. But definitely you will find a good house in 200-225K range and spend that extra money on upgrades. They don't have garages but it's only 20 mins to Princeton down town.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,595 times
I can understand the problem. Another angle would be not to look to yourself but to others. For example, ask your agent to find not a place for you but a place that would sell to the greater per cent of people looking for a house in that area. Take that list and see if you can find what would satisfy specific concerns you may have. If you purchase a saleable property, you are likely to be OK.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:35 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,622,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr83 View Post

2-3 bed room townhouse
Garage for my car
upgraded kitchen

What about taxes? Look into these carefully.........

Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 PM

359 posts, read 1,100,219 times
why not a small house,i would never buy a townhouse, no dues just pay for what you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey