Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 10,437 times

Advertisements

Hello members. I will be coming from Rochester, NY. I want to move to start life over. I am single, divorced, and no children. 29 on the 4th of Oct. I work as a caregiver, but that isn't paying much not my passion--just paying the bills.

I am, at heart, a musician, writer, and photographer. I do not have a degree in any of these and looking to possibly pursue school where I will live. This moving challenge is for me to go forward in life. No more stalling. If I start school here, I'll be here another forever amount of years. This move is exceedingly overdue.

I will be looking to rent, and I will of course find a job prior to moving, but need to know which areas to look. With my skills and experience, I do not anticipate on landing a job anything out of the customer service, administrative, recruiting, sales, positions. So basically around that pay range--whatever that is there. Here it ain't much, but enough to live by.

Three things that are important to me is safety, reasonable cost of living (whatever is considered NJ reasonable), and a diverse city life, as I am no country gal. I like nightlife, but no ghettos.

***Please Read***

I just want the answers to my questions, no rhetorical questions or lectures. Nice honest answers. I'm not looking to be discouraged...I'm looking to move forward, no matter the challenge.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Sure, ask a question and try to dictate the terms of the answer. See how far that gets you.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,964,174 times
You want a reasonably priced, bohemian/artsy neighborhood with no grit? Join the club.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,756 times
What about Ocean County? With the amount of elderly developments there, I would think care givers would be in demand. You can attend Ocean County College, too. There is some night life, but nothing like the city. The cost of living is lower in this area, so that can be a tradeoff.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:12 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Unless the OP identifies her budget for rent, I don't think that the responses will have much value.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VedrenYuar View Post
Hello members. I will be coming from Rochester, NY. I want to move to start life over. I am single, divorced, and no children. 29 on the 4th of Oct. I work as a caregiver, but that isn't paying much not my passion--just paying the bills.

I am, at heart, a musician, writer, and photographer. I do not have a degree in any of these and looking to possibly pursue school where I will live. This moving challenge is for me to go forward in life. No more stalling. If I start school here, I'll be here another forever amount of years. This move is exceedingly overdue.

I will be looking to rent, and I will of course find a job prior to moving, but need to know which areas to look. With my skills and experience, I do not anticipate on landing a job anything out of the customer service, administrative, recruiting, sales, positions. So basically around that pay range--whatever that is there. Here it ain't much, but enough to live by.

Three things that are important to me is safety, reasonable cost of living (whatever is considered NJ reasonable), and a diverse city life, as I am no country gal. I like nightlife, but no ghettos.

***Please Read***

I just want the answers to my questions, no rhetorical questions or lectures. Nice honest answers. I'm not looking to be discouraged...I'm looking to move forward, no matter the challenge.

Thanks!
Williamsburg, Brooklyn (not NJ, but what you described) and Jersey City. Nothing in NJ near the city will be "reasonably priced". Our taxes, rent, food, etc. is super expensive. Good luck with that.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 10,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Sure, ask a question and try to dictate the terms of the answer. See how far that gets you.
You would be the first to post. They say negative people are the first to respond. Attention seekers.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
You need an area with a large amount of elderly people. Try Burlington County and Cherry Hill.
Or south Jersey in general. True,there isn't much nightlife,but you can always head into Philladelphia.

Before you move btw,I would suggest you get a Cna. Certificate or HHA certificate.
They make 10 to 15 dollars per hour,and there is a huge demand for them right now.
Don't believe me? Chech out Craigslist under any area in Nj,go under Medical/employment and you will see a plethora of postings for HHa and Cna.

Do you have a car?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:59 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
You're coming to the wrong state if you're looking for a job. Our unemployment rate under our gluttonous governor is defying national trends and rising, not going down.

And as you probably already know, NJ for the most part is as expensive as hell to live in, much moreso than Rochester. I would consider a roommate if you're moving to most parts of NJ.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:03 PM

31 posts, read 39,521 times
Forget about Jersey, move to the South!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey