Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 31,561 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on Manalapan? Small children, need good schools and quite area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM

52 posts, read 133,672 times
I live in Manalapan and have since 2002. I have been in NJ since 1972 and have seen the area change quite a bit. Manalapan overall is a nice area to raise a family. The schools are pretty good, but I've heard bad things about the high school. My children are still in elementary, so I have no personal experience. I'm well aware that drugs are all over, but our high school is known for having higher drug usage. Crime is also escalating here. We always had a few robberies, but now I'm hearing about several in the past two months. This may be happening all over, not sure. The area is very convenient but we pay a price for it. Rt. 9 is jammed on weekends.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,138 times
Wow, I never thought of Manalapan in terms of drugs and crime. I am surprised.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewebs View Post
Wow, I never thought of Manalapan in terms of drugs and crime. I am surprised.
One of my friends son went to CBA about 20 years ago and a number of the kids there were doing drugs.

Money just allows you to buy more and better drugs. Crime and drugs is in every corner of NJ and don't let anyone kid you that it's not.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:42 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,899 times
I taught at Lafayette Mills School in Manalapan for one year (2006-7) and I can tell you I would choose a different area, based on my experiences there and the experiences of a few former residents I know personally who used to live there but have since left. At first glance it may not appear to be very different from any other quiet, peaceful bedroom community. Don't be fooled. The schools, while they may appear fine on paper, have had several issues in the year I was there and the student culture is "unsavory" to say the least - may of them have two working parents who are not at home to discipline their children and in turn just hand them over anything they wish and thus end up as spoiled brats whose behavior is usually worse than chidren in some inner-city districts. And the parents were even worse when meeting with them - many of them your typical greasy-looking, cigarette-smoking "guidettes" in shabby pink sweatsuits with deep "exaggerated" Brooklyn/Staten Island accents, "ice" in their voices and inability to maintain any standard conversation, let alone eye-contact. People in this town generally come across as snotty, but they lack ordinary social skills. Probably doped up on something illegal, which you will never know about.

There is a growing crime problem there as the above person said, usually involving these "wild" adolescents who again appear to be from 1/2-decent families, but due to the absence of parenting, have become deviants who are out all hours of the night in groups either making trouble at local shopping centers or finding ways to buy hard drugs. The town is fairly well-known for its drug epidemic and has been in the news for it on multiple occasions. Litter, garbage - mostly used condoms and water bottles filled with urine - strewn all over the roads. Commute is very frustrating due to lack of mass transit and you are a slave to Route 9 which is a parking lot, as are all the roads that lead to it. And it will only get worse. Cost of living is outrageously high - even by NJ standards - with overly-inflated prices of homes and just about everything else.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:55 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
One of my friends son went to CBA about 20 years ago and a number of the kids there were doing drugs.

Money just allows you to buy more and better drugs. Crime and drugs are in every corner of NJ and don't let anyone kid you that it's not.

Good point. I remember a few years ago Ridgewood was on two "top ten" lists--one for the percentage of its HS grads that go to college, and one for the rate of drug use in the high school. Kids with money can afford drugs, and any dealer with half a brain knows that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey