Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM

286 posts, read 417,818 times

Advertisements

I am sorry to hear about your friend That is truly unfortunate.

You are right about us Jerseyans appreciating the four seasons! I cannot even imagine your friend in Florida having to endure 100 degree weather by the time May and June come around!

I think we have it great here. There is so much diversity and culture; unfortunately, because of shows like Jersey Shore, we face quite a horrible reputation. I wish there would be a reality show that focuses on the great things about New Jersey!

My friend who lives down South loves to tease me about that, hehe.

I am sorry about your Phillies! There is always next year They are quite a respectable team!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:56 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Thanks! Right now all I have to root for is my Eagles, and you know that's never pretty.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thanks! Right now all I have to root for is my Eagles, and you know that's never pretty.
Good luck!!!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
I have a family member residing in another state who always guilts me about my decision to stay in New Jersey. Every time said person and I speak, she never fails to mention how much she thinks New Jersey is horrible and implies that I am stupid for staying here.

She may hate our state...but I love it. I have had several opportunities to leave in the past, and while I almost have, there is always something that has held me back. I do not regret it at all, but yet aforementioned family member tries to make me regret it.

The thing I find hysterical is she always comes to visit with another family member...only to complain how "horrible" our state is! It is quite unnerving.

New Jersey is my home. I was born and raised here, and I want to raise my own family here. Not to mention this part of the country is ideal to my dream career and in which I am spending so much money to study in college.

I have since stopped talking to this family member. Why should I feel guilty for staying somewhere where I am happy?

She acts like I am not aware of how expensive it is to live here. Does that stop me from continuing to love life and be happy? Not at all.

I get so depressed when people bash my beloved state.

Sorry, everyone. I just needed to rant. I'm done now.
I don't think you need to give your relative an explanation of why you want to stay in NJ. After all, most people end up staying in whatever state they were raised in. If you're happy, that's good enough reason not to look for greener pastures.

As someone who left NJ forever in my 30s I get the opposite reaction from my relatives who still live there. Last time my kids and I went back to visit my sister actually introduced my daughter to one of her friends by saying, "This is my poor niece who has to drive an hour to get to a decent mall b/c her mother wants to live in the sticks." Ever since I left N.J. she has taken it as some sort of personal rejection and seeks every opportunity to convince me I made the wrong decision.

Some people just don't understand that different people are happier living in different parts of our diverse country. You might be as miserable living in whatever state your relative lives in as they would be living in N.J.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I don't think you need to give your relative an explanation of why you want to stay in NJ. After all, most people end up staying in whatever state they were raised in. If you're happy, that's good enough reason not to look for greener pastures.

As someone who left NJ forever in my 30s I get the opposite reaction from my relatives who still live there. Last time my kids and I went back to visit my sister actually introduced my daughter to one of her friends by saying, "This is my poor niece who has to drive an hour to get to a decent mall b/c her mother wants to live in the sticks." Ever since I left N.J. she has taken it as some sort of personal rejection and seeks every opportunity to convince me I made the wrong decision.

Some people just don't understand that different people are happier living in different parts of our diverse country. You might be as miserable living in whatever state your relative lives in as they would be living in N.J.
I am sorry she makes you feel that way! It sounds to me like you made the right decision for yourself and your family.

I hope wherever you are living makes you happy! It obviously does, since you have not returned

I think everyone deserves to be happy and nobody has the right to judge others on the decisions they make regarding their happiness.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
I've lived in 4 states and love NJ best. We have our share of problems just as anywhere does, but it's what you feel you can best live with.

For me the pros outweigh the cons simply with the the opportunity there is in NJ.

Don't listen to them and do what's best for you.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,735 times
New Jersey is expensive because its a desirable place to live for many people.

I lived in South Florida for 5 years and its no paradise. Its 75 in January, but in May through November its 93 degrees and 100% humidity. Call her during a hurricane and ask how the weather is there.

Places that are cheap, are cheap for a reason, there isn't much demand to live there!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:57 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post

I lived in South Florida for 5 years and its no paradise. Its 75 in January, but in May through November its 93 degrees and 100% humidity. Call her during a hurricane and ask how the weather is there.
Ha ha, that would be mean, but it's a tempting idea!

You also apparently become a wimp after living there for a few years. When she came to visit in July, she had coats on the kids on the boardwalk at night, and they were still complaining that it was cold!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
The bottom line is that the OP's relative is an insecure, unhappy person who most likely can only feel worthy if she criticizes other people and other people's lives--including the OP's place of residence. In other words, the OP should feel sorry for this negative individual who has to spew venom about others in order to try to feel better about herself.

I suggest that the OP just learn to ignore this relative, or to learn to live with the psychodrama that this sad person is spinning for everyone to see and hear.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post

Places that are cheap, are cheap for a reason, there isn't much demand to live there!
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey