Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 10:55 PM

196 posts, read 648,992 times

Advertisements

Got my power back a few days ago but have been having several problems which are making me worried

-took a while for lights to go on
-lights are flickering every 15 mins or so
-furnace is emitting fumes, so i shut it off and not using it
-microwave is not working, then works again

who should I call regarding these problems? an electrician?

(sorry I am not a do it yourself at home person or do not know much about electricity)

would I be able to file a claim with homeowners insurance to cover the costs? when should I go about doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
Got my power back a few days ago but have been having several problems which are making me worried

-took a while for lights to go on
-lights are flickering every 15 mins or so
-furnace is emitting fumes, so i shut it off and not using it
-microwave is not working, then works again

who should I call regarding these problems? an electrician?

(sorry I am not a do it yourself at home person or do not know much about electricity)

would I be able to file a claim with homeowners insurance to cover the costs? when should I go about doing that?
Wait...the grid is up but fluctuating. Probably nothing you can do but wait until it stabilizes.

Check with your neighbors. If they have the same problem it ain't your house.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Agreed with lvoc. I would also try to keep your electronics unplugged, particularly if they aren't on a surge protector, those kinds of fluctuations are very bad for them.

If you are the only one with the problem, call an electrician. If other people are having the same problem, call PSEG/JCP&L, but don't expect it fixed too quickly.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 AM

196 posts, read 648,992 times
what about the fumes from the furnace though, could that be related as well?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
They could be. The power company will send someone out for free to check the furnace, they are not the same peopel who repair the lines, so you should be able to get someone out quickly. If it is a problem within your home, you will need an electrician and it may or may not be covered by your homeowners, it depends on your policy. Call your agent.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
If the damage was caused by flooding and you don't have flood insurance, which is seperate from your homeowners insurance, you won't be covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey