Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM

207 posts, read 513,999 times

Advertisements

So I work in Jersey City and usually get there from Linden using the train to Newark, and then the PATH to JSQ.

Today, I had to take the bus from Newark and yeah...not fun at all.

I as wondering if it would be less of a hassle/more convenient to take the train to NYC, walk to 33rd and take the PATH back to JSQ? The only PATH train running as of tomorrow will be JSQ to 33rd and backwards.

Or should I just stomach it and take the bus from Newark to JSQ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Personally, I think it's going to be crowded everywhere and taking the shortest route is best.

I've been working from home this past week to avoid the commute. Tomorrow I'll be making the trip from Princeton Junction to Newark via the Northeast Corridor train. What I read is that it's near impossible to get on the train due to the number of people stuffed in there. To make it worse, it's near impossible to get off at your stop since people are blocking the isles and doors.

I have a meeting at 11:00AM. I'm hoping that if I aim to be at work by 9:00AM, that should account for any delays/issues. Maybe I'm optimistic.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:40 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
There is limited service this morning from Journal Square via Grove Street and Newport, 14th Street, 23 Street to 33rd Street on the PATH train service.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Mad View Post
So I work in Jersey City and usually get there from Linden using the train to Newark, and then the PATH to JSQ.

Today, I had to take the bus from Newark and yeah...not fun at all.

I as wondering if it would be less of a hassle/more convenient to take the train to NYC, walk to 33rd and take the PATH back to JSQ? The only PATH train running as of tomorrow will be JSQ to 33rd and backwards.

Or should I just stomach it and take the bus from Newark to JSQ?
I'm driving to Jersey City. No train service on the NJCL and won't be for a long time, I suspect. I can't keep this up forever, though, with gas and tolls and the cheapest parking $10 a day. I'm going to look at Academy.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Personally, I think it's going to be crowded everywhere and taking the shortest route is best.

I've been working from home this past week to avoid the commute. Tomorrow I'll be making the trip from Princeton Junction to Newark via the Northeast Corridor train. What I read is that it's near impossible to get on the train due to the number of people stuffed in there. To make it worse, it's near impossible to get off at your stop since people are blocking the isles and doors.

I have a meeting at 11:00AM. I'm hoping that if I aim to be at work by 9:00AM, that should account for any delays/issues. Maybe I'm optimistic.
Good luck with the NEC. I have several people in my office who take that normally. They tried yesterday and now they are carpooling. They opened the NJCL from Woodbridge to Newark and NY, and it got so crowded they cancelled all trains. THEN the rocket scientists told everybody to go to Metropark and catch the NEC trains...which were already overcrowded and didn't need a few thousand more people from the NJCL trying to get on.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,164,271 times
My normal bus route was jam packed last night. The line was 5x longer than the longest I had ever seen, and people were getting angry and everything. I heard Penn station were herding people to Port Authority and that's the reason why PA was overcrowded? I hope to leave early today and avoid some of the crowd so I can vote.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 AM

116 posts, read 238,969 times
My normal morning commute is 1.5 hours. It took me 3.5 hours Monday. I am working from home today and tomorrow and hoping the PATH to WTC is open towards the end of the week. That will help a lot because the amount of human traffic at NY Penn Station is insane. The NEC trains are nuts. If you get on after New Brunswick it is because you are a midget who walks under peoples legs. No thanks I'll work from home for a few days until it improves.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times
There is a free ferry service from Liberty State Park to Manhattan.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM

244 posts, read 598,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
My normal bus route was jam packed last night. The line was 5x longer than the longest I had ever seen, and people were getting angry and everything. I heard Penn station were herding people to Port Authority and that's the reason why PA was overcrowded? I hope to leave early today and avoid some of the crowd so I can vote.
Not sure where you commute from, but taking buses to Wall Street is a good option. My commute is actually shorter and the bus drops me off at Franklin st. right by the 1 train (not even all the way downtown). Port Authority is too much of a nightmare.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,164,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post
Not sure where you commute from, but taking buses to Wall Street is a good option. My commute is actually shorter and the bus drops me off at Franklin st. right by the 1 train (not even all the way downtown). Port Authority is too much of a nightmare.
I work near Grand Central so PA is a good location. Normally my commute isn't too bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey