Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,668 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 20's and done with college... I moved to montclair about a year ago...but I'm having trouble meeting people here. Even though there's a university here, I don't really see people my age on a daily basis... Just middle aged people and their younger kids...Did I make a mistake coming here? If not, what are some good places I can meet people my age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,879 times
Go to Hoboken. I think the Montclair nightlife nightlife may be a tad too old for u.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
I'm in my early 20's and done with college... I moved to montclair about a year ago...but I'm having trouble meeting people here. Even though there's a university here, I don't really see people my age on a daily basis... Just middle aged people and their younger kids...Did I make a mistake coming here? If not, what are some good places I can meet people my age?

You can also try going to some of the concerts at the Wellmont The Wellmont Theatre - Live Music in Montclair, N.J. quite a few of the acts attract a younger audience. How about getting involved with some of the volunteer activities in town?

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 PM

198 posts, read 468,614 times
The two state universities in upper-middle class suburbs (Willy P and Montclair) generally price out off-campus apartments as a cheaper/more flexible alternative to campus housing, severely limiting the size of people living close to campus. Most people commute from nearby towns for class, or even farther, then go home at night. Montclair definitely has more going on than Wayne, but it's still mostly people raising kids.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
The two state universities in upper-middle class suburbs (Willy P and Montclair) generally price out off-campus apartments as a cheaper/more flexible alternative to campus housing, severely limiting the size of people living close to campus. Most people commute from nearby towns for class, or even farther, then go home at night. Montclair definitely has more going on than Wayne, but it's still mostly people raising kids.
That's what I'm starting to realize....Coming here was a bad idea. Thanks all.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
You will probably find that as you progress into adult life, friends become fewer.... and busier. It's not like school days, with the great times of just hanging out. I don't think it's Montclair. And I don't think it would be much easier in Hoboken. Or Manhattan for that matter. The best way to make friends is do what you love. Job wise, hobby wise, recreation wise. If you are doing stuff instead of sitting around the apartment waiting for the next party or concert (not saying this is you), friends will accumulate organically. There is an old saying: if you want to have a friend, be a friend...

Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You will probably find that as you progress into adult life, friends become fewer.... and busier. It's not like school days, with the great times of just hanging out. I don't think it's Montclair. And I don't think it would be much easier in Hoboken. Or Manhattan for that matter. The best way to make friends is do what you love. Job wise, hobby wise, recreation wise. If you are doing stuff instead of sitting around the apartment waiting for the next party or concert (not saying this is you), friends will accumulate organically. There is an old saying: if you want to have a friend, be a friend...
Thanks, that makes sense.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 AM

225 posts, read 720,975 times

Try finding an activity/group in town.
Take some classes at the Montclair Adult School (you can still sign up for many), join a local Meetup group, volunteer at a local organization

Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 AM

58 posts, read 153,498 times
go hangout at tierneys on a friday night - plenty of people in their 20s there

Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
Morristown, Hoboken...etc. Not a lot of happening stuff in Montclair...but great restaurants and nice downtown. it's very family, from what i've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey