Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 AM

10 posts, read 26,605 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am moving out to NJ from CA to work in midtown in about a month, about a 7 min walk from Penn Station and am a little overwhelmed with identifying areas to look at for apartment rentals, so I would really appreciate any advice!

The skinny:

Rent amount: 1700 for a 1BR
Location: on a train line that goes straight to Penn Station without a transfer, approx up to 45mins to Penn Station
Area: schools are not important, nightlife not really important. Really so long as its safe and somewhat quiet that'll do us

We will have a car, so walking proximity to grocery store etc also isn't really that important. My girlfriend has family in eastern PA so ease to get that direction would be a plus.

I've got the following in mind, are these worth looking further into or am I missing some? Montclair, Springfield, Glen Ridge, Millburn, Rahway.

I really appreciate any thoughts or advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malj10 View Post
Hello everyone, I am moving out to NJ from CA to work in midtown in about a month, about a 7 min walk from Penn Station and am a little overwhelmed with identifying areas to look at for apartment rentals, so I would really appreciate any advice!

The skinny:

Rent amount: 1700 for a 1BR
Location: on a train line that goes straight to Penn Station without a transfer, approx up to 45mins to Penn Station
Area: schools are not important, nightlife not really important. Really so long as its safe and somewhat quiet that'll do us

We will have a car, so walking proximity to grocery store etc also isn't really that important. My girlfriend has family in eastern PA so ease to get that direction would be a plus.

I've got the following in mind, are these worth looking further into or am I missing some? Montclair, Springfield, Glen Ridge, Millburn, Rahway.

I really appreciate any thoughts or advice

Firstly congratulations on the new job/position.

Regarding Montclair, it is a wonderful lively town with a lot to offer. For the most part it is safe, but I'd avoid the area around Lackawanna Plaza, Glenfield Park and the Pathmark which is a bit sketchy and has drug trafficking issues. Normally it take right about 45 minutes on the train from the Montclair State U station to reach NYC Penn Station, but right now it is taking a little longer and runs a little less frequently due to line damage caused by Hurricane Sandy. (there are five train stations in Montclair, so the actual time for your commute will vary slightly depending on which station your depart from.) One thing to note is that being in Essex County, your insurance rates will be high, (high for NJ where we enjoy the highest rates in the nation) so be prepared for that. Montclair is a fairly large urban town which also has a large Univ, which brings many pluses and minuses.

Glen Ridge is located adjacent to Montclair and is a wonderful upscale community. It is generally considered safe, but there is a fair amount of home and car break ins. Glen Ridge is mostly single family homes, so firnnding a one bedroom apartment is tough. Your train ride to NYC Penn will be about 5/9 minutes less than Montclair, depending on which station in Montclair you use.

Millburn is a wonderful, upscale, small town. Quite safe, pretty quiet, no sketchy areas at all. There is a wonderful small town community feel/vibe. There is midtown direct train access to Penn station and it will normally be right around 45 min, though as will all of NJTransit, things currently are running a little slower due to storm damage. This should improve fairly quickly as repairs are made. Millburn will give you easy/quicker access to eastern PA than Montclair/Glen Ridge.

Springfield is a wonderful, more "blue collar" ish town than Millburn or Glen Ridge. While there is no train station, they do have a shuttle that runs from downtown to the Millburn train station for a small fee. So you'd be adding ~15 min each way to your commute.

Rahway is a bit closer to Manhattan, but still about a 40 min train ride to NYC Penn. While it has been trying to revitalize it's downtown, it has had setbacks - most notably the major flooding from Irene. Flooding continues to be an issue in parts of the town. Another is that Rahway has the large state prison not to mention next door is the state lock up for sex offenders in Avenel. Safety can be an issue as well in many parts of town. I know they have built some wonderful new upscale housing and are trying to improve the area, and there are wonderful stately old homes in the Milton Lake section, I just would be leery.

I'd add West Caldwell and Caldwell to your short list, both are wonderful communities with lots to offer and fit within your commute parameters. Perhaps West Orange as well.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 26,605 times
Thank you Koala! I really appreciate your insights. It sounds as if those suburbs are OK to explore further, and I will certainly add Caldwell to the list.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 PM

7 posts, read 8,930 times
I would add Summit to your list. Very nice walkable downtown with midtown direct train to Penn Station.
If you check NJ transit Morris-Essex line, you will see millburn/short hills are sometimes skipped but summit is always the big stop.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Add Hackensack..... Great town only miles to G W Bridge. Stay in Bergen County

Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Stay in Bergen County
Not if he considers a one-stop train ride non-negotiable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both of the train lines through the county transfer at Secaucus. Speaking of, Secaucus wouldn't be a bad place at your budget if you just want a place to sleep that's very well situated from a transit perspective, assuming being in the meadowlands area doesn't bother you aesthetically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey