Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 40,288 times

Advertisements

hey all on the forum, am new to this forum. I have a question would you consider clifton dangerous or ghetto? I have family who lives on the east side of town of passiac and they are telling me to move here because am looking to upgrade from my apartment in ny. THe area looks shakey when i have visited it, i mean not compared to ny but is it a place to raise my kids? i noticed lots of the stores are in spanish? is it a spanish filled area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
are you talking about Passaic city or Clifton?

I wouldnt move to Passaic.

Clifton is a very big town. It has close to 100,000 residents. Their are some very nice sections, and a few sections that are not so great. But i wouldnt say anywhere in the city is "dangerous".

There are definitely more minorities, particularly Hispanic in Clifton, especially in certain areas of town, but its probably still 70% white on the whole.

Cant speak for the schools. I have no kids

Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 40,288 times
Thank you for the input. i meant east side of clifton by botany village. I enjoy the city like feel but you say its safe which is a plus. thank you

Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 PM

13 posts, read 111,717 times
Lightbulb Are you kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseRam718 View Post
hey all on the forum, am new to this forum. I have a question would you consider clifton dangerous or ghetto? I have family who lives on the east side of town of passiac and they are telling me to move here because am looking to upgrade from my apartment in ny. THe area looks shakey when i have visited it, i mean not compared to ny but is it a place to raise my kids? i noticed lots of the stores are in spanish? is it a spanish filled area?

Clifton is a good town. It has a big variety of people. A lot of people are Hispanic. I am 18 and did most of my schooling in Clifton. I lived in Paterson for a few years when i was very little. Although Clifton can be a nice quiet town it has crime and drugs like all other places. 70% of Clifton is not white. There are a lot of Polish and Turks etc but that does not make them all white. I feel like you have a problem against Hispanic people by the way. Oh and Clifton schools are also very racist. Maybe its because I'm Hispanic but that is how i felt growing up. All the white girls with no ass could wear and do whatever they pleased but all the other kids could not. I'm thinking maybe you would fit right in. That is how most of the non-white children were treated. If u have such a problem with 30% of Clifton being Hispanic and having Spanish stores all over town then this is the not the town for you. More and more people move to Clifton everyday. Peruvians, Colombians, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans! Clifton is not a ghetto but can be dangerous like than any other place. Be prepared to have Spanish kids befriend yours. We are better off than your family from Passaic. And do realize that Clifton is between 2 "not so good" towns which would be Paterson and Passaic so that tells you a lot. Please don't call my town shaky. I love it very much. And don't move here if you don't like Spanish people. God why would you call it Spanish filled? WTF is NY?!?!?! Brooklyn, Bronkx! You forget that no one in this country i white anymore! EVERYONE CAME FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE! The first people were from Europe, then the slaves came from Africa and the Chinese helped build the railroads because they were enslaves as well! ETC ETC ETC! We all came from somewhere. Don't act like you live in a secluded place under a rock in NY! Where there are not Spanish people! And a Spanish town is not bad. There are bad people from all over the place your kids could grow up next to! Think outside of your 1 inch box!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM

BTW i don't mean to offend residents from Paterson or Passaic. I'm just stating facts and i know that Clifton is not perfect and that most of its resident do come from Paterson AND Passaic.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,072,158 times
Clifton isn't too bad. The closer you get to Passaic the worse it gets. Lots of good Polish food too.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Cool By the way..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
are you talking about Passaic city or Clifton?

I wouldnt move to Passaic.

Clifton is a very big town. It has close to 100,000 residents. Their are some very nice sections, and a few sections that are not so great. But i wouldnt say anywhere in the city is "dangerous".

There are definitely more minorities, particularly Hispanic in Clifton, especially in certain areas of town, but its probably still 70% white on the whole.

Cant speak for the schools. I have no kids

Minorities are people whose members are treated unequally by a domninant group, usually through prejudice and discrimmination. Ethnic groups on the other hand are collectivities sharing cultural norms, language, values, identities and behaviors who both recognize themselves and are recognized by others as being ethnic. GET UP ON YOUR FACTS!

The nation is becoming even more diverse: More than one third of its population belongs to an Ethnic group, and Hispanics are the fastest-growing segment. The nation’s Hispanic population increased 1.4 million to reach 45.5 million on July 1, 2007, or 15.1 percent of the estimated total U.S. population of 301.6 million.

JOSERAM718 MAYBE YOU SHOULD MOVE TO THESE PLACES!!!

• California, New York and Texas had the largest population of the White group (15.6 million, 11.6 million and 11.4 million, respectively), but Texas experienced the largest numerical increase (95,000), followed by North Carolina (92,000) and Georgia (57,000). Maine (96 percent) had the highest proportion of whites, followed by Vermont (95 percent) and West Virginia (94 percent).

Old 08-18-2009, 05:59 AM

162 posts, read 546,105 times
We recently moved out of Clifton, we lived there for 4 years but we didn't know much about NJ before moving from NYC. But we moved out because of the schools. So I do not think it's a safe bet to put your kids through Clifton Schools. Well at least some middle schools and def the HS. I used to live across the street from the HS and after seeing kids smoking, fighting (during schools hours) is when we decided to get out. But then again I'm might be over protective of my child. Good luck

Old 08-18-2009, 07:44 AM

140 posts, read 535,860 times
I'm moving to Clifton from a very small town in Bergen Country (Ridgefield) and was also worried about how bad it is. I've heard mixed reviews, it seems like the areas near the bordering towns of Passaic and Paterson are ones to be leary of.

It is difficult to get a true answer unless you go there & drive through these areas. What's "bad" to someone might be acceptable to others. I drove through recently and was in the "downtown" section of Clifton (according to the sign) and it didn't look like a nice area, stores were rundown, people hanging out on the corners. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake in choosing this town. I don't have kids so the school system isn't important to me.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,427 times
Jesus Freaking Christ....people around here sure like to exagerate, Clifton is not a bad city at all, altough the school system is crappy, it's not a bad place to live. I lived in Clifton many years and I can tell you that altough it borders Passaic & Paterson is nowhere near those two towns as far as crime. Sure there are plenty of Hispanics but don't let that be a deterrent to living there. Now, best neighborhoods are the Montclair Heights section (Around Grove St), the Althenia section and the delawanna section. Now, Lakeview Ave & Paulison Ave area are less desirable areas but they are not sketchy or ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey