Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM

156 posts, read 486,242 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Union City - downtown, less than a mile from the viaduct and lived there until the mid 90s when I moved to Florida. I always find it rather humorous when people romanticize Hoboken for what it used to be "back in the day". Surely, nobody who is doing that recalls the 70s when Hoboken was hardly "cool" or "trendy". Very few people set out to move to Hoboken back then - you usually ended up there. The entire town smelled like coffee (from Maxwell House)...not just a light odor but a very powerful one during certain times of the year. Washington Street was not anything like it is now - it was dumpy, for lack of a better word. When talking to others who also grew up in the area, the phrase which comes up the most is "Sure, we all love Hoboken now, but that wasn't always the case..." and that pretty much sums it up. As a teenager, we mostly went through there to get on the PATH to the city and because there was a liquor store at the base of the viaduct that sold alcohol to ANYONE, and I do mean anyone. Occasionally we would go to Fiore's who had the best mozzarella in town (and in my opinion, still does) Other than that, not much to do or see.

It wasn't until the late 70s-80s when they began gentrification and then into the 90s that Hoboken suddenly became a desirable place to live and at that point, it began to evolve into what you see there today. A very similar thing happened in the Newport area of Jersey City - before they redeveloped that land and stuck the mall there in 1987ish, not much going on. Now? Condos everywhere and a Target, etc. Such it is. Feel however way you want about "sprawl", but in my opinion, I'd much rather look at condos than at abandoned rail yards and burnt out warehouses.

My grandparents lived in Hoboken until 2002-2003. I also have 2 aunts who live there currently and have for over 40 years. They have seen the good, the bad and the ugly and both of them have told me many times that the quality of life there now is far better than it used to be, even with the flaws that the city has. From what I have observed and have been told by many friends and relatives who also live there, I would tend to agree that though not perfect for everyone, it's still a far better place than it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 7,494 times
Default Looking for rental apartment in hoboken or nrby ares

WE are moving to NJ..near hoboken.can anyone suggest me some good areas nrby or rental apartments in hoboken.also let me know some reasonable apartments in those ares.please reply ASAP

Thanks

shivani

Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivani1210 View Post
WE are moving to NJ..near hoboken.can anyone suggest me some good areas nrby or rental apartments in hoboken.also let me know some reasonable apartments in those ares.please reply ASAP

Thanks

shivani
In order to give you truly useful suggestions we really need more info from you. Please see the sticky post at the top of this forum and provide us with your answers. Questions For Future and Potential Residents

It would also be a good idea to start a new/fresh thread.

KoalaNJ

Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 7,494 times
Smile Rental apartments

hi,

we are family looking for 1 or 2bedroom house near hoboken.can anyone please let me know which are good,safe and reasonable areas/neighbourhood nearby hoboken.we have our own car.I heard new por tis very expensive.please suggest some areas in terms of safety ,public transport and scools.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey