Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,955 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to the Ridgewood area and I'm about to start working in Jersey City. I have decided to commute by train but I'm concerned about using the train at night. How safe is it returning to Ridgewood after 7:30pm?

Is there any other way of getting to and from JC without driving? I have been told to rule out driving to work due to heavy traffic.

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:38 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchley View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the Ridgewood area and I'm about to start working in Jersey City. I have decided to commute by train but I'm concerned about using the train at night. How safe is it returning to Ridgewood after 7:30pm?

Is there any other way of getting to and from JC without driving? I have been told to rule out driving to work due to heavy traffic.

Thanks.
Train to Hoboken is your best bet, then PATH or light rail to JC. Where in JC will you be working?

And...I'm sorry but are you serious with that question about safety in RIDGEWOOD after 7:30 p.m.??? Ridgewood????? The poster-child town in NJ for commuters to the city? Curious as to what would raise the question of safety in your mind in such an area.

Are you from out of state? The reason I ask is that people from other places who post on here about moving to NJ often overstress safety as a criterion when they are looking for a suburban area with good schools, yada yada yada. Is there some bizarre perception out there that the default for Jersey is "unsafe".

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-10-2014 at 05:50 AM..

Old 11-10-2014, 08:38 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
This has to be joke?

NJT to Hoboken and then either the light rail or PATH to Exchange or Newport. I am assuming that's where you're working...easy peasey.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 AM

24 posts, read 34,541 times
I have to assume you're talking about the safety of being out and around/leaving Jersey City past 7:30, not anything related to the safety of coming into Ridgewood at that time!

The only places in JC that are seriously dangerous are Bergen Lafayette and Greenville. Journal Square and the Heights look rundown but are pretty safe. The chances that your job is located in one of these four "iffy" neighborhoods is next to none. All the waterfront neighborhoods and downtown JC are perfectly safe and gentrified, as is Hoboken, and I bet your job is located somewhere in there.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,955 times
Dear All,

Thanks for your responses. The job is on the waterfront. Lol! I am (of course) referring to being on the trains late at night. I'm a newbie in these parts and I have never used the trains. I was just wondering if they are still busy after rush hour.

Ridgewood is safe after dark. It's the getting there I'm worried about.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:00 PM

24 posts, read 34,541 times
Quote:
Dear All,

Thanks for your responses. The job is on the waterfront. Lol! I am (of course) referring to being on the trains late at night. I'm a newbie in these parts and I have never used the trains. I was just wondering if they are still busy after rush hour.

The light rail slows down but each station has a code associated with it. You can text the code to see when your next train is coming in. This will minimize how much time you have to spend at the station before your train. It's not that it's unsafe (let me assure you: the waterfront is super safe!), but it gets uber cold in the winter with the winds coming off the water and this tool allows you to time your routine for your convenience.

The NJ transit text codes are on a plaque at each station.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:03 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Dear All,

I work in Jersey City. Commuted from Ridgewood to NYC for decades, now in Monmouth County. The trains are very safe. You have nothing to worry about. Plenty of people are still taking trains home after 7:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey