Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 PM

14 posts, read 39,214 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to move out of my parents house. It's just too far away from work, and I'm tired of the long, long train rides from waaaay out in Queens to the heart of the city. I've been looking at neighborhoods in Queens and Manhattan and have found a few with apartments that are affordable, but I wanted to check with the Jersey forum to see what you guys think about commuting to Manhattan from, let's say, Hoboken or Jersey City.

Some background information: I'm in my early twenties and supporting only myself on $30K/year. I wouldn't mind bringing in a roommate to help with the pay rent. The main reason I'm considering North Jersey has to do with my future plans: I have aspirations to attend graduate school, and depending on what field I enter, Rutgers is both reputable and wouldn't put me in the hole like some institutions in the city would (that is, if I'm charged in-state tuition). I also have friends in Newark and New Brunswick that have done a much better job of keeping in touch than my friends in Queens. (Long story.) Oh, and rent in the city is expensive.

Anyway, I'm done rambling. Living in North Jersey, working in Manhattan, possibly becoming a resident of NJ and then being charged in-state tuition for a Masters program at Rutgers someday. Any feedback on this plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 02:43 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
There are plenty of threads on commuting to NYC from Hoboken vs. Jersey city so search for them and you'll get the idea quick.

As for grad school, that all depends on what you want to major and personally I recommend you stay in NY. You have more choices in NY for schools and if you work in city makes sense to go to school in city. Schools like Baruch has pretty good masters program and it is public school so you will save money if you are NY resident.

Choices of colleges and universities in NJ are not that impressive nor easy transportation if you plan to work in city and go to grad school. Pretty much good schools in NJ for masters (depending on what you want to master) are Stevens, Princeton, Rutgers. Rest are kind of eh and average...

Lastly if you make 30k/yr in NYC and plan to live in Hoboken, roommate is pretty much a must. Otherwise majority of your paycheck will go into rent because it ain't cheap over there. That said, personally I think you'd be better off in areas like Astoria where rent is more flexible and depending on what part of Astoria you live. N train will take you pretty quick into city.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 PM

14 posts, read 39,214 times
Thanks for the advice, babo! With regards to grad school, I've been looking primarily at Rutgers and schools within the CUNY system. I took out enough loans for my undergrad, so program expense will be a major factor in making my decision. I'll check out the Hoboken vs. Jersey City threads.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:04 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
try "jersey city heights" which is just outside of hoboken, has a midtown bus that's quick into the city, and rent is 50-70% the rent of Hoboken. grab a roomate up there, and you'll be well on your way and still have easy access to hoboken bars and such...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey