Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM

908 posts, read 1,556,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyr908 View Post
I'm so sorry!!! I feel like the few postings I made today are starting a revolt in PA! Sometimes you just don't know what you've got until you loose it! I told my husband I don't want to hear one word from him about NJ taxes! But the thing I really learned is I've taken for granted the very kind, loving friendship and acquaintances we had thinking it would be easy to start over. So it's a good thing in a way. I wish you the best on your relocating. Let's keep in touch!!

Judy
Aaaw, no, you didn't start any revolt. Its what we knew all along, but didn't really want to admit because we made such a big move. If so many people are saying the same thing about a place, it can't be a lie. I know many people who went back. Its too great of a culture shock from what we're used to in NJ. Of course NJ costs more. However, for everything NJ offers, a smaller place, and paying more in insurance & taxes is worth it. In Pa you get bigger, but that's not always better. Schools are awful. NJ schools are # 8 out of 50. That's not bad. NJ at least locks up dangerous criminals, especially child predators. Pa has bad health care ratings. The only good doctors I've met here have come from NJ, and they don't stay long. They too, return to their home states.
There's much more to consider than price & square footage.

Honestly, Pa may work for some, but I think many NJ & NY transplants go in it blindly. NJ & the entire NYC Metro are better than most of America. I think most of us took it for granted, not realizing how great we had it, until we left and saw that the grass is certainly not greener in Pa.

I just don't want anyone making our same mistake, and that is the only reason I post. I wish you success in coming back, and hope your husband sees how serious it is. I think he would benefit most moving back to NJ, because that commute was killing my husband in his 30's. I doubt he'd do it at 50. I hope all works out well

To the OP, I hope you find the best location for you & your family. Just take all the information into account. You want to be happy. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
Hi
Thanks for posting this.we are about to move from Bridgewater NJ to Allentown PA.
It's almost 50 miles travel for my husband on 78.
But we are still thinking abt the commute.
I saw the parkland schools are good in that area.
Somehow I feel being in smaller house with less commute and paying more on property tax is better than going out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey