Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Keep defending your right to own a gun. I'll keep voicing my opinion that I have no problem with you owning one as long as you agree to close the various loopholes that make it easy for criminals to attain guns. I would not be in support of a government move to confiscate weapons and I seriously doubt it would sit well with most people, the Supreme Court or the people that would be ordered to undertake such a plan. However, don't use what I consider to be your largely unfounded fear of confiscation to distract you from partaking in the discusison of how to address real issues. You, the legal responsible gun owner are not the problem. The problem is that many legal, responsible gun owners think that anything that requires enhanced background checks or registrations impinges on their rights, it doesn't.
realistically, we arent in a position where the government would confiscate weapons. but obama is a sneaky guy and he would do whatever is possible. at this point, it would probably come in the form of limits on guns you can own, magazine size and then maybe increasing hurdles to owning guns. they could also increase the amount of people denied through whatever criteria they wish to set.

i know its not the federal government's fault i cant carry, but i guess they could attempt to do what they do in nj on a national level. of course, you dont just flat out do it. you create roadblocks, limits, wait time, etc. etc. whatever they can get away with.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
It's because thousands of firearms flood into those areas from states that have lax gun laws and make things like straw purchases easy to do. I've already posted the statistic countless times. Of the something like 4,400 guns recently confiscated that were used in the comission of a crime in NJ only 600 of them originated in NJ and almost all of them were stolen from the homes of legal gun owners. That means, 3,800 of those guns came from other states, primarily West Virginia and in the south where they were easily obtained sans background checks or other limitations at gun shows and via private transaction.

The whole anti-regulation "story" of places like Newark and Chicago having gun crime incidents despite tough gun laws does not tell the whole story. The regulations in those areas work, however, they are ineffectual in light of the fact all one has to do is drive to a state with lax laws and buy however many guns they would like and then do with them as they please, like sell them to the gang-bangers and drug dealers.

I could drive to West Virginia tomorrow, attend a gun show and buy however many guns I wanted from a private seller at the show, no questions asked. I could then take those guns that are tied to me in no way whatsoever and head into Camden, Newark, etc. and sell them easily. That's a huge part of the problem and something that the pro-gun camp is completely unwilling to discuss because somehow registries and universal background checks on all gun sales "infringe" on the rights of legal gun owners. Though no one in the pro-gun camp can formulate an argument as to why it infringes that doesn't involve government siezures or UN troops invading the country.

Keep defending your right to own a gun. I'll keep voicing my opinion that I have no problem with you owning one as long as you agree to close the various loopholes that make it easy for criminals to attain guns. I would not be in support of a government move to confiscate weapons and I seriously doubt it would sit well with most people, the Supreme Court or the people that would be ordered to undertake such a plan. However, don't use what I consider to be your largely unfounded fear of confiscation to distract you from partaking in the discusison of how to address real issues. You, the legal responsible gun owner are not the problem. The problem is that many legal, responsible gun owners think that anything that requires enhanced background checks or registrations impinges on their rights, it doesn't.

Only a few reasons for not wanting gun owner registrations and background checks.

1. Has a questionable background of criminal activity.
2. Wants to resell guns.
3. Is mentally incompetent.
4. Is hiding a true identity that will surface with background check.

No honest "law abiding" gun owner should be afraid of any laws.

I had a background check before purchase and I am not concerned about them "coming to take my guns".

Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Only a few reasons for not wanting gun owner registrations and background checks.

2. Wants to resell guns.

I had a background check before purchase and I am not concerned about them "coming to take my guns".
i dont think there is a problem with background checks for most people. registration is something people in states like nj have been forced to accept. but other states dont force it and many people in those states dont want it. i believe the reason is that the government is the potential enemy so you dont really want them keeping a tab on the guns you own. i would prefer the government not know which guns i own but i would want the government to be able to track the purchaser down if it was used in a crime. maybe if its registered at a local level rather than federal or by some third party which would require court action for the government to access.

you can respond to me, i know you are lying about having me on ignore. you may not remember, but you did respond to a post of mine since you claim to have put me on ignore. i also have some generator questions that i want to ask you about since you are the resident expert.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
LMFAO - 62-Year-Old With Gun Only One Standing Between Nation And Full-Scale Government Takeover | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM

how is that the least bit funny?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Keep machine guns out of the hands of nuts and these shootings will be less frequent and less deadly.
First of all, no one is allowed to buy a machine gun NOW. Old news.
But let's assume you meant other types of guns. I agree. We have to keep guns out of the hands of NUTS.
Thank you for acknowledging that guns in the hands of the average American non "nut" are not a problem, and that the key is to identify the infinitesimal percentage that are "nuts" and not let them have guns. Let's discuss how that might be accomplished.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
IRResponsible gun owner:

The high-powered weapons that Adam Lanza used in his murderous rampage weren’t routinely locked up in his home even though his mother knew he had serious psychological problems, a close family friend told the Daily News.

Investigators are focusing on whether Lanza had a “psychotic break” before he murdered his mother, then shot to death 26 children and staffers at Sandy Hook Elementary School last month, the friend said.

Read more: Exclusive: Probe of Newtown shooter Adam Lanza focusing* on murderer
There. Fixed it for ya.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
realistically, we arent in a position where the government would confiscate weapons. but obama is a sneaky guy and he would do whatever is possible. at this point, it would probably come in the form of limits on guns you can own, magazine size and then maybe increasing hurdles to owning guns. they could also increase the amount of people denied through whatever criteria they wish to set.

i know its not the federal government's fault i cant carry, but i guess they could attempt to do what they do in nj on a national level. of course, you dont just flat out do it. you create roadblocks, limits, wait time, etc. etc. whatever they can get away with.
Says the man from NJ who apparently still legally owns weapons with which to defend his family despite the "draconian and downright un-American laws" imposed upon him by the state.

What would be so bad about having NJ style firearms laws applied nationally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

2. Wants to resell guns.

It's the only conclusion I can come to as well and if that's the case then isn't it clear-cut evidence that we need enhanced laws?

The only exception to that is the people who actually think they are protecting us from government tyranny or foreign invasion. I'm not sure who I fear more, people who might not be able to own a gun legally if all the checks were universally applied or the people that honestly think we are one step away from having jack booted UN troops invade the country at request of the "the Obama" to enforce the "New World Order".

Quote:
i dont think there is a problem with background checks for most people. registration is something people in states like nj have been forced to accept. but other states dont force it and many people in those states dont want it. i believe the reason is that the government is the potential enemy so you dont really want them keeping a tab on the guns you own. i would prefer the government not know which guns i own but i would want the government to be able to track the purchaser down if it was used in a crime. maybe if its registered at a local level rather than federal or by some third party which would require court action for the government to access.
Government is the potential enemy? Seriously? Do you honestly think that beyond the massive system of checks and balances in place to stop the government from enforcing tyranny that a bunch of guys with AR-15's are going to stand a snowballs chance in hell against Apache's, Predator drones, Abrams tanks, etc.? The concept of militia as check upon Federal military power was rooted in an age where a standing army didn't number more then 50k or so in a country the size of the US, everyone was armed with the same type of weapons and a commander would be lucky to have a dozen cannon at his disposal. The entire concept that you are "defending against tyranny" is ludicrous.

As for local versus national registrations, it won't work. It needs to be national, or the local data needs to be shared or it would still be impossible to track the guns used in crimes. Besides, wouldn't local registration mean that the government could just use NSA hackers to create a "shadow" database to use against you?

Quote:
how is that the least bit funny?
It's effing hysterical if you've ever spent anytime on a gun forum.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Says the man from NJ who apparently still legally owns weapons with which to defend his family despite the "draconian and downright un-American laws" imposed upon him by the state.

What would be so bad about having NJ style firearms laws applied nationally?
im not sure what you mean. i live in nj and i wish to own guns, so i have to comply with nj law. im generally fine with nj laws except i have a huge problem with the inability to get carry permits. im willing to jump through some hoops, but i shouldnt have no chance of getting that permit.

i can live with being registered but id certainly choose not to if i could. aside from that, id increase the magazine capacity limit in nj from 15 to 30 and i would take away the requirement to fill out an application for every handgun you want to buy. you do a background check everytime you get the gun, no need to apply at a police station each time and wait for a response.

i dont think its funny. no one guy thinks that he is going to defeat a tyrannical government all by himself. but as a large group and perhaps as entire states, we could defeat the federal government. it hopefully wont happen in my lifetime but i do figure it will happen eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey