Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 PM

382 posts, read 803,769 times

Advertisements

Clifton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
I think so too. Woodbridge is actually better than Edison in some respects.
I think Edison and Woodbridge are roughly equivalent. You have to consider the fact that they are two very large towns that each have populations on the verge of 100,000 people. The two largest suburban townships in the entire state. So with that you will have a large mix of neighborhoods and people. And not to mention the fact that these two towns pretty much constitute what you would consider to be an epicenter in the economic or corporate sense for Central NJ due to proximity to highways and railways alike, and of course that brings congestion to the area too. I would say as a whole they are upper middle class, but also have a few neighborhoods on the higher and lower ends of the spectrum too. Woodbridge certainly runs the gamut, you have some really dumpy areas like Keasbey and also some real exclusive upper class areas like Colonia Estates which are worlds apart from each other. I know the school system there has gotten a lot of negative publicity in recent years due to nepotism and things of that nature, but what district in NJ does not suffer from that. I used to be a teacher so I know this stuff. Between Edison and Woodbridge, you have a little something for everyone.

I lived in Edison for a few years, on Carlisle Ct, and my parents still live there, and my sisters have had good experiences there with the school system. Would I ever move back there? Probably not. I like North Brunswick much better, but it is still a great area to live and raise a family.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:10 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Poor Hackensack gets no respect. It's far wealthier than some of those other towns.
Hackensack isn't bad at all.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Examples from my experience, at least in North Jersey from a suburban perspective:

RICH -- think lots of open space, safety for many miles between neighborhood borders, and many mansions: Basking Ridge, Mendham, Warren, Franklin Lakes, Ridgewood, Short Hills, Chatham, Millburn, Summit, Westfield, Princeton.

UPPER MIDDLE CLASS -- think above average sized homes in safe neighborhoods with very little crime: Hillsborugh, Bridgewater, Green Brook, Scotch Plains, Cranford, Berkeley Heights, Watchung, Bedminster, West Orange.

MIDDLE CLASS -- think regular sized homes closer together in mostly safe neighborhoods with a few areas, if any, with crime: Middlesex, Piscataway, Bound Brook, Dunellen, Garwood, Springfield, Rutherford, Denville, Parsippany, Edison, Bloomfield, Manville.

LOWER MIDDLE CLASS -- a combination of regular sized homes with little property and some homes converted into multi-family units. Crime lingers but not a terrible inconvenience: Bayonne, Union, Roselle Park, Clifton.

POOR -- Neighborhood watch is a major factor, some areas completely run down, a minority of other areas of town might be decent to raise a family. People are generally struggling: Elizabeth, North Bergen, Hillside, Vauxhall, East Orange.

POVERTY -- Already mentioned: Camden seems to be the staple.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:30 AM

382 posts, read 803,769 times
I know of people in Saddle River that are dirt poor living off credit.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 18,418 times
Live in Princeton defintly upper middle class -grew up in Hunderton Countie back in 70s Ringoes some people were dirt poor others pretty well off -Moved to Rosemont in late 70s very wealthy people in that part -Both places were great places to live- schools were outstanding people back then were very nice use to hitch hike never had a problem -those were the days!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Examples from my experience, at least in North Jersey from a suburban perspective:

RICH -- think lots of open space, safety for many miles between neighborhood borders, and many mansions: Basking Ridge, Mendham, Warren, Franklin Lakes, Ridgewood, Short Hills, Chatham, Millburn, Summit, Westfield, Princeton.

UPPER MIDDLE CLASS -- think above average sized homes in safe neighborhoods with very little crime: Hillsborugh, Bridgewater, Green Brook, Scotch Plains, Cranford, Berkeley Heights, Watchung, Bedminster, West Orange.

MIDDLE CLASS -- think regular sized homes closer together in mostly safe neighborhoods with a few areas, if any, with crime: Middlesex, Piscataway, Bound Brook, Dunellen, Garwood, Springfield, Rutherford, Denville, Parsippany, Edison, Bloomfield, Manville.

LOWER MIDDLE CLASS -- a combination of regular sized homes with little property and some homes converted into multi-family units. Crime lingers but not a terrible inconvenience: Bayonne, Union, Roselle Park, Clifton.

POOR -- Neighborhood watch is a major factor, some areas completely run down, a minority of other areas of town might be decent to raise a family. People are generally struggling: Elizabeth, North Bergen, Hillside, Vauxhall, East Orange.

Very good list.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
Quote:

good list, though i wouldn't say vauxhall (a part of union) is poor. i'd add harding township to the rich category.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM

225 posts, read 720,819 times
West Orange has some upper middle class residents, to be sure, but as a whole, it's more of a middle class town

Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:

Interesting perspective.

Going by your criteria, I would put Hillsborough in Middle Class along with Green Brook. Bound Brook in Lower MC - tons of multi-family homes, small houses very close together, lots of rentals. One nice area.

I don't see Bridgewater as Upper Middle either. There are some nice areas, but there are some areas people wouldn't even know were Bridgewater, and they aren't so nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey