Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating Rob View Post
I never thought I would hear these words coming out of my own mouth but, I am moving my family to Austin Texas in January. Lets face it, New Jersey is overcrowded, over taxed, overly competitive, and Stressed Out! We looked in Cary NC and were told children have to attend school year round because too many people have moved there and they don't have enough schools to accomodate them (they have morning or afternoon classes) . Raleigh Durham is so overcrowded they are having problems with water supply and road congestion. Austin is hot, but not humid, has the largest university in the US, no state tax, exemplary schools, much more reasonable real estate.
The ocean is 3 hours away, butLake Travis is only about 20. I was shocked to find that it is actually hilly and green as well. It also has a great music scene, and has a significant liberal element. Check it out.
I just saw a segment last night on house hunters..an area about 15 minutes from downtown Austin..I think it was called Cat Mountain..absolutely beautiful...and the wildlife deer etc...stunning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 AM

438 posts, read 965,335 times
I have several friends in NC they love it but since they've been there they can't believe how much it's expanded and grown by the rush of people moving there.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:56 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
I have several friends in NC they love it but since they've been there they can't believe how much it's expanded and grown by the rush of people moving there.
It's crazy how many people are moving to NC. You can't drive down the street without seeing some type of construction. (Or yellow New Jersey license plates! Sheesh! You all must be leaving in droves!) I hear the same holds true for GA, TN and SC.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 AM

438 posts, read 965,335 times
my parents are looking at South Carolina and so is my uncle. I can remember what it was like in BC 25 years ago when I was young. It wasn't anything like it is now. Just the way things have been built up on Market St in Saddle Brook (my old hometown) is sad. There actually used to be a farm there, now its another strip mall. We have so many strip malls and now the god damn wallmart on 46 has ruined everything. The traffic is INSANE over there.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:10 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
For those who have been told food is taxed in NC, they are wrong, but Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) taxes 2%.

SC is removing the food tax, just LOWERED property taxes and are making it up by an increase of 1% in sales tax (on itmes other than food).
NC Tax Summary

Old 11-01-2007, 01:34 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
For those who have been told food is taxed in NC, they are wrong, but Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) taxes 2%.

SC is removing the food tax, just LOWERED property taxes and are making it up by an increase of 1% in sales tax (on itmes other than food).
NC Tax Summary
I don't get it, every time I go to Harris Teeter, there's a 7.25% and then a 2%NC tax on my grocery bill. Am I missing something here?
I thought taxing groceries and other items was how NC makes up for lower property taxes.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
good luck Relocation Bob, I think you will be really happy. I have a friend who lives outside Austin, called Dripping Springs, she is so happy!! Very Green!!!! Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I don't get it, every time I go to Harris Teeter, there's a 7.25% and then a 2%NC tax on my grocery bill. Am I missing something here?
I thought taxing groceries and other items was how NC makes up for lower property taxes.
If it's anything like GA, you're seeing 7.5% on what are considered "non-essential" items- soda, snacks, etc., and 2% on the rest of your order. You'll usually see a "T" or some other symbol next to the items that are being taxed. Do the math on what the 7.5% amount is 7.5% of, and do the same for the 2% amount- it's doubtful that either is on the total amount.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:16 PM

18 posts, read 57,512 times
I'm from NJ/NY but recently been dragged to Chapel Hill. haha! j/k Hubby's job relocated and am in Chapel Hill. Everyday cost of living is the same here, definitely not cheaper. Gas prices are HIGH, and get this, all gas stations sell '87' but seldom find stations with '93'. The oddest thing. Hubby and I have cars that require '93' so it's a trek to just fill up! THE ONLY thing cheaper, and a MAJOR thing at that, is the cost of homes and property taxes. We just went to look at homes (a ton of NEW builds EVERYWHERE), and they are gorgeous and dare I say dirt cheap! I saw a $500K spread here that would get you a tool shed in Summit, NJ. Beautiful NEW homes are available here from $200K and up.. unheard of in NJ.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:15 AM

26 posts, read 115,584 times
We moved out of there in August. We have moved to Houston TX and love it.
We actually moved without jobs. (It didn't take me long to get a good job down here, my husband is still looking though). From the profit we made on our NJ house, we were able to buy a brand new beautiful home, 2500 sq ft, 4br, 2 1/2 b, 2 car garage for 180K.

There is no state tax here in Texas, the job market is fantastic here in Houston! Lots of jobs! The city of Houston is very cultured with museums, theatre district, nice shopping, lots of restaurants.

We do miss NJ quite a bit, but we love it here, and are glad we made the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey