Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi21 View Post
^^ Yes to that. If the flu could cause autism, why is the rate of autism rising even though more pregnant women are getting the flu shot?? I don't think the flu shot causes autism but we should see the rates of autism going down since more and more pregnant women get the flu shot. Autism was almost unheard of decades ago before anyone really ever got the flu shot. So that theory makes no sense.
Technically the RATE of autism is not rising.... what is rising is education & awareness, so what has been written off in the past as social awkwardness or some kind of learning disability is now correctly diagnosed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Technically the RATE of autism is not rising.... what is rising is education & awareness, so what has been written off in the past as social awkwardness or some kind of learning disability is now correctly diagnosed.
Unfathomable nonsense. Some time ago I wrote a lengthy and well-sourced post in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum on this myth. The cliffs notes version of the post is that tweaks to the ASD diagnosis criteria, education and awareness had zero statistical effect on autism diagnoses. After each tweak to the diagnosis criteria, the autism rate continued to rise at the same level as under the previous criteria. Plus, at least 25 percent of autistic kids are non-verbal, and some pediatricians are downright insulted by the idea that they have simply missed significant signs of autism over the past 50 years or so. Where those awareness programs and diagnoses tweaks might bring some of the outlines of ASD under the diagnosis, those small changes likely have no statistical impact on the incidence and prevalence rate of autism (which is increasing exponentially in a uniform epidemiological fashion and not a hap-hazard awareness-based fashion). The sooner we eliminate the myth that the huge increase in autism is an awareness phenomenon, the sooner we can look to find a cause (something I suspect that some people with a great amount of influence are trying to hide).

Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn't have to be the virus that causes damage, it's possible it's the fever and rise in body temperature...
True. If influenza infection causes ASD (something I sincerely doubt), then the virus itself cannot be the cause, which means that the response to the virus is the cause. Thus, under that theory, the vaccine itself could potentially cause autism.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Unfathomable nonsense. Some time ago I wrote a lengthy and well-sourced post in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum on this myth. The cliffs notes version of the post is that tweaks to the ASD diagnosis criteria, education and awareness had zero statistical effect on autism diagnoses. After each tweak to the diagnosis criteria, the autism rate continued to rise at the same level as under the previous criteria. Plus, at least 25 percent of autistic kids are non-verbal, and some pediatricians are downright insulted by the idea that they have simply missed significant signs of autism over the past 50 years or so. Where those awareness programs and diagnoses tweaks might bring some of the outlines of ASD under the diagnosis, those small changes likely have no statistical impact on the incidence and prevalence rate of autism (which is increasing exponentially in a uniform epidemiological fashion and not a hap-hazard awareness-based fashion). The sooner we eliminate the myth that the huge increase in autism is an awareness phenomenon, the sooner we can look to find a cause (something I suspect that some people with a great amount of influence are trying to hide).
It's neither nonsense nor a myth. It's more than just overall awareness, they keep changing the diagnostic criteria. It was actually changed again this year in the latest DSM. That has a huge impact on the # of diagnoses made. I'm not into arguing with conspiracy theorists though, and now we are getting away from the original topic of this post, which is measles.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
It's neither nonsense nor a myth. It's more than just overall awareness, they keep changing the diagnostic criteria. It was actually changed again this year in the latest DSM. That has a huge impact on the # of diagnoses made. I'm not into arguing with conspiracy theorists though, and now we are getting away from the original topic of this post, which is measles.
Again, I addressed changes in diagnosis criteria, and I'm not sure what "conspiracy" you're referring to. And GoYanks moved the topic to a "similar" topic, which I responded to.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I was born in 67 so I don't know if I got it in 67 or 68.
And you don't know if you got the good stuff or the bad stuff.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
And you don't know if you got the good stuff or the bad stuff.
'xactly.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM

18 posts, read 127,268 times
What is "sweet irony"?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
I was born in 1960, and had the vaccine, but still got the measles 3x. I got the MMR again in 2003.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:42 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:

I agree that since, say the 70,'s, 80's, even 90's, this was true...many kids were not being diagnosed. But the rates doubled since 2007 according to last night's World News Tonight. I worked in special ed during this time, 2002-2008, and I don't think Autism was still being chalked up to social awkwardness then, only 6 years ago. Something is going on, and hopefully they will try to figure out what it is rather than claim the numbers don't mean anything significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey