Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I'm not actually trying to insult you; just calling it as I see it. You, on the other hand, seem to take great effort in slinging out the insults and incredibly broad generalizations.
So...you calling me afraid of hyper-competition in Hoboken isn't a generalization how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:01 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,984,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
So...you calling me afraid of hyper-competition in Hoboken isn't a generalization how?
No, perhaps I was a bit too accurate for your comfort? And I don't believe I said you were afraid, just that you seem to have come up short in winning the attention of the Hoboken ladies, thus generating such a high level of resentment.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
how is it a generalization? you made a statement that sounded very negative about the hyper competitiveness of hoboken residents and so he figured you are afraid of such competition. it may be a bad assumption but its not a generalization.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM

135 posts, read 370,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha is your family mentally handicapped? they dont understand the concept of different cities and towns and their borders? it should be especially simple with hoboken/nyc since the border is water. sometimes the border is just land and across a line is a different town/city/state/country/etc. your family members need to go all the way back to elementary school.
Thanks, I'll be sure to tell them...

Anyway, it's just that they needed an explanation.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM

135 posts, read 370,814 times
As for the resentment towards Hoboken, I don't understand it. I mean, I've come across some irritating yuppie guys, but there are plenty of down to earth people in Hoboken, as well. Then again...they could have been people from other towns who just came to hang out. :O

If you feel this way about people in Hoboken, then you must REALLY hate people in Manhattan. I can tolerate yuppies to an extent, but I'll admit that hipsters are very irritating.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNJ View Post
It is the setting of many films and television shows (The Soprano's is an example, considered the greatest American television show)
A relative did a semester abroad in London, during the heyday of the Sopranos. When he told locals that he was from New Jersey, they would laugh, and say, "Funny, that!" They thought NJ was a fictional name for the setting of the Sopranos, like Gotham or Metropolis!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how is it a generalization? you made a statement that sounded very negative about the hyper competitiveness of hoboken residents and so he figured you are afraid of such competition. it may be a bad assumption but its not a generalization.
It's sickening. Manhattan is even worse. Working hard for low pay is dumb.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
Just some general observations from reading this thread thus far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I have seen the NYC/NJ debates on this forum plenty of times and for someone who came from a different state to me it is all one big metro area. I really don't understand way people try to separate the two.
Hell, that's how we feel in South Jersey haha.

Quote:
Is it common practice when meeting people internationally to say the largest city near you, or the city that represents your metro area? I would feel weird if I told someone "I'm from New York City" though I actually live in a SUBURB OF New York City.
Quote:
When I meet people in other countries, the conversation usually goes like this:

Person: "Oh, you're American! Where are you from?"

Me: "I'm from a New Jersey suburb of NYC, outside of the city."

Person: "Ah...so you're from New York City!"

Me: "....Sure."

I guess it's true that people only care about the cities or know them well enough to talk about them.
I've noticed this phenomenon everywhere in my travels. Almost everybody I've met from around the world just says the city they are closest to.

Quote:
I believe everything built on Ellis Island belongs to New Jersey, but I'm not sure about Liberty Island.
The "original" Ellis Island still belongs to Manhattan, however the majority of the island that was built through landfilling belongs to Jersey City. You can see the border if you zoom in on GMaps. Liberty Island however fully belongs to NYC. The reason is some colonial governor said any island that could be circumnavigated in 24hrs would go to NY. That's why Staten Island is part of NY now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
and local news media who gives weather reports for NYC and Philly without mention of NJ.
Philly media does a very good job covering South Jersey, and also does a better job than NYC media of covering the parts of Central Jersey that are supposedly in NYC's sphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey08057 View Post
I think for a state that doesn't have its own media outlets we're doing okay. lol
We've had this conversation before and I still don't agree with it haha. States don't have media outlets, cities do. WPVI even has a Trenton news bureau. Okay, to meet halfway with you, Atlantic City does have its own NBC affiliate. But anyway, I do think it's a shame though that Newark doesn't have its own outlets. The NYC region is 22mil people, far too many for one affiliate to cover. But ABC, CBS, and NBC would never give up viewers of their flagship affiliates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Yes, New Jersey is a well-known place. But I agree with others who've stated that most people outside of New Jersey think city-centric rather than state-centric. (People tend to say "I'm from Buffalo" or "I'm from Rochester" instead of "I'm from New York State" — "I'm from Pittsburgh" rather than "I'm from Pennsylvania".) The way many of us think about New Jersey is akin to the way others think about the city they're from. In practicality, we are from the 'City of New Jersey.'
I feel like it's really only the NY/NNJ area that's like this. Someone from SJ says they're from Philly, no problem. Same thing with MD/VA regarding DC. I've met people from Gary, Indiana who say they're from Chicago, and I've even met people from Mississippi who say they're from Memphis. You're right though, it's funny how whenever people are listing cities in whatever context, they are always like "Yeah, NY, Boston, Atlanta, New Jersey, San Francisco" etc, I've heard it a million times.

On a different note, I have met several foreigners who actually think NJ is a twin city to NY.

Quote:
I've brought family from out of the country in Hoboken, and they have a hard time understanding that New York City actually isn't in New Jersey.
I can see where they are coming from. Culturally and geographically, it makes more sense for LI and NYC to be part of NJ than NY State.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Well, I guess what matters too is what area you're from. In Bergen county I could say I'm from the NYC metro area/Gateway region. In regards to Hurricane Sandy, I really hope that when they rebuild the boardwalks, that they make them even better than they were before. Let's face it, most of our tourism is thanks to our beaches. Hopefully the New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, Delawarians (Yes, they come as well) and Canadians go down the shore this summer. Do people from any other states go to the Jersey Shore for vacation? Perhaps people from Vermont?
My niece in Massachusetts comes to the Jersey Shore. They don't have the sand beaches like we have, with some exceptions.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
It's sickening. Manhattan is even worse. Working hard for low pay is dumb.
you figure there are areas without any people that work hard for low pay? it doesnt seem right to single out hoboken for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey