Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:24 AM

135 posts, read 370,613 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess what matters too is what area you're from. In Bergen county I could say I'm from the NYC metro area/Gateway region. In regards to Hurricane Sandy, I really hope that when they rebuild the boardwalks, that they make them even better than they were before. Let's face it, most of our tourism is thanks to our beaches. Hopefully the New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, Delawarians (Yes, they come as well) and Canadians go down the shore this summer. Do people from any other states go to the Jersey Shore for vacation? Perhaps people from Vermont?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM

135 posts, read 370,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
"Crossroads of the Revolution" (Our Bicentennial Moniker as well as State Quarter Motto.)

Famous people from New Jersey? ABSOLUTELY! Not to be missed: Sounds Like New Jersey! - YouTube
(But Albert Einstein? Don't confuse 'Jersey' with 'Germany'!)

Yes, New Jersey is a well-known place. But I agree with others who've stated that most people outside of New Jersey think city-centric rather than state-centric. (People tend to say "I'm from Buffalo" or "I'm from Rochester" instead of "I'm from New York State" — "I'm from Pittsburgh" rather than "I'm from Pennsylvania".) The way many of us think about New Jersey is akin to the way others think about the city they're from. In practicality, we are from the 'City of New Jersey.'

No, we are not part of New York City nor in its shadow. New Jersey stands alone as a 'great city.' Sharing a geographic border with another great city doesn't take away from this reality. See: What is the difference between St. Paul and Minneapolis?, or Dallas and Fort Worth which have grown to border each other.
I've brought family from out of the country in Hoboken, and they have a hard time understanding that New York City actually isn't in New Jersey. They try reasoning with "But it's right there!". We are part of the NYC area and it's no lie that the city plays a big part in our lives, but I think it's important for NJ to show that it is unique and independent, because it is. Also, I'd much rather have a house or apartment in New Jersey overlooking the NYC skyline. I pay less (maybe, in some cases), it's more peaceful, and I get that beautiful view! Also when I mentioned Albert Einstein, I was aware that he was from Germany. However, he spent a great portion of his life in New Jersey and died here.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You have no idea what Hoboken was like before the mid 1980's. As a State, all of NJ should be THRILLED with what Hoboken has become.
I recall. It was even more of a sewer back then and still is.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I recall. It was even more of a sewer back then and still is.
I doubt it. You seem way too young to actually "recall" that time period.

So what is the bug up your butt about Hoboken? Did all those competitive yuppie-type guys squeeze you out of having any chance with the ladies in town?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I doubt it. You seem way too young to actually "recall" that time period.

So what is the bug up your butt about Hoboken? Did all those competitive yuppie-type guys squeeze you out of having any chance with the ladies in town?
Who would want them? Most of them are social climbing sluts with bad personalities that happen to dress well.

Hyper-competitive = age fast and die early.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Who would want them? Most of them are social climbing sluts with bad personalities that happen to dress well.

Thanks for confirming! Hope your game plays better out west.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for confirming! Hope your game plays better out west.
I don't think I'm wrong...

Your insults really are bush league -- hope you know that and stop as a result.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNJ View Post
I've brought family from out of the country in Hoboken, and they have a hard time understanding that New York City actually isn't in New Jersey. They try reasoning with "But it's right there!".
haha is your family mentally handicapped? they dont understand the concept of different cities and towns and their borders? it should be especially simple with hoboken/nyc since the border is water. sometimes the border is just land and across a line is a different town/city/state/country/etc. your family members need to go all the way back to elementary school.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I don't think I'm wrong...

Your insults really are bush league -- hope you know that and stop as a result.
I'm not actually trying to insult you; just calling it as I see it. You, on the other hand, seem to take great effort in slinging out the insults and incredibly broad generalizations.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:

social climbing sluts?????? there is definitely a deeper reason for such resentment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey