Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 PM

19 posts, read 203,573 times

Advertisements

Is Fort Lee, NJ one of the biggest towns in Bergen County? I know Hackensack and Englewood are among the biggest towns in Bergen County and I have heard a lot of bad news about 'em dealing with danger and crime from people, and I'm just wondering if Fort Lee is safe and better than those two towns I've mentioned. Is Fort Lee a good, peaceful place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YO ITZZ JASONN View Post
Is Fort Lee, NJ one of the biggest towns in Bergen County? I know Hackensack and Englewood are among the biggest towns in Bergen County and I have heard a lot of bad news about 'em dealing with danger and crime from people, and I'm just wondering if Fort Lee is safe and better than those two towns I've mentioned. Is Fort Lee a good, peaceful place to live?
Hackensack was never a good place. Englewood is the hood, there are crack heads. Fort Lee is pretty safe. But the Asian/ Hispanic youth can be dangerous, esp. at night

Old 05-29-2008, 12:20 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
fort lee is one of the biggest towns in bergen county by population - about 35,000 residents. by comparison, hackensack has about 42,000 residents (most in the county) and englewood about 26,000 (among the bigger towns).

none of these towns are dangerous, and i would certainly not characterize hackensack or englewood as the "hood". hackensack and englewood have some blue collar/working class areas that aren't the best, but they're hardly on the level of newark, irvington, or camden. the typical things that go on in these areas are smaller scale property crimes, loitering, and low-level drug dealing; these are very much confined to the small, less desirable pockets of town. serious, violent crime is an infrequent occurrence, but the few times it happened it was all over the news, since these things are so unexpected anywhere in the county. and both hackensack and englewood have some really nice areas, especially englewood. have you seen the east hill section of town? the area is filled with multi-million dollar old-school mansions. the downtown area along palisade avenue is really nice as well. and most of the supposedly "bad" side of town is actually working-to-middle class with stable households. the worst part of town is in the southwest, but again, not so terrible.

in other words, these towns are fine overall. the nice parts are great and the less desirable areas are a bit rough around the edges without being complete slums. seriously, you could do a lot worse.

as for fort lee, didn't you say in another thread that you used to live there, jason? so why are you asking if the town is "safe" or "peaceful"? of course it is - always has been. considering you're 15 years old, i can guarantee that things haven't changed all that much in your lifetime as far as safety is concerned. and i would strongly disagree with the statement that the "asian/hispanic youth can be dangerous, esp. at night" in fort lee. puh-leez. i could walk around the entire town at 4 in the morning and be perfectly fine. the asian and hispanic kids are just that - kids. they're mainly middle class and bored, just like most other suburbanites.

if you consider korean kids hanging out a karaoke parlor or internet gaming cafe as "dangerous", or hispanic kids hanging out near the 7-11 on lemoine ave as "unsafe", well then i don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by pbergen; 05-29-2008 at 12:37 AM..

Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
fort lee is one of the biggest towns in bergen county by population - about 35,000 residents. by comparison, hackensack has about 42,000 residents (most in the county) and englewood about 26,000 (among the bigger towns).

none of these towns are dangerous, and i would certainly not characterize hackensack or englewood as the "hood". hackensack and englewood have some blue collar/working class areas that aren't the best, but they're hardly on the level of newark, irvington, or camden. the typical things that go on in these areas are smaller scale property crimes, loitering, and low-level drug dealing; these are very much confined to the small, less desirable pockets of town. serious, violent crime is an infrequent occurrence, but the few times it happened it was all over the news, since these things are so unexpected anywhere in the county. and both hackensack and englewood have some really nice areas, especially englewood. have you seen the east hill section of town? the area is filled with multi-million dollar old-school mansions. the downtown area along palisade avenue is really nice as well. and most of the supposedly "bad" side of town is actually working-to-middle class with stable households. the worst part of town is in the southwest, but again, not so terrible.

in other words, these towns are fine overall. the nice parts are great and the less desirable areas are a bit rough around the edges without being complete slums. seriously, you could do a lot worse.

as for fort lee, didn't you say in another thread that you used to live there, jason? so why are you asking if the town is "safe" or "peaceful"? of course it is - always has been. considering you're 15 years old, i can guarantee that things haven't changed all that much in your lifetime as far as safety is concerned. and i would strongly disagree with the statement that the "asian/hispanic youth can be dangerous, esp. at night" in fort lee. puh-leez. i could walk around the entire town at 4 in the morning and be perfectly fine. the asian and hispanic kids are just that - kids. they're mainly middle class and bored, just like most other suburbanites.

if you consider korean kids hanging out a karaoke parlor or internet gaming cafe as "dangerous", or hispanic kids hanging out near the 7-11 on lemoine ave as "unsafe", well then i don't know what to tell you.
Are you trying to hype Bergen County? You probably own property, am i right? I grew up in Bergen County and this kid is a 15 year old Asian male. I am an Asian male. I know what he will have to deal with probably 100 times more than you.

Generalizations can never be correct.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:02 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Are you trying to hype Bergen County? You probably own property, am i right? I grew up in Bergen County and this kid is a 15 year old Asian male. I am an Asian male. I know what he will have to deal with probably 100 times more than you.

Generalizations can never be correct.
no, i'm not trying to hype anything. i'm just speaking from my own personal knowledge of these towns: stuff i've seen first-hand, learned from friends who currently live in these towns, and read in newspaper accounts and census data. even though i live in the city now, i grew up in bergen county just like you, and to this day i cross the hudson almost every weekend to help out my parents. in other words, i've been in and around these towns from my childhood through the present. so i can say without reservation that i know these towns extremely well.

and no, i don't own property in bergen county or elsewhere for that matter, as i'm too poor to own squat.

and btw, i'm an asian male too. one who's spent a lot of time in fort lee, pal park, and other towns in that area just like countless other asians out there. so i can very much relate to the OP's queries (including his other threads). you and jason are not the only asians from bergen county on this site.

and geez, man...who's talking in generalizations here? look at your first post: "Hackensack was never a good place. Englewood is the hood, there are crack heads. Fort Lee is pretty safe. But the Asian/ Hispanic youth can be dangerous, esp. at night."

those sure sound like generalizations to me. OTOH, i provided detailed specifics so as to paint a more complete picture about these towns.

talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:57 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YO ITZZ JASONN View Post
Yes, Fort Lee is one of the biggest towns in Bergen County. Here is a list of the most populated towns in Bergen County:

1) Hackensack
2) Teaneck
3) Fort Lee
4) Fair Lawn
5) Garfield
6) Englewood
7) Paramus
8) Bergenfield
9) Ridgewood
10) Lodi

I would say Fort Lee is better than those two towns you mentioned. However, I think Hackensack and Englewood aren't as bad as people say they are. For example, people complain all the time about Hackensack High and it came up as one of the best high schools in NJ in Newsweek. Hackensack also has The Shops at Riverside (with a Saks). You wouldn't find a Saks in the ghetto. I think they have these images because they aren't as wealthy as the rest of the county. The same exact thing happens to Dover in Morris County.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 05-30-2008 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
I was born in jersey city and grew up in Hackensack, Im glad i grew up there out of all of bergen. I don't consider it A GHETTO. It's just the lowest priced area in bergen, and bergen has no OFFICIAL ghetto, i think your safe as long as you go into bergen.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 16,310 times
i grew up in fort lee, it was much better then but in about 2006 it changed and only then could it be referred to as my hood. englewood has some bad areas, but fort lee and hackensack fall into the same category as far as crime and drug rates. crack is everywhere, it was even around in ft lee when i was going to school.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 14,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Hackensack was never a good place. Englewood is the hood, there are crack heads. Fort Lee is pretty safe. But the Asian/ Hispanic youth can be dangerous, esp. at night
that is not true

Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
fort lee is the nicest town on that list lol

gimme a break. what, asian gangs are taking over lolz?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey