Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

On a more serious note, about 10 years ago I was cited for 113 in a construction zone (55). I was moving that day, drove through this speed trap 6 times (3 round trips). My last trip was the one where I got pulled over. Ticket was $518 and I was definitely not speeding, 54 +/- mph since I knew he had been there his whole shift. I suspect he did see a speeder but he pulled me over in the distance thinking I got that much of a jump on him. Despite me explaining that I had seen him all day and even mentioning the last car I saw him pull over (beater red pickup) he wrote me and left.

I took it to court. Explained to the judge that I had gotten gas just before entering the highway, receipt showed the time. I went 16 miles in 16 minutes (before the pull over, time was written on the ticket). I explained I had seen this trap 6 times that day and if I was going 113 he certainly wouldn't have caught me by the next exit. Judge knew the gas station, knew the speed trap and believed that I wasn't going 113. She gave me a $250 fine, no points/no driving school.

Have I driven 113, yep more than once! Did I go 113 that day...nope but it cost me $250 anyway.....oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Is that you JohnFrisco?
FUNNY. Head over to the automotive forum for some more frisco laughs.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Obama's fault...you just heard him say on the radio that the economy had turned around! You were so happy you didn't realize you were speeding.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,360 times
i once as a teenager went 130 in a 65 on the oakland stretch of 287. cop pulled me over and FLIPPED out about my saftey and others, he was 100% right. it was dumb and i havent done anything as extreme in 12 years. ended up with a 79 in a 65 ticket after having my stepdad(lawyer) help me. judge almost didnt want to accept it and mentioned if i ever show up in his courtroom again, he will "throw the book at me"

Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Your only real hope to disprove you were going that fast is if you had a GPS in your car and get GPS data as proof to counter Trooper's claim of you going at the speed he said you were going.

It's a hit or miss. In state like Ohio, judge ruled against the speeder saying not enough info on how Verizon GPS works so forth. I believe in another case, judge agreed because speed difference was too much between what was said on GPS and what trooper said it was.

In your case, you're talking 10 difference so it's probably not a lot. Your best luck is to get a lawyer so you don't get completely screwed. 45 beyond speed limit is huge.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Thank you officer.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Its your 1st speeding ticket in 7 years because you haven't been caught, not because you don't speed, according to your own account. NJ drivers get ticketed for BS charges all the time, and if they care to fight the charges, they usually win. However, you put people's lives in danger. Trying to prove you were going 61 mph instead of 70 mph in 25mph road will NOT help you much. If a child had run across the street or someone was backing out of their driveway and didn't see you, things could have ended much worse than you getting a speeding ticket, which you deserve. You did more than twice the speed limit, get a lawyer because it doesn't look good for you.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymillah View Post
Hi Guys,

My questions: Can police cars clock you while they are driving in the opposing traffic coming towards you?
Why yes, yes they can.

You are lucky, they can take your license away for going more than double the speed limit. You can go to court & try to get it lowered, but that's about it. Slow down!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Its your 1st speeding ticket in 7 years because you haven't been caught, not because you don't speed, according to your own account. NJ drivers get ticketed for BS charges all the time, and if they care to fight the charges, they usually win. However, you put people's lives in danger. Trying to prove you were going 61 mph instead of 70 mph in 25mph road will NOT help you much. If a child had run across the street or someone was backing out of their driveway and didn't see you, things could have ended much worse than you getting a speeding ticket, which you deserve. You did more than twice the speed limit, get a lawyer because it doesn't look good for you.
I speed all the time (not crazy excessive like the OP - like 10-15 over the speed limit on highways). I've been pulled over multiple times. I've gotten tickets, warnings or got off. Out of all the times I've been pulled over there's ONE time I felt it was wrong. I went to fight it but it was the day before my mother died (she was in the hospital) and I was so distraught I couldn't wait until my case was called.

My point is I own it, and don't try to make excuses. It's very freeing. OP, you should try to do the same.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
So I got pulled over this morning for allegedly doing 70 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. Now, I know I was going fast, but there was no way I hit 70 MPH. I saw my speedo hit 59-61 when I saw the police office driving in the opposing traffic. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw him, and started to slow down. And right enough, he made a swift U turn and came at me.
Tell us again why you think you deserve a plea bargain?

Quote:
Here's a little bit of perspective for the readers. I have been taking this road to work for 3 year. I know exactly what the speed limits on each stretch of road are. I was actually exiting the 25 MPH zone (where I was doing 34 the whole time) and preparing to enter the 45 MPH zone which was coming right up (100 yards away), where I intended to do 59 MPH.
So you were doing 9 MPH over in the 25 zone already and were intending to do 14 MPH over in the 45 zone.

Quote:
So I step on the gas pedal, the car (S4) accelerates really quickly from ~35 to 60 and I get pulled over.
Riiiiiiiiiiight...it was the car's fault.

Quote:
My questions: Can police cars clock you while they are driving in the opposing traffic coming towards you? Does the law of relative velocity (?) not affect the radar (laser) data? Can I argue the effectiveness of the speed measuring device in such a situation?
You're kidding right? BTW what is the law of relative velocity? Is that when something is falling at the speed of light?

Quote:
This is my FIRST speeding ticket in 7 years of driving. What are my options here? Can I expect any kind of plea bargain at the prosecutor's office? Or should I just lawyer up before I even go to court? The ticket says, it cant be paid online and has a court date on it. Do I need to call the court in advance to confirm?
The instructions are right on the back of the ticket. No kidding a court appearance is required-70 MPH in a 55-65 zone is keeping up with traffic. 70MPH in a 25 zone is just plain reckless...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey