Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times

Advertisements

When I used to live in Bergen county (Edgewater), I loved blue law. It was pretty much only time it was quiet and got to enjoy the town as local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Aren't Blue Laws religious based, specifically the Christian religion? It would seem that they are unconstitutional. People can claim that it has nothing to do with religion anymore, but let someone suggest a Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, or a Friday, the Muslim day of worship, and watch all hell break loose. If you don't want to work on Sunday don't. People should be able to open their businesses if they choose, even on someone else's Sabbath.
There are so many other things wrong with this law. Its the only thing about Bergen County, my family who live there hate.
The people who want the law overturned have a better chance if they use the constitution as a driving force.
The Blue Laws have their roots in religion, but at this point for Bergen County, it's about traffic and congestion more than anything. Bergen County is the mostly populous county in the state with nearly 1 million residents and a population density of 3,884 people per square mile At least to me it seems like the Blue Laws make the horrible congestion and overcrowding just barely tolerable.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
has this been put to a vote of the residents before?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The Blue Laws have their roots in religion, but at this point for Bergen County, it's about traffic and congestion more than anything. Bergen County is the mostly populous county in the state with nearly 1 million residents and a population density of 3,884 people per square mile At least to me it seems like the Blue Laws make the horrible congestion and overcrowding just barely tolerable.
is right. Not sure why I never felt it was that crowded whenever I visit. Maybe because I can handle NYC traffic(NOT on HOLIDAYS!)? If that's their reason, then the constitution is on their side.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
It doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me--one way or the other--but, the Blue Laws actually cause me to avoid Bergen County on Saturdays, as well as Sundays.

Because of the Sunday closings, the number of people in the stores on Saturdays is much higher, and the congestion of the roads on Saturdays is much worse, than they would be if business was expanded to 7 days in total. I avoid these mob scenes like the plague.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me--one way or the other--but, the Blue Laws actually cause me to avoid Bergen County on Saturdays, as well as Sundays.

Because of the Sunday closings, the number of people in the stores on Saturdays is much higher, and the congestion of the roads on Saturdays is much worse, than they would be if business was expanded to 7 days in total. I avoid these mob scenes like the plague.

this is how i see it. it seems to me that if they would open sunday, less people would need to do things on saturday.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:15 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Aren't Blue Laws religious based, specifically the Christian religion? It would seem that they are unconstitutional. People can claim that it has nothing to do with religion anymore, but let someone suggest a Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, or a Friday, the Muslim day of worship, and watch all hell break loose. If you don't want to work on Sunday don't. People should be able to open their businesses if they choose, even on someone else's Sabbath.
I'm very sure that the current statute establishing this practice in Bergen County has no mention of, "the Sunday Sabbath", as religiously-based laws of that nature would be an infringement of the rights of people of other religions, and there is legal precedent for striking down laws of that nature.

Back in the '70s, a group of merchants on NY's Lower East Side banded together to sue the city of NY over its requirement that all retail shops close for, "The Sunday Sabbath". Because these merchants were Jewish and they already closed on Saturdays, NYC's archaic laws forced them to close for the Christian Sabbath as well as their own.

As you would probably guess, NY's highest court agreed with the argument of the merchants, and subsequently NYC's statute was changed to read that businesses had to close for one "Sabbath" day, with the specific day to be chosen by the merchant. Later--of course--this revision was again revised, thus allowing NYC retail businesses to be open on all 7 days.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I'm very sure that the current statute establishing this practice in Bergen County has no mention of, "the Sunday Sabbath", as religiously-based laws of that nature would be an infringement of the rights of people of other religions, and there is legal precedent for striking down laws of that nature.

Back in the '70s, a group of merchants on NY's Lower East Side banded together to sue the city of NY over its requirement that all retail shops close for, "The Sunday Sabbath". Because these merchants were Jewish and they already closed on Saturdays, NYC's archaic laws forced them to close for the Christian Sabbath as well as their own.

As you would probably guess, NY's highest court agreed with the argument of the merchants, and subsequently NYC's statute was changed to read that businesses had to close for one "Sabbath" day, with the specific day to be chosen by the merchant. Later--of course--this revision was again revised, thus allowing NYC retail businesses to be open on all 7 days.

so the blue laws are hurting jews since they cant open saturdays and sundays. how are the jews supposed to make a living!?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
i'm just absolutely amazed that every time this topic is brought up - the most vocal people are from people that don't even friggen live there. how would you like it if people in bergen county tried to mandate businesses in your county? please, let this topic die forever.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
and why aren't people up in arms about car dealerships not being open on Sunday? where's the outrage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey