Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Time to get rid of this concept. One citizen should not tell another, using the police power of the state, when he can operate his business. Blue Laws are repugnant to freedom and liberty. They need to go.

Grassroots group wants Bergen County Blue Laws on November ballot | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Problem it seems is that the majority of tax paying citizens of Bergen County are in favor of Blue law...
It's their towns and county so if they want to keep the Blue Law alive and well so be it...

Why do you even care, you don't live in Bergen County.

Whose freedom and liberty???? The Paramus Mall or again the tax payers of the county that want some peace and quiet on Sundays??/
Anyone that desperately needs a mall on Sunday Willowbrook is only a short drive

Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Problem it seems is that the majority of tax paying citizens of Bergen County are in favor of Blue law...
It's their towns and county so if they want to keep the Blue Law alive and well so be it...

Why do you even care, you don't live in Bergen County.

Whose freedom and liberty???? The Paramus Mall or again the tax payers of the county that want some peace and quiet on Sundays??/
Anyone that desperately needs a mall on Sunday Willowbrook is only a short drive
I mean, isn't that the very definition of freedom and liberty? they get to live their lives in their county the way THEY want?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I mean, isn't that the very definition of freedom and liberty? they get to live their lives in their county the way THEY want?
EXACTLY..if the feelings have swayed toward doing away with Blue Law it will come out in the vote, the fairest way to decide it

Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Many times I agree with Marc but in this case I do not. I think local politics and decisions based on the desires of the local community should triumph over the dictate of a more centralized power. The article says in the past Governor Christie wanted to repeal the blue laws, or Loretta Weinberg. In this case, the grassroots organization is attempting to put the issue via signature and referendum on the November ballot, which is fine. However, if the residents of Bergen County vote down this law, and I highly suspect they will, that should be the end of the fight. The people have spoken, and it's time to move onto another issue.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM

328 posts, read 1,049,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

If you want to be open on Sundays, open your business elsewhere. I'm not getting what is so "repugnant" about the blue laws. If it's the will of the majority of the people, it will change.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
I think they should keep their blue laws. But I'm not a resident of Bergen County. If the voters wish to keep the laws, their decision should be respected.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,775 times
Aren't Blue Laws religious based, specifically the Christian religion? It would seem that they are unconstitutional. People can claim that it has nothing to do with religion anymore, but let someone suggest a Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, or a Friday, the Muslim day of worship, and watch all hell break loose. If you don't want to work on Sunday don't. People should be able to open their businesses if they choose, even on someone else's Sabbath.
There are so many other things wrong with this law. Its the only thing about Bergen County, my family who live there hate.
The people who want the law overturned have a better chance if they use the constitution as a driving force.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
I had a conversations with our state senator from Bergen about this a couple of years ago. Seems she sponsored a bill to remove the blue laws years ago because she thought that was what community wanted. Well there was such a negative vocal outpouring from her constituents that she never went forward with bill.
Maybe public opinion has changed but I would be surprised.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
Glad I left Bergen County, so I don't have to bad mouth Blue Laws every Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey