Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,021,879 times

Advertisements

Ask them for the full deposit plus the attorney fee or take them to court for trebble damages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM

55 posts, read 121,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Hopefully those photos are date-stamped.
If not, the LL could claim that your photos were taken prior to moving into the apartment.

Anyway...it sounds like you have a good case, and I am optimistic that you will prevail.

Yes I do have them date-stamped, I thought of the same thing. Thank you!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
WHat County? What are your legal fees so far? I ask because in Sussex County these cases are treated like a joke by the court and a cash cow for the lawyers. I would take the offer and be done with it. WHICH BTW is not what I would want to do in your case, just wonder if a few days off work and the stress is worth it. I can't imagine absolutly no damages other then normal wear and tear after 3 years but then again you could be the ideal tenant!
Legal fees are in the hundreds, security deposit is over 2,000. And yes, believe me, I had NO DAMAGE whatsoever to the house, yes I am the ideal tenant. No parties, no problems, responsible, clean, and pay my rent on time ALWAYS.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
I kind of agree with casper.

I assume that your attorney fees are in the hundreds somewhere, while your deposit was in the thousands. I’m not saying that the attorney fees are chump change, but I’m not sure that it would be worth all of the hassle of continuing to go after them. Think of all the emotional stress you still have to deal with because of the uncertainties.

I would ask your attorney to make a final offer of full deposit plus half of attorney fees, or it’s to the courts you go (if you choose to do so). Final offers in negotiations are very powerful.

Sometimes, it's not fair, but you just need to count your losses so you can focus on the next bigger and better chapter in your life.

Good luck.

Thank you, you make a good point. This has been really stressful, to have such lies and deceit from people that I had (at least I thought) a good relationship with.

I recently told my attorney to add in the interest (it won't amount to much) since it is required by NJ law and its even on my lease. Thats a good idea you had about half the attorney fee. If it is not too late, I may try that.

Thanks again.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Ask them for the full deposit plus the attorney fee or take them to court for trebble damages.

I'm not sure but I thought you could only get double the security deposit in NJ.

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate all the help.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I went through almost the exact same scenario on a house I rented in NJ back in the 90s. You don't mention how much the deposit was, but from your description it sounds like you could get double back since you did not get it within 30 days. However if your deposit was over 1500 you will thus be over the 3000 limit for small claims and you'll have to file in Superior court. They will send you to an arbitration session. In my case that occurred right there the same day and the arbitrator pushes really hard to get a settlement. This was in Passaic County, other counties may be different, and again it was almost 20 years ago so things may have changed. I think you need to consider if its worth the hassle for you to go back to NJ (assuming you're in FL) or just take the deposit and pay the lawyer. I hate landlords who act like security deposits are their money from day 1 and I'd be inclined to fight on principle but practicality has to come into play as well. In my case we reached a settlement in arbitration that basically made everybody break even but it's stuck in my craw for years that the slimy landlord didn't get his comeuppance. Good luck.
John, I think that is the part really stressing me out, that it will "stick in my craw" for years. And re small claims, it seems that you are right about the limits, but in NJ (I found out) the exception is security deposit, I think that is up to $5000.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
If you have a slam dunk case I say take them to court. I would also check to see if this is a one time occurrence or if they do this all the time. If you can find others who have been robbed you could go after them for punitive damages as well as legal fees.
I wish I COULD find out if they have done this before!

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I know in some states the LL can be on the hook for multiple times the security deposit if they don't follow the rules. If that is the case in NJ I would make that very clear to them. Then ask for the full deposit plus attorney fees.
Thanks so much, I appreciate the help!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:11 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlinFL View Post
Thanks so much, I appreciate the help!
I'm going to the same thing right now here in New Jersey. It's double damages if they did not send you a letter within 30 days Plus attorney fees.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:23 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
If you look back to October, you can read my story. It sucks when you're a good tenant with a crappy ll.

Unfortunately my former ll is an attorney and was just found to be liable for 65k in a crappy re deal where he was the attorney and the "corporate" seller and their was a lien on the property. It was a mess.

He's trying to say that he met with my husband and told him that he wasn't giving the security back due to damages. The meeting never happened. Neither did the damages. And he's saying he will counter sue me for frivolous claim.

I feel your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey