Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 AM

28 posts, read 73,243 times

Advertisements

One more place we are considering is Old Tappan bc the houses there look like the style I am looking for. For some reason I can't find very much info on OT online. All I know is the houses look pretty. What's the surrounding area like? Doesn't look like there's much as far as a town area, so where do people go for restaurants, shopping, kids activities? Any info on it would be great... THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 PM

24 posts, read 84,985 times
I live in the area!

1) One of the best towns in the state and area, near the city
2) Best schools, students perform above state standards and go to the best universities in the country. A lot of my friends went to Ivy League schools and the best state schools
3) Pretty diverse but a lot of white and asian people. Doesn't matter though because people are very tolerant of each other and are progressive
4) The town is pretty much houses, parks, schools, government buildings, etc. There's one plaza called Garden State Plaza where most people go to hang out and eat.
5) Most people travel to go shopping, eat at restaurants, and do kids' activities in the other surrounding towns--Northvale, Norwood, and Harrington Park. Along with OT, these towns make up the Northern Valley region.
6) OT is also near Northvale and Closter, which are the towns where most people do all of their shopping. They literally have everything...
7) Overall, OT is one of the best towns in the region and you definitely move here--Harrington Park may be better because it's mostly made up of houses and doesn't have the chaos of a commercial area. There are literally no stores in the town, but this isn't a problem because the other towns are so close.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:49 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
I grew up in OT, it's a very good town if you're looking for safe, quiet, picturesque suburbia. It's a lot of old farmland, my parent's house and all the surrounding blocks was all my great-grand parents farm at one time. In fact the town didn't even have any traffic lights when we first moved there in the late 80s. Bi-State Plaza is the shopping area of town, there's an A&P, CVS, your typical strip mall Starbucks, pizza shop, liquor store, chinese take-out, etc. as well as a few restaurants, and there are some other scattered restaurants along Tappan Rd. But you're within minutes of just about anything you'd need or want in other towns and just over the state line in NY. Also 15 minutes to the Palisades Center Mall in West Nyack, just avoid going on Sundays!

All that said it is a very affluent town for the most part, and there is a lot of keeping up with the joneses to deal with. It made high school not so fun for me since my family was one of the few non-rich ones, and my rickety old Jeep didn't fit in amongst the student parking lot of BMWs and Mercedes.

But if you can afford it, and you have a good head on your shoulders, it's a great town. And surprisingly the taxes aren't as insane as they could be.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 PM

232 posts, read 343,503 times
Affluent and safe town

Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj278 View Post
I live in the area!

3) Pretty diverse but a lot of white and asian people. Doesn't matter though because people are very tolerant of each other and are progressive
Diverse? Hardly!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:34 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Diverse? Hardly!
About a third of the town's residents are racial minorities and it is pretty ethnically diverse even within those larger groupings. Granted, it's a bit less diverse than the other northeastern Bergen County towns for the most part, but it hardly merits that response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey