Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,931 times

Advertisements

About a year ago my dentist of 25 yrs. retired and I continued with his replacement. Big mistake. I agreed to replace a 3 tooth bridge b/c the middle tooth was disintegrating after 15 years. The cost was $3000, split between my ins and myself. As soon as the new bridge was installed there was extreme soreness and pain. I went to my MD who prescribed antibiotics for a sinus infection. The same day I went back to the dentist who said the bridge was fine. He took no gum measurement or x-ray. The pain and soreness continued. I complained again to the dentist about 3 wks later. He said there was nothing he could do. About 3 wks later a large absess appeared on the side of my gum, returned to dentist and MD. The Md said I had an infection and to see my dentist. He said I had an infection and needed a root canal. I no longer trusted the dentist, so I went to my periodontist of 20 yrs in April. He said my gum pocket was 13mm, in November it was 4mm, measured by my dentist's hygienist, before the start of the bridge work and the tooth would have to pulled, root canal would not work. The tooth was pulled, the bridge resectioned by the perio and 1 month later another part of the bridge flew out of my mouth while flossing. My perio had to remove that last tooth's root. In order to get two implants it will take about 2 years, 4 surgeries and cost about $15000. All the lawyers I have called say this not a sueable case b/c it's not financially viable. I filed a complaint with the NJ State Dental Board and the only thing I can get back is the cost of the bridge, if I win. I am a retired school teacher on a very fixed budget and cannot afford this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
If you asked numerous lawyers and they all said the same thing (you don't have a case) are you then just venting or looking for other options? I'm sure surferguy26723 or stargazergal will have something different to say.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:12 PM

382 posts, read 804,071 times
That sucks.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:25 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Google dental malpractice lawyers in nj - Bing
AFAIK, in NJ, you have to pay another dentist to prepare a report, stating that your dentist committed malpractice, if you want to file a lawsuit. Or, you have so many days to submit the report to the court, after filing the lawsuit.
Does the dentist have insurance coverage? Perhaps you can make a claim, prior to filing a lawsuit.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I know this is not the point of the thread, but I have to point it out.

I find it quite funny that the verb GOOGLE is used, even though the search was performed by a different search engine.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaach View Post
All the lawyers I have called say this not a sueable case b/c it's not financially viable.
It's not finicianlly viable if the lawyer is working on contingency, which means the lawyer doesn't get paid unless you win your case. Anyone one can sue anyone else for any reason, however you have to foot the legal bills to do so, with no guarantee of a verdict in your favor. No lawyer to going to sue on contingency when there's no decent reward for them. Simply put it's going to cost way more than 15k to sue, just suck up the financial loss and move on.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,407 times
2 implants for 15k? What kind of dentist are you using ?!!?

Old 02-21-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I find it quite funny that the verb GOOGLE is used, even though the search was performed by a different search engine.
How hard did you laugh? If I typed 'Bing It', would the OP know what that meant?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Google dental malpractice lawyers in nj - Bing
AFAIK, in NJ, you have to pay another dentist to prepare a report, stating that your dentist committed malpractice, if you want to file a lawsuit. Or, you have so many days to submit the report to the court, after filing the lawsuit.
Does the dentist have insurance coverage? Perhaps you can make a claim, prior to filing a lawsuit.
Very hard to get any doctor to snitch on another. Most follow the the code of omertà!

Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Very hard to get any doctor to snitch on another. Most follow the the code of omertà!
Somehow, all those lawyers manage to get some dentist to provide those Affidavits of Merit!
Paraphrased from a website: "N.J.S.A. 2A:53A mandates that a plaintiff suing for damages stemming out of personal injuries as a result of malpractice or negligence by a "licensed person", provide the professional being sued with an affidavit from an appropriately licensed person (expert) within the field stating that there is a reasonable probability that the afforded treatment and care by the defendant, and/or the skill or knowledge exercised by the defendant, fell outside of the acceptable customs, standards and/or practices of the profession. In medical malpractice cases, the expert must be licensed to practice and have actively practiced within the field and/or sub-specialty"
I've seen ads on TV from these guys: http://www.njlawyers.com/dental-malpractice.html

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-21-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey