Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,013 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've never had to do this before, but I am moving into a 1-bedroom apartment and the complex doesn't offer parking. However, I definitely need a car and I'm worried about parking it in the streets (of Hackensack, NJ). I found a lot nearby managed privately. In order to avail for one of their spaces, they asked that we give them a spare key to the car in the event that they need to move it during "maintenance".

I was wondering if this is a typical demand? I've never rented a parking space before and didn't expect to hand over spare keys to any one.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 01:23 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,714 times
If it is a legit lot, I'd be fine with it.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Why can't you move it during "maintenance?" I don't have experience with lots, but wouldn't you be informed in advance of when they do this and where would your vehicle be moved in the event they do this maintenance?

Old 07-06-2013, 06:33 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Many lots 'Park' in cars, or park them in a line to get the most cars in the lot.

Most NYC lots when you pull in ask what time you will be departing and try to put your car in a place so it does not have to be moved 3 or 4x a day. (You Leave key with them also)

Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
^^^ That sounds like a reasonable request.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
If the OP does decide to leave his spare key with the folks who run the parking lot, he would be well advised to write down the odometer mileage each time that he parks the car in the lot.

If the car only has to be moved for, "maintenance", or--more likely--to fit more cars into the lot, the amount of added mileage would be truly minimal or not even noticeable. However, if the staff decides to use his car for their own errands/joyriding/other purposes, the additional number of miles would be obvious.

Don't rule out the possibility of parking lot employees driving your car for non-legitimate reasons, and don't forget the possibility of liability if they injure somebody while driving your car. Protect yourself by keeping a log of the odometer mileage, and at the first indication that your car has been driven--rather than just moved around the lot--find another venue for parking.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM

367 posts, read 960,170 times
The owner's request is perfectly understandable and reasonable. Supposing they want to seal coat the lot and restripe the stalls? Someone is away and unavailable for a protracted period. That flops up the whole job. BTDT in my younger years and it was a royal PITA to work around immovable vehicles. Their lot, their rules. Deal with it or tell it walking. If you're worried you can write down the mileage when you park and compare it to the mileage when you pick the car up.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If the OP does decide to leave his spare key with the folks who run the parking lot, he would be well advised to write down the odometer mileage each time that he parks the car in the lot.

If the car only has to be moved for, "maintenance", or--more likely--to fit more cars into the lot, the amount of added mileage would be truly minimal or not even noticeable. However, if the staff decides to use his car for their own errands/joyriding/other purposes, the additional number of miles would be obvious.

Don't rule out the possibility of parking lot employees driving your car for non-legitimate reasons, and don't forget the possibility of liability if they injure somebody while driving your car. Protect yourself by keeping a log of the odometer mileage, and at the first indication that your car has been driven--rather than just moved around the lot--find another venue for parking.

This is soooo silly....parking garages take keys to your car. That is just how it is. If you think they are going to joyride in your car, you have watched Ferris Bueler's Day Off too much.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:14 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
I don't know what kind of car you have but some have valet keys that will only open the door and start the car. They don't work on the trunk so you can leave anything valuable in there.

It is a completely normal and reasonable request to ask for a spare key. At any parking garage that offers hourly parking you would leave your key as others said so why would this be any different? As Retriever said watch the mileage to make sure everything is legit - I'm sure you will be fine.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,013 times
OP here,

Thanks for all your input. I had a feeling it was a reasonable request and yes, I did plan to keep track of the odometer mileage every time I dropped it off.

Also in regards to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Why can't you move it during "maintenance?" I don't have experience with lots, but wouldn't you be informed in advance of when they do this and where would your vehicle be moved in the event they do this maintenance?
They want the key in the event they need to move the car when I'm not around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: