Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,294 times

Advertisements

I am purchasing a home, and during inspection it was noticed the deck does not have footing underneath the posts going into the ground. The deck is wood, and there are 4 posts going into the ground. Anybody have any idea how much it would cost to add the footing? Or how much credit I should ask for? A very rough estimate is all I am looking for. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 05:35 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenmirage View Post
I am purchasing a home, and during inspection it was noticed the deck does not have footing underneath the posts going into the ground. The deck is wood, and there are 4 posts going into the ground. Anybody have any idea how much it would cost to add the footing? Or how much credit I should ask for? A very rough estimate is all I am looking for. Thanks!
In my town, footings have to be inspected by the building inspector before the deck can be built. Was the deck done without having the proper permits pulled from the construction department of your town? Was a permit even needed? This could add to the cost.

The construction department of the town of the house you're purchasing will be able to tell you what size the footings are supposed to be.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:10 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenmirage View Post
Did the inspector dig down where the post enters the ground. It's not uncommon for posts to be directly in the concrete footing (not the preferred way and maybe not even legal to do anymore) and then covered with soil. In my experience home inspectors will not move anything during an inspection. They will only report on what's visible, so the possibility of him getting under the deck and digging is probably minimal. You can check with the town to see if a permit was issued for the construction. If one wasn't issued it may delay the purchase of your home. I don't if that's 100% accurate and I'm sure others on the forum that are familiar with real estate can answer that. Without seeing the deck it would be hard to speculate how much it would cost for new footings. I've built quite a few decks and porches that required footings and it's not really a big deal to dig 4. if that needs to be done, it will have to have some temporary supports installed before removing the existing posts. The issue you would have is probably getting a contractor to do a small job like that without charging you a fortune. Perhaps you should look in the local paper and see if there are any handyman types that would be interested in a job like that. Just curious, how big is the deck? Good luck to you.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
400 to 750 bucks I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey