Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 16,282 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been married for a month and are looking to move out of NYC.
I love the town of Ridgewood, but realize that you can get a newer and bigger home in Westwood.
Although we do not plan on having children for a few years, everyone keeps telling me that the schools in Ridgewood far exceed those in Westwood.
I also understand that there is concern over the hospital expansion in Ridgewood and the effects it will have on the town.
I am trying to research both towns as much as possible before we spend a lot of money and have high property taxes!
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 04:42 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgirl16 View Post
My husband and I have been married for a month and are looking to move out of NYC.
I love the town of Ridgewood, but realize that you can get a newer and bigger home in Westwood.
Although we do not plan on having children for a few years, everyone keeps telling me that the schools in Ridgewood far exceed those in Westwood.
I also understand that there is concern over the hospital expansion in Ridgewood and the effects it will have on the town.
I am trying to research both towns as much as possible before we spend a lot of money and have high property taxes!
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Oh, boy another Westwood or Ridgewood question Go to "search" and type "westwood ridgewood" and you'll get several threads (very recent) that deal with this specific topic. You'll get most of the answers there.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
In leiu of Ridgewood would you consider neighboring Glen Rock and in leiu of Westwood would you considering neighboring Emerson or Hillsdale. High taxes are par for the course in (these parts of) Bergen County.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 PM

217 posts, read 1,146,785 times
Both rich towns with good schools. It wouldnt be a mistake to put your kid in either school.
I'd say whatever has the better deal is the better deal... Because one isnt a whole lot better from the other. They are very simaler.

Have you tried Park Ridge. Thats a nice area.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:19 PM

195 posts, read 648,391 times
Ridgewood has many restaurants

Old 07-03-2008, 05:37 AM

75 posts, read 300,886 times
Quote:
Both rich towns with good schools. It wouldnt be a mistake to put your kid in either school.
I'd say whatever has the better deal is the better deal... Because one isnt a whole lot better from the other. They are very simaler.
Not exactly true.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:41 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Default TWP of WASHINGTON

I grew up there....great town! Great people. My Mom is still in the same home 50 years later. I moved to Florida 3 years ago and miss it there! It is a quiet safe town and even has a nice lake. As a kid I used to skate on it in the winter months and use it as a shortcut to get to the shopping center. Great town and great schools! Plus it is right next to Ridgewood, across Rt. 17
Ridgewood was my hangout in my teen years, another great town. There is a nice park in the middle of the town! $$$$ place to live! The town is also loaded with places to eat! Nice to live in a neighboring town and visit Ridgewood on the weekends! There is a Welsh Farms Ice Cream place if you can find it....they are only open during the summer months I think....they have the best homemade cantelope and cococut home made icecream!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:48 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
There is a Welsh Farms Ice Cream place if you can find it....they are only open during the summer months I think....they have the best homemade cantelope and cococut home made icecream!
It's Van Dyk's now, which is its' original name. The current owners bought it from Welsh Farms years ago. It's homemade again (it wasn't homemade when Welsh owned it). And it's open all year, except for a couple of months in the winter.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 PM

123 posts, read 568,218 times
Both towns are great safe towns. Westwood is awesome and the taxes are not astronomical when compared to Ridgewood, but the schools are also not as great, though they are nothing to turn your nose at. I would definitely go with Westwood at this point because it has the same feel as Ridgewood for a lower price.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 PM

123 posts, read 568,218 times
Oh and definitely not Washington Twp because it has no nice downtown area-just a strip mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey