Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,767 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a new position in the NYC-North Jersey region, and have less than a month to relocate.

What is a good apartment/location for a young family relocating from Tampa, Florida to North New Jersey? Our ideal location embodies the following characteristics:

1. 2 bed / 2 bath (allows small dogs)
2. Price range: $2000-$2500
3. Easy access to commute to two office locations:

50 W. 23rd Street
New York, NY 10010

and

1200 MacArthur Boulevard
Mahwah, NJ 07430

3. Family-friendly location (i.e. low crime, good schools, access to lots of recreation)

I do not know much about the North Jersey area, and any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:02 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busupshot83 View Post
I recently accepted a new position in the NYC-North Jersey region, and have less than a month to relocate.

What is a good apartment/location for a young family relocating from Tampa, Florida to North New Jersey? Our ideal location embodies the following characteristics:

1. 2 bed / 2 bath (allows small dogs)
2. Price range: $2000-$2500
3. Easy access to commute to two office locations:

50 W. 23rd Street
New York, NY 10010

and

1200 MacArthur Boulevard
Mahwah, NJ 07430

3. Family-friendly location (i.e. low crime, good schools, access to lots of recreation)

I do not know much about the North Jersey area, and any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

You want to be in Bergen County somewhere to have access to Mahwah and midtown NY. Not sure if your rent range is realistic, but towns that might work for you are Hawthorne, Oakland, Westwood. More expensive towns would be Ridgewood, Allendale, Wykoff. I am sure others can provide a more complete list.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:19 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Hawthorne's good because it has a train station. Rutherford would be good, too. Closer to NY, but the drive to Mahwah would be OK because the traffic is mostly going in the other direction. Oakland is kind of long for the NYC commute, but it can be done.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,767 times
Thanks for the information.

I've read that South Orange and Montclair both have trains that go directly to NYC, and travelers do not have to change trains. What other cities in the area have buses/trains that go directly to NYC without having to change rides?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:12 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busupshot83 View Post
Thanks for the information.

I've read that South Orange and Montclair both have trains that go directly to NYC, and travelers do not have to change trains. What other cities in the area have buses/trains that go directly to NYC without having to change rides?
Most areas have buses that go directly to Manhattan, either to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 40th Street and Eighth Avenue or to the Wall Street area. Your best bet for the towns with trains that go directly to NYC would be to look at the train lines on the NJTransit.com website. However, since you are talking about Mahwah as a commute for one of you, which is on the northern end of the state bordering Rockland County, NY, some of us were suggesting towns along the Bergen or Main Lines, which run through that area, since it would make the driver's commute easier.

I worked on 23rd Street for years, taking the train from Ridgewood on those lines. The train went to Hoboken, where I switched to PATH, which goes to 23rd. It was not a big deal to transfer to PATH. A train from Montclair to Penn Station at 34th Street would also require either a walk or another train ride to 23rd, but the drive from Montclair to Mahwah would be a little complicated and definitely indirect.

These are choices you'll have to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey