Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,785 times

Advertisements

I plan to move in January/February to be closer to my job, I like the neighborhood and was wondering if it is possible to find a 1br for 1400 bucks(could prob go up to 1550). Are there one bedrooms in that price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 04:40 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
It's possible. The going rate for an average 1-bedroom in Hamilton Park seems to be about $1750-1900 these days. I occasionally see listings on craigslist in the $1500 range. Just expect that you won't have in-unit (or in building) laundry, air conditioning, elevator, parking, or stainless steel appliances. If you're ok with that, you'll likely find something.

If you want a nicer unit for that price, I'd suggest looking in Journal Square or the Heights. I'm seeing a lot of 1-bedrooms in the $1400-1500 range that appear to be very nice units.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It's possible. The going rate for an average 1-bedroom in Hamilton Park seems to be about $1750-1900 these days. I occasionally see listings on craigslist in the $1500 range. Just expect that you won't have in-unit (or in building) laundry, air conditioning, elevator, parking, or stainless steel appliances. If you're ok with that, you'll likely find something.

If you want a nicer unit for that price, I'd suggest looking in Journal Square or the Heights. I'm seeing a lot of 1-bedrooms in the $1400-1500 range that appear to be very nice units.
Yea, based on my brief Craigslist search I think you are right.

I will have to look into Journal Square. Is the neighborhood safe?
Also, is the heights close to the path(commuting to midtown)? Is the area nice?

I think it may come down to Journal Square, Harrison or Ironbound because it seems like I can't really afford Downtown JC...

Old 09-06-2013, 07:50 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Journal Square is not nearly as pretty of a neighborhood as Hamilton Park (in fact parts of it are quite grimy), but I've never found it to feel unsafe, even at night. It doesn't have the fancy restaurants and busy bars downtown JC has. More $1/slice pizza joints and chicken joints.

The Heights is north of Journal Square. Parts of the Heights are walkable to JSQ PATH. But most of the neighborhood you'd be better off taking a bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal. Light rail to Hoboken (and connect to PATH) is an option too. The Heights is probably similar to JSQ in terms of apartment rental prices right now, and I like the Heights more than JSQ as it's a little quieter, more trees, etc. But getting to Midtown is a bit lengthier than from JSQ.

I've been hearing more buzz about Harrison lately than in the past. Apart from the new rental building right next to the station, I don't know much about what's available to rent there. Other city-data contributors might have more to say about Harrison and the Ironbound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey