Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Although it isn;t small town by any means( in fact there is no central downtown at all and it's one of the largest "towns" in NJ by both population and area) I would definitely say Wayne.

This place in Packanack Lake seems to check a lot of your boxes. Packanack Lake is a community within Wayne it is pretty tight knit, has an awesome elementary school, easy access to NYC( commute would be about 1 hour and 15 minutes door to door) and tons of activities.

48 Lake Trl East, Wayne, NJ 07470 (MLS# 3074757) - Wayne NJ Real Estate - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

I'd be extremely cautious about purchasing a home in the Packanak Lake area as the area is known to experience frequent severe flooding. I believe the home you cited is located within the flood zone, from looking at the FEMA flood maps, http://www.ready.nj.gov/pdf/mitigati...xi_passaic.pdf

Also the OP should keep in mind when looking at homes in Packanak Lake remember that the area is also governed by a HOA, and so you'll also have to deal with annual association fees as well as their rules and regulations. (not to forget the cost of flood insurance, if as it appears it is located within the flood zone. You may also have difficulty in obtaining a mortgage if it is within the flood zone)

KoalaNJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 PM

19 posts, read 75,417 times
You all are so helpful! Thank you! :-)

Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Although it isn;t small town by any means( in fact there is no central downtown at all and it's one of the largest "towns" in NJ by both population and area) I would definitely say Wayne.

This place in Packanack Lake seems to check a lot of your boxes. Packanack Lake is a community within Wayne it is pretty tight knit, has an awesome elementary school, easy access to NYC( commute would be about 1 hour and 15 minutes door to door) and tons of activities.

48 Lake Trl East, Wayne, NJ 07470 (MLS# 3074757) - Wayne NJ Real Estate - ColdwellBankerMoves.com
I recommend Packanack Lake. I have two married nieces that have lived there for over 14 years with their families, that include 4 children, and they love it. Many activities for the children and the elementary school within PL is very good. To join the lake, you do have to pay a yearly fee.....I think it's around $400. Good luck with your hunt.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I'd be extremely cautious about purchasing a home in the Packanak Lake area as the area is known to experience frequent severe flooding. I believe the home you cited is located within the flood zone, from looking at the FEMA flood maps, http://www.ready.nj.gov/pdf/mitigati...xi_passaic.pdf

Also the OP should keep in mind when looking at homes in Packanak Lake remember that the area is also governed by a HOA, and so you'll also have to deal with annual association fees as well as their rules and regulations. (not to forget the cost of flood insurance, if as it appears it is located within the flood zone. You may also have difficulty in obtaining a mortgage if it is within the flood zone)

KoalaNJ
I would think the flood area is for the houses right on the lake, or nearby. My nieces do not live on the lake, and they did not have any flooding with Superstorm Sandy.
You do not have to join the association.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
I would think the flood area is for the houses right on the lake, or nearby. My nieces do not live on the lake, and they did not have any flooding with Superstorm Sandy.
You do not have to join the association.
If you look at the flood zone maps I gave the link for, you will see that the flood plane extends for quite a distance from the southern end of the lake. While Sandy did not cause extensive flooding in the area, the area has flooded badly 5 or 6 times since Floyd in 1999 (and quite a few times prior to Floyd, unfortunately with the gov. shutdown I am unable to access the websites for details/specifics on the exact number of flooding incidents, and am instead going on my memory.)

KoalaNJ

Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
If you look at the flood zone maps I gave the link for, you will see that the flood plane extends for quite a distance from the southern end of the lake. While Sandy did not cause extensive flooding in the area, the area has flooded badly 5 or 6 times since Floyd in 1999 (and quite a few times prior to Floyd, unfortunately with the gov. shutdown I am unable to access the websites for details/specifics on the exact number of flooding incidents, and am instead going on my memory.)

KoalaNJ
I'll take your word for it, darn government! I guess when any area gets 8-10 inches of rain, there will be flooding.
I do remember the clubhouse flooding, but that is on the lake.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
It's been my experience that most flood concerns about Wayne are drastically overblown to say the least, but hey better safe than sorry and to be clear the OP is talking about renting not buying so there would be no concern about mortgage.

I still recommend Packanack lake without hesitation. As Koala pointed out if you want to be cautious stick to the areas away from directly south of the lake.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammiis5 View Post
Move to Bergen County... I recommend Mahwah, Oakland, Ridgewood, Paramus, Tenafly and most other towns.

Northern Bergen County has mountain view so you may check it out.

Bergen County is the best county in NJ and among the wealthiest and greatest.
I moved from Long Island to here few years ago and love it!

Cheaper and full service gas, great schools, no tax on shoes and clothes, hillier roads, mountain view. However, Bergen County has blue laws keep that in mind.
omg. my fellow posters...lookee here.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
omg. my fellow posters...lookee here.
Yup, seems likely.....

Old 10-07-2013, 08:35 AM

19 posts, read 75,417 times
Huh...I was all set to respond to the post about Bergen County, but looks like it's been deleted. No matter, but if anyone needs any more of an impression of what I am trying to get away from by leaving Long Island, that would be it.

Searching another forum, someone mentioned Metuchen as a nice little town to raise kids. Any thoughts on Metuchen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey