Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times

Advertisements

I don't really remember what the reasons were. I know Christie probably didn't want to appear too buddy buddy with Obama...but he has done quite a bit of pal'n around with Obama and it doesn't seem to have hurt him. It certainly hasn't hurt him in NJ. With > 8m people in our state, it seems a bit irresponsible for us to have thrown our population to the fed gov. Just curious - i know this will go off the rails quickly....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,181 times
Wasn't it because he didn't want the state of NJ to have to deal with the expense of maintaining the exchange? If I remember correctly, his attitude was "the feds made the law, let them deal with it."

If I'm wrong please correct me.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Wasn't it because he didn't want the state of NJ to have to deal with the expense of maintaining the exchange? If I remember correctly, his attitude was "the feds made the law, let them deal with it."

If I'm wrong please correct me.
that could be it. to which I would ask....what's the expense for state's who did choose to do it on their own? (it's also kinda ironic that a republican governor would think 50 states each maintaining their own exchanges would be more expensive than the fed gov't doing it, thus, concludes that the fed gov't should do it )

Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I don't really remember what the reasons were. I know Christie probably didn't want to appear too buddy buddy with Obama...but he has done quite a bit of pal'n around with Obama and it doesn't seem to have hurt him. It certainly hasn't hurt him in NJ. With > 8m people in our state, it seems a bit irresponsible for us to have thrown our population to the fed gov. Just curious - i know this will go off the rails quickly....
NJ needs it's own exchange. It's in it's financial interest. It was a stupid decision by Governor Christie.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Christie's veto on the exchange has had a big ripple effect: http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/1...l-go-smoothly/

Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,270 times
I think it was a very smart decision that Christie made both politically and fiscally. Nj got the shaft from the government in terms of aid for funding and the costs are huge for setting up the exchange, administering the exchange, and advertising the exchange. States have spent 10's of millions of dollars on this. As Christie stated, it's a Federal Program let them deal with the costs, headaches, and everything else that goes along with it.

Have you looked at the plans and network of doctors that are available in these exchange plans? I was looking into Platinum plans in NY and they are a joke compared to what is available in the private group marketplace, sure they are a little cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 AM

Similar silver plans: NY $420 and NJ $720.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I think it was a very smart decision that Christie made both politically and fiscally. Nj got the shaft from the government in terms of aid for funding and the costs are huge for setting up the exchange, administering the exchange, and advertising the exchange. States have spent 10's of millions of dollars on this. As Christie stated, it's a Federal Program let them deal with the costs, headaches, and everything else that goes along with it.

Have you looked at the plans and network of doctors that are available in these exchange plans? I was looking into Platinum plans in NY and they are a joke compared to what is available in the private group marketplace, sure they are a little cheaper but you get what you pay for.
I'm just curious if you have an actual state's figures for cost of setting up and administering the exchange? I mean, we've had the "stronger than the storm" ad campaign. we waste a lot of money on "if you see something say something" campaigns. so i don't know that we're in the best position to complain about the cost of advertising something...but fair enough. So how expensive would it have been?

and it really depends on what you're comparing. i have "good" insurance through my company, but I'm constantly surprised at how limited my options are for doctors.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:27 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I'm just curious if you have an actual state's figures for cost of setting up and administering the exchange? I mean, we've had the "stronger than the storm" ad campaign. we waste a lot of money on "if you see something say something" campaigns. so i don't know that we're in the best position to complain about the cost of advertising something...but fair enough. So how expensive would it have been?

and it really depends on what you're comparing. i have "good" insurance through my company, but I'm constantly surprised at how limited my options are for doctors.
The ultra conservative The Weekly Standard estimated $5 Billion for setup/administration of all exchanges. Let's cut that by $4 billion(because let's face it, it's the weekly standard and their analysis was done by a right wing think tank). Still it's not hard to imagine the admin and set up for a nationwide program like this would be $1B , right? Divide that evenly by 50 and you get $20,000,000. I'm not trying to pass this off as the actual cost, just a realistic, plausible possibility.

As far as insurance goes I define "good insurance" as access to care, not only how much a plan covers. I think that is the mistake that most employers make when providing coverage to employees. They offer plans with low deductibles/out of pocket expenses(which studies show is what matters most to employees) and manage plan costs to them by choosing smaller networks or even worse HMOs. This is really shortsighted since the only reason to have insurance is that when the ***** hits the fan you have access to the best care possible without going bankrupt. My insurance is fantastic, something like 90+% of doctors in the tri-state areas are in it and every hospital. It costs $2400/month for a family of 4 and $750/month for single coverage. I have 15 employees and cover 85% of the cost regardless of coverage level. Could I save a few bucks by limiting the plan or contributing less? absolutely. Could I sleep at night if I did? not so much. Even with all that said I think this mandate is a terrible idea and will turn out to be a train wreck. I could be wrong...it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 10-08-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM

334 posts, read 716,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
NJ needs it's own exchange. It's in it's financial interest. It was a stupid decision by Governor Christie.
Assuming you have some sort of rational explanation for this spew, kindly elaborate if you can compose a coherent reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey