Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM

168 posts, read 417,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
We need to know where you live to offer any suggestions. But I think you should consider transferring her to a school with a more advanced curriculum.

My third grader scored in the 98th percentile in standardized tests. I have him in a top-rated regular school. Almost all his classmates scored in the 90th percentile or higher.
What is your town? I thought public schools follow the same curriculum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i went to a local catholic school in PA growing up. i was bored and got into trouble a lot in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade because the classes were not challenging. i think homeschooling is a bad option, and i'm not saying there are not more challenging schools out there, as I'm sure there are....but I went to a private "prep school" for high school that you had to test into.

what i'm saying is...it's grade school. chillax a bit,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
public school is easy because they have to dumb it down for the least common denominator. but i would think its best to let your kid enjoy getting easy A's through school and try to add on hobbies and extra curricular stuff.

school is boring for every kid, you aren't going to make it interesting by making it more difficult. but it may be an opportunity to spend more time on other enriching activities.

I agree. OP, your kid is very young. I never thought it necessary for children in elementary school to be in private school unless public schools in the area are subpar. This is just my opinion, of course. Middle school and high school, specially high school, are different stories though. I'd wait until your child is older to worry about private schools for smarter kids. I like the extracurricular hobbies/sports idea.

I think children that young shouldn't worry about being overly challenged yet. I always excelled in elementary school. I never had trouble reading, writing, spelling, I struggled a bit with math but overall to be honest I'd say I was a smarter than my classmates. I watched most kids struggle with reading and spelling while it came so naturally to me. But my parents kept me in public school all my life, and at that point just let me be a kid no matter how smart I was.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
What is your town? I thought public schools follow the same curriculum.
Mendham

The Common Core allows for some variations in different districts, as long as the basics of the core curriculum are followed.

Last edited by Sage 80; 10-16-2013 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
If the 97% is representative in the long term and not a statistical fluke, she isn't going to be adequately challenged, and that's not really avoidable. Look to be in the best feasible district/school and apply to regional magnet schools and programs as she ages into them.

If you're renting, consider moving to a town with a solid public school system. A lot of the public schools (at least in Bergen County which I'm most familiar with) are stronger than the Catholic ones and the money you aren't spending on tuition should cover the marginal increase in housing cost. As to what specific town, no one here can give good advice without knowing even what part of the state you're in -- sure people can name the best districts in the state (Millburn, Tenafly, West Windsor, Princeton, etc.) but that isn't terribly useful if none of them are near where you want to live.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Mendham

The Common Core allows for some variations in different districts, as long as the basics of the core curriculum are followed.
I find it odd the administration would share other children's scores with you.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I find it odd the administration would share other children's scores with you.
Particular children's scores are not revealed, but the range was posted online.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM

56 posts, read 113,171 times
The only tests that matter are national tests like OLSAT, CogAT, Stanford Benet, Wechler, etc. Get your child to a child psychologist and test for IQ and OLSAT/CogAT and you'll know what you have. Based on those test scores, you can decide where to go - private or public.

State tests are meaningless. Catholic schools are grade inflationary.

There are lots of magnet schools down the line like Bergen County Academies, High Technology, etc. All of those kids test 130 and above on a standard IQ test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey