Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:12 PM

22 posts, read 113,497 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Does any one have any knowledge on Fords NJ, 08863.
We are looking @ new houses in that area.
The house we liked on the net is in a new development.
11 house are being put up, its called Liberty estates.

Any thoughts on the area in general, and accesses to train stations..

Would you live there??

Thanx for ur time…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 04:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
I live in Iselin (the next town over from Fords, both are parts of Woodbridge Township). I checked out the listings on realtor.com, and it looks like Liberty Estates starts at around $529k.

That being said, neither Iselin or Fords is a town that has anything worth $500k IMO. Fords is a working-class town with mediocre schools (my mother was chief clerk at Fords Middle School for 10 years- she retired last year, thankfully). Overall it's pretty safe, but for that kind of money, you could definitely find a house in a better town- maybe it won't be brand new, but I'd still consider other areas. So, to answer your question, I'd live there, but not if I had over $500k to spend on a home.

For trains, you could go to either the Metropark station in Iselin or the Woodbridge station in downtown Woodbridge. Parking at the Woodbridge station is next to impossible, so Metropark is the better bet- they have two large parking decks, and a monthly parking pass is $65.

Bob

Old 05-06-2007, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 12,526 times
Default Fords Nj is Excellent Area!

Hey Bob,

I think you are confused I live in fords NJ @ 86 ford ave . You were misinformed homes in Fords Do Not Start at 500,000 its more like 300,000 and ....

its one of the safest places in woodbridge and if you check Woodbridge Its one of the safest townships In the state Of NJ. Fords has excellent school systems and is close to all major roads in NJ......

Like Parkway, Turnpike Rt.1 ,287 and 440 . It is also close to Metuchen and Woodbridge Nj Transit Trains And BusesTo NY!! I have lived here 10 yrs and wouldnt trade it for the world, I have 3 kids in the township schools.

Last edited by Global Friend; 05-06-2007 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: no advertising please

Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInfoNj View Post
Hey Bob,

I think you are confused I live in fords NJ @ 86 ford ave . You were misinformed homes in Fords Do Not Start at 500,000 its more like 300,000 and ....

its one of the safest places in woodbridge and if you check Woodbridge Its one of the safest townships In the state Of NJ. Fords has excellent school systems and is close to all major roads in NJ......

Like Parkway, Turnpike Rt.1 ,287 and 440 . It is also close to Metuchen and Woodbridge Nj Transit Trains And BusesTo NY!! I have lived here 10 yrs and wouldnt trade it for the world, I have 3 kids in the township schools.
Re-read the original post. She was looking at new homes at Liberty Estates, which are listed at $529,000 and up. My point was, that Woodbridge Township is an excellent value for homes in the $300k range, but I would never pay $500k+ to live there- there's plenty of better choices in that price range.

I live in Iselin myself, so I've very familiar with what Woodbridge Township has to offer- I just wouldn't pay $500k for it.

Bob

Old 11-01-2009, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 9,422 times
Default Fords Houses and Living Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I live in Iselin (the next town over from Fords, both are parts of Woodbridge Township). I checked out the listings on realtor.com, and it looks like Liberty Estates starts at around $529k.

That being said, neither Iselin or Fords is a town that has anything worth $500k IMO. Fords is a working-class town with mediocre schools (my mother was chief clerk at Fords Middle School for 10 years- she retired last year, thankfully). Overall it's pretty safe, but for that kind of money, you could definitely find a house in a better town- maybe it won't be brand new, but I'd still consider other areas. So, to answer your question, I'd live there, but not if I had over $500k to spend on a home.

For trains, you could go to either the Metropark station in Iselin or the Woodbridge station in downtown Woodbridge. Parking at the Woodbridge station is next to impossible, so Metropark is the better bet- they have two large parking decks, and a monthly parking pass is $65.

Bob
I completely agree with Bob regarding the home value and living standard in Fords. My sister lives in Fords for last 7 years. She had bought her house very cheap even when the market was high. This town has mostly low value homes so the overall price for every home is low. So it is not worth paying more than $4.5K even for a new house. It is a good town for economic living standards but I wouldn't spend a lot to buy a house in this town. If I had to spend $5K even in a recently built house, It is not worth it since you can buy a decent house for the same value in decent towns. The problem with paying more money in this town is that the value of the houses will not go up as compared to another nearby towns.

Derek

Old 11-01-2009, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,411 times
Hi, I am looking at new homes at liberty estates in Fords. Does anyone have more information regarding those homes? It seems like a nice small community but I am not sure if the prices of those homes are worth paying. The asking prices for base homes are $5K and up even though they are by the cemetery. My Realtor told me that the value of those houses went drastically down in last couple of years. I did check the prices on Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Real Estate Values - Zillow and it seems that way too. However, I would like to get more information regarding the real value in that area. I looked around and most of the homes in that area are of low value. City data website shows that schools are good and town is safe overall to live. However, property taxes compared to same type of towns are little high. If you had to spend $550K or more to live in those houses would you buy one of those. Please put your comments and thanks for your time in advance.

Sharon..

Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default fords

I grew up a few blocks away from Liberty st and New brunswick ave and my mom lived there until last year. That is the nice area of Fords. Those homes overlook the cemetery and are situated on the old Liberty trucking co property. Heard the selling price and had to shake my head. Were supposed to be going for much more than 500k.

That area is made up of neat older homes that often go for less than 300K. Metuchen train station down NB ave about 5 or so miles, Amboy train station on smith st 5 minutes away, Iselin metropark about 10 minutes up rt 9, ferry to Manhattan, 20 min from Newark airport. Bus route on the corner. A block from the bank on crowmill rd and NB ave. Access to the parkway. turnpike, 287, rts 9, 1, 35 are within a mile. The neighborhood is old and settled. Main st which Woodbridge is revitalizing, has a wide variety of stores. RU, Middlesex co col, Keane college is within 30 minutes. Sandy hook is 35 minutes. Hoboken ferry withing 40 minutes. Ferry to NYC avaulable 5 minutes away in South Amboy as well as a train station. Walk to the drug store, pathmark, post office, all within half a mile. I can be on the RU ag school campus in 13 minutes on good days. Hate to say it but Woodbridge center and menlo park shopping center is only 10 minutes away.

Best location in NJ for convenience and neighborhood strolls and a main st. Landlocked in Colonia. Adams lane in brunswick is nice but commuter traffic on rt 1 is a bear. Roosevelt park, Sewarn park, Fords park, waterfront promenade in south amboy, Edison park at Middlesex co coll full of deer and groundhogs.

500K homes overlooking the cemetery is a head scratcher. May even be able to see the parkway.

As older homes get torn down in settled neighborhoods as on beech st, woodland ave and beautiful homes put up, the taxes are in the 15K vivinity for those shiny palaces. Consider someone mentioned Corzine pays 30k on a 3 mill $ home.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,880 times
If I move to fords what high school would my child attend? I have not been able to find out anything about the high schools out there. Also are all the kids bused to school?

Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default JFK, Worth st off Green st or Woodbridge on rt 35.

Either JFK in Iselin or Woodbridge high. Some went to Kennedy and later the same area students were sent to Woodbridge.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 AM

31 posts, read 93,949 times
Any opinions on Woodbridge High vs JFK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey