Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,521 times

Advertisements

I got a traffic ticket in central jersey. The right line was backed up and I have to take left turn. I drove approximately 200 yards on pass line and then came to the intersection to take left turn. I drove on pass line around 10-15 miles/hr. The charges are 39:4-124 - Improper turn as indicated by buttons or market at. It is a 3 point ticket. This is my first ticket in 8 years driving. I greatly appreciate your advise.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
What's the question? You violated the law, even if it's in a manner that many people violate it in.

If you decide to try to fight it they might knock it down. If they don't knock it down, you'll certainly lose unless you get lucky with some kind of technicality like the cop not showing up, as there isn't much room for debate here.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Pretty much two choices. Either just pay it or try and get a plea down to something like dangerous driving. No points, but it will cost you about $500.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
You should walk in plead not guilty and see what the best deal they offer you is. It will probably be the cash register special, "unsafe driving" zero points and about $485 or you can just pay the ticket and maybe your insurance might go up for about 3 years. They might give you a better deal, but not usually, unless you have some other "trick" up your sleeve, know somebody, luck out, etc.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:28 AM

208 posts, read 468,656 times
When I made an illegal left turn - I hired a lawyer. You will get a ton of advertisements in the mail. I called a few and found one that I thought was decent over the phone and was approximately $250 and they had an obstructing traffic which was $89 and no points (I got a different lawyer from the one I was on the phone with).

Do NOT hire one and then let them give you the "unsafe" driving. You can do that without a lawyer. If you do get a lawyer, you will be one of the first ones out of the court house. It's costly but saved me time which I had to take out of work (daytime court date).

The other alternative is to try to negotiate it yourself - which just take more time. They will most likely be able to plead you down to maybe that unsafe driving on your own. It may make your insurance go up. I've plead that on my own years ago and when I tried to change insurance companies, they saw that on my record and didn't like it so my premium was higher than the current insurance company's.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:14 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
It's an $81 summons plus some court costs. . What do you think they are going to drop it down to? Unless you have a viable defense and can get a Not guilty findings, hiring a lawyer is a waste of money.

So is getting to amended to a no point violation and paying five times the amount.

If this is your first summons, your rates will not be affected and you can take an online driving course to get a point reduction.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:05 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
If you got a lawyer and they could get it knocked down to obstructing traffic that would be a good deal since those violations basically don't even show up anywhere, but that is 2 "IF" s.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:18 PM

880 posts, read 1,251,966 times
Don't get a lawyer. Just show up to court. There's a very good chance that before you get to the judge, they will offer you to plead to a lesser charge. You will pay same money + cout fees, but you will get less or no points. Always worked for me and everyone I knew - as long as you play nice when you get there.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:12 PM

155 posts, read 556,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbury2007 View Post
I got a traffic ticket in central jersey. The right line was backed up and I have to take left turn. I drove approximately 200 yards on pass line and then came to the intersection to take left turn. I drove on pass line around 10-15 miles/hr. The charges are 39:4-124 - Improper turn as indicated by buttons or market at. It is a 3 point ticket. This is my first ticket in 8 years driving. I greatly appreciate your advise.
Thank you
go to the court and they will reduce all (3) you points or at least 2 points. But you need to pay more fine for it.
2 of my friend got the same issue and one (invalid u turn) got reduced from 3 to 0 and other one (speeding) got reduced from 4 to 2.

if the judge reduce only 2 points then you can take some online class like defensive driving and reduce that point too.

good luck

Old 11-01-2013, 03:57 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
I don't know where you are getting these ideas from but they are BS. Each municipal court is different. staffed by Prosecutors and Judges who set their own guidelines. The only option for a three point summons that is this minor is a Unsafe Driving. What hasn't been said is this fact. The clear downside of the no-points approach is the elevated expense; in addition to statutory fines and court costs, the motorist who pleads guilty to this offense must pay a state-mandatory surcharge of $250.

Unless you are in jeopardy of losing your license, it's an idiotic way to go. Depending on the Prosecutor, he may or may no accept such a plea. They are under no mandate to do so. If you chose to go that route, don't waste your time on a lawyer. simply try and get a word in with the Prosecutor before court starts. Don't expect him to discuss it once the session starts so arrive early.

Allstate insurance points system allows for one accident to be forgiven, which can be a real big saver in points. This is the same for many companies. State Farm insurance points system, Geico insurance points system or any other insurance point system will allow for some of these forgiving times.

This explains some of the details.
Got a Traffic Ticket? The Bump to Your Car Insurance May Not Be So Bad - DailyFinance

This attorney explains is clearly.
If I get a ticket in NJ that carries points, should I plea to Unsafe Operation (a no point ticket)? | Richardson Law Offices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: