Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,642 times

Advertisements

feedback appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
feedback appreciated
Moravian is a cute little college.

Muhlenberg still seems to have a better pre-med program than Moravian.

M-berg used to be in the top 10% of pre-med programs (20 years ago) before it went all sorts of artsy-fartsy and this why I won't donate a dime to my alma mater.

If you can stand the theater children who have taken over the school, the 'berg still seems to have a lot more connections as far as pre-med goes (if you survive the weeding out pre-med frosh classes) than Moravian.

RU/Penn State and many other colleges offer the same pre-med programs. And much less expensive.

The only thing that ends up truly mattering is your grades IN class (and labs) as well as your MCAT scores. Alumni connections only help if alums want to help. Maybe try to get in to a college that is linked directly to a medical school.

At the end of the day the most useless med student who graduates is still called "Doctor".

Old 11-13-2013, 04:41 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,642 times
Default Mulenberg......Where is it and my child wants to go to a smaller school...What schools are linked up with hospitals...

such a new experience for us.......My child wants to go to a smaller school.......child is smart and very dedicated to studies......Not a genius but works hard at studies and it reflects.......Very serious about med school.....has been their goal since we can remember........what school suggestions are linked up to hospitals.......

Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 AM

30 posts, read 71,821 times
I believe Siena College, just outside Albany, has an agreement with Albany Medical College. If accepted into their program, you get the Bachelor's from Siena and then move directly on to the medical school. Both of my kids visited and loved Siena. However, Siena didn't have the major that one child wanted and it ended up second on the other child's list. But all else considered, both kids could have been happy there.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
such a new experience for us.......My child wants to go to a smaller school.......child is smart and very dedicated to studies......Not a genius but works hard at studies and it reflects.......Very serious about med school.....has been their goal since we can remember........what school suggestions are linked up to hospitals.......
Moravian is a better-than-average college, as is Muhlenberg, but I have another suggestion if your child is looking for a small high-quality school in PA, and is interested in going on to medical school. As a school counselor, I recommended Juniata College, in Huntingdon, PA, to my more capable students who wanted a small, high-quality college, and those who visited the campus almost always decided to enroll.

Aside from having excellent facilities, a very dedicated faculty, and an incredibly safe environment, what might interest you about Juniata is the amazingly high acceptance rate of its students who apply to medical & dental school. Many colleges will boast of a high acceptance rate for their students who apply to medical & dental schools, but VERY few can match Juniata's historical record of a better-than-90% acceptance rate. In fact, I doubt if you will find many schools that can match Juniata's acceptance rate to those post-graduate schools.

Additionally, I can say that Juniata offers very good financial aid, due to its affiliation with (and financial support from) from The Church of The Brethren. However, there is absolutely no indoctrination into that religion, and there isn't even a theology requirement in the curriculum. As, "Corky", the Director of Admissions with whom I used to be familiar would say, during the orientation tour of campus, they point out the location of the chapel to students, and that is the last time that religion is ever mentioned to the students. However, the strong financial support of that church group enables the school to provide excellence at a fair price, and to provide generous financial aid for those in need.

"Juniata" means, "beautiful place", in the local American Indian dialect, and that name is well-earned. The town of Huntingdon is just about dead-center in the state, and is pretty much a small-town-America type of place where the students are about as safe as is possible, while getting an outstanding education. Please don't mispronounce the name as, "Juanita", as so many people seem to do. The name is Juniata, and it is a wonderful place for your child to prepare for professional studies.

And, please don't fall into the trap of thinking...but I never heard of this college.
What matters is that the admissions staff at medical, dental, & law schools have heard of it, and they look very favorably on students coming from Juniata College.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

At the end of the day the most useless med student who graduates is still called "Doctor".
That's really scary. But the truth.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
All the schools mentioned so far are in PA or NY. Since this is the NJ forum, I'll mention a NJ school - Drew University in Madison. It's a great small college that has a lot of doctors among its alumni, and they have an arrangement with UMDNJ for a seven-year program resulting in a BA & MD.

Pre-Med | College of Liberal Arts | Drew University

Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
That's really scary. But the truth.
Or those who can't cut med school..."dentist"

Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Or those who can't cut med school..."dentist"
I think you mean Chiropractor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey